Last changed 8 September 2022
Warlpiri non-linguistic references
Partial, non-uniform coverage
Ordered by year, new to old, and alphabetically by author
within each year.
This listing has a partial and non-uniform coverage. It shows its
origins as a list of references about (or mentioning) Warlpiri that
do not fit in the linguistics
bibliography, song bibliography,
or motion pictures and multimedia
Warlpiri Youth Development Aboriginal Corporation (previously Mt
Theo – Yuendumu Substance Misuse Aboriginal Corporation):
Newsletters and other documents at http://wydac.org.au
There are many articles in Land Rights
Australia, only a few listed here.
A lot of
postings (to 2014) at Friends of
Bilingual Learning Google Group concerned Warlpiri schools.
Send additions and corrections to the compiler, David Nash.
A bibliography of Warlpiri ethnographic literature is available
(on paper) from AIATSIS
Hint: To find a particular author's name, or key term, use
your Web browser's Find command.
- Kube, Paul. 2022. The task and problem of translating the
bible into Australia's Indigenous languages.
Journal of Mission Studies (AJMS) 16.1,2-12. *
pp.8-10: interview with Eddie and Lottie about Warlpiri bible
- Hargraves, Ned Jampijinpa, Samara Fernandez-Brown, Harry
Jakamarra Nelson, Robin Japanangka Granites, Eddie Jampijinpa
Robertson, Valerie Napaljarri Martin, Margaret Napanangka Brown,
Warren Japanangka Williams, Louanna Napangardi Williams &
Georgia Curran. 2022. Justice for Walker: Warlpiri responses to
the police shooting of Kumunjayi Walker. The Australian
Journal of Anthropology https://doi.org/10.1111/taja.12446
- Shorten, Kristin. 2022. (1) Out of Yuendumu: how violence
seeps through generations. The Weekend Australian 28-29
May 2022, pages 1,10-11; editorial page 14. (2) I didn't
want dad jailed, but I was scared he would kill me.The
Australian 30 May 2022, pages 1-2. (3) 'I want to go home
but I don't feel safe there' The Australian 31 May 2022,
- O’Shannessy, Carmel, Marlkirdi Napaljarri Rose, Elaine Nangala
Johnson & Gracie Napaljarri White. 2022. ‘I could still be
myself as a Warlpiri person’: How bilingual education achieves
community development aims,pp. 163–188 in Deborah Hill &
Felix K. Ameka (eds), Languages, linguistics and development
practices. Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3- 030-93522-1 7. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-93522-1
- Miller, Michael E. 2022. Acquittal in Aboriginal town stirs
ghosts of Australia’s last massacre. Washington Post May
11, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/05/11/zachary-rolfe-kumanjayi-walker-coniston-massacre/
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2022. Why hold a winter solstice ceremony
once in 24 years and then never again? Presented in the
Anthropology seminar series, ANU, 7 March.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2021. Stormbird kin-making and
interspecies care: ethnographic stories from Central Australia.
Presented to the annual meeting of AAS, Friday 26 November,
* "This paper follows lines of flight of channel-billed cuckoos
as they interweave multispecies beings in Central Australia. I
link Warlpiri ethnography with my observations of crows caring
for cuckoos to explore alternate possibilities to the domination
and exclusion of unwanted species."
- Farrell, Jenny. 2021. Provenance, by Kate Thompson: fighting
inequality and injustice to Aboriginal peoples [review of
Thompson 2019]. Culture Matters 15 November 2021
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2021. See how we roll: Enduring exile
between desert and urban Australia. Global Insecurities
series. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. doi:10.2307/j.ctv1wdvx78
* "follows the experiences of Nungarrayi, a Warlpiri woman from
the central Australian desert, as she struggles to establish a
new life for herself in the city of Adelaide"
- Yitaki mani: master trackers turn teachers. [Central Land
Council] News, 18 November 2021. https://www.clc.org.au/yitaki-mani-master-trackers-turn-teachers/
- New Yuendumu enterprise takes everyone the extra mile.
[Central Land Council] News, 18 October 2021. https://www.clc.org.au/new-yuendumu-enterprise-takes-everyone-the-extra-mile/
* XTRA MILE TRANSPORT
- Presentations at Knowledge Intersections Symposium, 20 – 21
September 2021, Desert Knowledge Precinct, Alice Springs. https://www.dka.com.au/activities/dkri/knowledge-symposium
• Fiona Gibson, Barbara Martin, Louise Stanley, and Danielle
Campbell: Yapa to Yapa research – the story of WETT Tracking and
• Emma Browne and Fiona Gibson: Innovation and continuity: Using
oral and written texts in the Warlpiri classroom
• Carmel O'Shannessy, Vanessa Davis, Denise Foster, Jessie
Bartlett, and Alice Nelson: Little Kids' Word List
- Ham, Anthony. 2021. The indigenous keepers of the Outback's
secrets. 15th September 2021 In BBC Travel series '50 Reasons to
Love the World' https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20210914-the-indigenous-keeper-of-the-outbacks-secrets
* "Located a remote corner of the Great Sandy Desert, Newhaven
Wildlife Sanctuary is how the Outback used to look before
European settlers arrived."
- Proud in Culture, Strong in Spirit – Yuendumu Doors Exhibition
Launched. Solomon Times Tuesday, 3 August 2021 https://www.solomontimes.com/feature/proud-in-culture-strong-in-spirit--yuendumu-doors-exhibition-launched/620
- Mabin, Saskia. 2021. History-changing Yuendemu Doors lead
Indigenous dreaming art to China and beyond. ABC News https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-17/yuendumu-doors-exhibition-in-china/100278100
* based on 1981–82 with the Warlpiri women in Willowra
- Curran, Georgia & Otto Jungarrayi Sims. 2021. Performing purlapa:
Projecting Warlpiri identity in a globalised world. The Asia
Pacific Journal of Anthropology 22.2-3,203–219. Special
issue 'The Value of Ethnographic Research on Music' edited by
Georgia Curran & Mahesh Radhakrishnan.
https://doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2021.1913510 * about a purlapa
at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Canberra
- Dowsett, Sudiipta Shamalii. 2021. Sampling ceremony: Hip-hop
workshops and intergenerational cultural production in the
central Australian desert. The Asia Pacific Journal of
Anthropology 22.2-3,184–202. Special issue 'The Value of
Ethnographic Research on Music' edited by Georgia Curran &
Mahesh Radhakrishnan. https://doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2021.1914713
* includes Milpirri festival 2018
- Jones Morais, Megan. 2021. Documenting the Dreaming: Designs
and songs of the present, in the past, for the future. The
Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology 22.2-3,119–139.
Special issue 'The Value of Ethnographic Research on Music'
edited by Georgia Curran & Mahesh Radhakrishnan. https://doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2021.1917647
- Baarda, Frank D. 2021. My Yuendumu story : Yurntumu
ngaju-nyangu yimi. 396pp. Yuendumu, NT: Ngurra Publishing
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2021. Same monster, different meanings:
how Indigenous ideas about the PangkarlanguHairypeople have
changed. The Conversation July 5, 2021 2.51pm AEST https://theconversation.com/same-monster-different-meanings-how-indigenous-ideas-about-the-pangkarlangu-hairypeople-have-changed-160004
- Stories Of Bike Ep. 6. : see wlp-film.html
- Nash, David. 2021. Luther, Maurice Jupurrurla (c.1945–1985). Australian
of Biography. National Centre of Biography, ANU. https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/luther-maurice-jupurrurla-30109/
* published online 19 January 2021
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2020. The silence of the donkeys:
sensorial entanglements between people and animals at Willowra
and beyond. The Australian Journal of Anthropology.
Advance online publication. http://doi.org/10.1111/taja.12383
* presented to the AAS conference, Canberra
- Reece, Reverend Laurie. 2020. We sat where they sat : the
history of the commencement of Baptist missionary work amongst
the Warlpiri of central Australia. Alice Springs: Friends
of the Strehlow Research Centre. https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/239307712
* available from Finke River Mission, ph. 08 8952 4666 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Park, William. 2020. What can different cultures teach about
boredom? BBC - Travel 10 December 2020 http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201209-what-can-different-cultures-teach-about-boredom
* quotes Yasmine Musharbash
- Lopez, Barry. 2020. Barry Lopez: Love in a time of
terror. On natural landscapes, metaphorical living, and Warlpiri
identity. Literary Hub August 7, 2020 https://lithub.com/barry-lopez-love-in-a-time-of-terror/
* Willowra * also mentions in his 2019 book Horizon.
- Curran, Georgia, Myfany Turpin, and Mary Laughren. 2020.
Ethnobiology resources for on-country learning in Central
Australia. FEL24, 23–25 September. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/hebrew-jewish/events/2020/sep/online-foundation-endangered-languages-annual-conference-fel24
Online conference hosted by UCL, London.
- This is Warlukurlangu, edited by Samara Fernandez. 130+
pages. Published by NORTH magazine. https://www.northhome.org/collections/publications/products/copy-of-60x60-tiwi-cushion-jilamara
* announced in 'Inaugural NORTH publication celebrates Warlpiri
creatives' by Grace Crivellaro
14 September 2020 https://nit.com.au/inaugural-north-publication-celebrates-warlpiri-creatives/
- Patrick Waterhouse. ‘Restricted Images’ – made with the
Warlpiri of Central Australia. September 3 – October 24, 2020
Gallery,Westerdok 824, 1013 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
L'Œil de la Photographie
11 September 11 2020 https://loeildelaphotographie.com/en/the-ravestijn-gallery-patrick-waterhouse-restricted-images-df/
- Anon. [Sarah Butler?] 2020. IMW Scholarship: Willowra
Community. 6 February . https://www.imwaustralia.com/newsroom/imw-scholarship-willowra-community
* Warlpiri participation in Indigenous Mapping Workshop (IMW),
held in Perth in August 2019
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2020. Sutton's model of underlying
and proximate customary title and the Lander Warlpiri region.
Chapter 13, pages 213-231 in Ethnographer and contrarian:
Biographical and anthropological essays in honour of Peter
Sutton, edited by Julie Finlayson & Frances Morphy.
ISBN 978 1743057568 Adelaide: Wakefield Press. https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1627
- Swartz, Steve. 2020. Broken pot: The making of the
Warlpiri Bible. Mona Vale: Ark House Press, a division of
Initiate Media. http://www.arkhousepress.com/broken-pot-the-making-of-
the-warlpiri-bible/ * Standing on giants
(excerpts), Chapter 15 of Broken Pot. https://hammeroffaith.blogspot.com/2020/05/chapter-15-standing-on-giants.html?view=sidebar
* excerpts on the beginnings of SIL work at Hooker Ck (Lajamanu)
- Stead, Jeffrey, Mary Laughren, and Robert Graham. 2020. The
politics of suffering: some contrarian reflections. Chapter 10,
pages 133-151 in Ethnographer and contrarian: Biographical
and anthropological essays in honour of Peter Sutton,
edited by Julie Finlayson & Frances Morphy. ISBN 978
1743057568 Adelaide: Wakefield Press. https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1627
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2020. Culture, development and the future
of remote Aboriginal communities. Chapter 9, pages 120-132 in Ethnographer
contrarian: Biographical and anthropological essays in honour
of Peter Sutton, edited by Julie Finlayson & Frances
Morphy. ISBN 978 1743057568 Adelaide: Wakefield Press. https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1627
* Warlpiri p.126
- Nicholls, Christine. 2020. Yanjilypiri Jukurrpa’ (‘Star
Dreaming at Yarripirlangu’), pages 98-99 in ACU Art
Collection : A new perspective, edited by Caroline Field.
[Fitzroy, Victoria] : Australian Catholic University. https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/265923496
* on artist Paddy Sims Japaljarri * https://ehive.com/collections/7316/objects/943480/yanjilypiri-star-yilpinji-suite
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2020. Indigenising anthropology with
Guattari and Deleuze. Plateaus – New Directions in Deleuze
Studies. Edinburgh University Press. https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-indigenising-anthropology-with-guattari-and-deleuze.html
* a collection of essays from Barbara Glowczewski’s 40 years of
research with Aboriginal Australians in conversation with
- Gibson, Nakakut Barbara Nakamarra. 2020. Prelude: The Wooden
Egg Made Me Sick. Glowczewski 2020:1–3
- Thompson, Kate. 2019. Provenance. Liminal Books. https://www.book2look.com/book/yyYJhQmzuU
* "Provenance is set in and around a fictional Warlpiri
community at the western edge of the Tanami desert in central
Australia. It is the story of an English doctor, whose love of
the red desert country brings him to work in the remote
community. [...]"; acknowledgements: “Thanks also to the
residents, yapa and kardiya, of the Warlpiri
community of Yuendumu, who were so generous with their time and
knowledge.” * reviewed by Farrell 2021
- Yapa show Puliima conference how to keep Warlpiri strong. Land
News Central Australia 9.3, 11. https://www.clc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Land-Rights-News-October-2019.pdf
- Willowra mapping project wins grant. Land Rights News
Central Australia 9.3, 13. https://www.clc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Land-Rights-News-October-2019.pdf
* 2019 Indigenous Mapping Workshop Australia, Perth
- Emu Rock Hole rescue. Land Rights News Central Australia
9.3, 16. https://www.clc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Land-Rights-News-October-2019.pdf
* "25 kilometres south-east of Lajamanu"
- Nyirrpi art centre celebrates culture, creativity and
employment. Land Rights News Central Australia 9.3, 23.
- Olive Pink story to hit the big screen. Land Rights News
Central Australia 9.3, 23. https://www.clc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Land-Rights-News-October-2019.pdf
- Animal tracking app celebrates trail of success. 29 Nov 2019.
CSIRO. * about Tracks App, in Warlpiri https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2019/Animal-tracking-app-celebrates-trail-of-success
- Curran, Georgia. 2019. Sustaining indigenous songs:
Contemporary Warlpiri ceremonial life in central Australia.
Berghahn Books. ISBN 978-1-78920-607-4
- Curran, Georgia, Linda Barwick, Myfany Turpin, Fiona Walsh,
and Mary Laughren. 2020. Central Australian Aboriginal songs and
biocultural knowledge: Evidence from women’s ceremonies relating
to edible seeds. Journal
Ethnobiology 39.3,354-370 * Warlpiri and Anmatyerr *
- Fleming, Joan. 2019. Kardiya as kindergartener: The
poetics of ignorance in the Central Desert. Meanjin
- KURDIJI 1.0 Aboriginal Resilience Building App is here!
Posted on February 28, 2019 by Judith Crispin. https://kurdijiapp.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/kurdiji-1-0-aboriginal-resilience-building-app-is-here/
* see also https://www.facebook.com/kurdiji1.0/
- Mortimer, Lorraine. 2019. Roger Sandall’s films and
contemporary anthropology: explorations in the aesthetic, the
existential and the possible. Indiana: Indiana University Press.
* a chapter on the Ngajakula and one about the ritual films
(which she has not seen)
- Nicholls, Christine. 2019. A wild roguery: Bruce Chatwin’s The
Songlines reconsidered. Text Matters: A Journal of
Literature, Theory and Culture (issue title 'Roguery &
(Sub)Versions') 9,22-49. De Gruyter; published Wydawnictwo
Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego https://czasopisma.uni.lodz.pl/textmatters/article/view/5875
* situates reviewer's background at Lajamanu
- Presterudstuen, Geir Henning and Yasmine Musharbash (eds).
2019. Monster anthropology: Ethnographic explorations of
transforming social worlds through monsters. Bloomsbury
Academic. * https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/monster-anthropology-9781350096257/
Introduction: Monsters and change
- 3. Yasmine Musharbash. Pangkarlangu, wonder, extinction
5. Christine Judith Nicholls. Monster Mash: what happens when
Aboriginal monsters are co-opted into the mainstream
7. Georgia Curran. Bird/Monsters and contemporary social fears
in the central desert of Australia
8. Joanne Thurman. The nine-night siege: Kurdaitcha at the
interface of Warlpiri/Non-Indigenous relations
- Nicholls, Christine Judith. 2019. Monster mash: What happens
when Aboriginal monsters are co-opted into the mainstream? In
Geir Henning Presterudstuen & Yasmine Musharbash (eds) Monster
anthropology: Ethnographic explorations of transforming social
worlds through monsters, chap. 5, 89–112. Bloomsbury
- Tavendale, Olwyn. 2019. Painting country: Spatial, somatic and
linguistic experience in central Australian Aboriginal art. Oceania
89.1,104–123. doi: 10.1002/ocea.5212
- Seymour, Tom and Brennavan Sritharan. 2019. Restricted
Images by Patrick Waterhouse and the Warlpiri. British Journal
of Photography. Published on 7 March 2019. https://www.bjp-online.com/2019/03/restricted-images-by-patrick-waterhouse-and-the-warlpiri/
- Morton 2019: see Jennings 2012
- Watson, Mark K. 2019. [review of:] An Australian indigenous
diaspora: Warlpiri matriarchs and the refashioning of tradition.
Anthropological Forum 29.4,430–432. https://doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2019.1636532
* Burke 2018
- 'Taking desert art to the world'. Conversations. Sarah
Kanowski with Cecilia Alfonso.
* Warlukurlangu Artists, Yuendumu
- Anderson, Drew. 2018. The Global in the Local: Development and
International NGO Practice in Central Australia. Anthropology,
- Anderson, Drew. 2017. New subjects or old categories? An
ethnographic critique of the intercultural. Presented to
'Australian anthropology and post-colonialism' session,
AAS/ASA/ASAANZ 2017 'Shifting States', Adelaide, 11-15 December
2017 * abstract in https://nomadit.co.uk/shiftingstates/conferencesuite.php/panels/5992
- Bellos, Alex. 2018. Can you solve it? An Aboriginal family
puzzle. The Guardian 3 Dec 2018 https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/03/can-you-solve-it-an-aboriginal-family-puzzle
* based on NACLO 2013
- Burke, Paul. 2018. An Australian Indigenous diaspora:
Warlpiri matriarchs and the refashioning of tradition. New
York, Oxford: Berghahn. http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/BurkeAustralian
* reviewed by Watson 2019
- Curran, Georgia. 2018. On the poetic imagery of smoke in
Warlpiri songs. Anthropological Forum
28.2(June),183-196. DOI 10.1080/00664677.2018.1443794
- Fleming, Megan Joan. 2018. The limits of imaginative sympathy:
Reading and writing the incommensurable in ethnography and
ethnopoetics.Doctor of Philosophy (Creative Writing), Faculty of
Arts, Monash University DOI: 10.26180/5be221574dc1c
- Fleming, Joan. 2018. The limits of knowledge: A reflexive
reading of Warlpiri poetics. JEASA
| Journal of the European Association for Studies of
Australia 9.1 * http://www.australianstudies.eu/?p=882
* about Gallagher et al 2014 Jardiwanpa yawulyu
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2018. Lajamanu – 40 years with the
Warlpiri people. Film screening, 8 November 2018, AIATSIS.
- Gordon, Oliver, et al. 2018. Mapping the Coniston massacre.
Saturday 8 September 2018 6:20PM
Interviewer: Oliver Gordon. Dwayne Ross, traditional owner of
Yurrkuru waterhole east of Yuendumu. Petronella Vaarzon-Morel,
anthropologist. Georgia Stewart, coordinates community
development projects at the Central Land Council http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/awaye/2018-09-08/10209510
with audio https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/podcast/2018/09/aye_20180908_1820.mp3
- Gosford, Bob, and Frank Baarda. 2018. 10 more years of “beads
and mirrors” – Yuendumu’s 2008 ‘Statement from the Heart’. The
Northern Myth [blog] Mar 4, 2018 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2018/03/04/10-years-beads-mirrors-yuendumus-2008-statement-heart/
- Gosford, Bob. 2018. Essential documents from Aboriginal
Australia: 7 – the 2008 Yuendumu Petition. [includes Warlpiri
The Northern Myth [blog] Mar 4, 2018 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2018/03/04/essential-documents-aboriginal-australia-7-2008-yuendumu-petition/
- Hinkson, Melinda & Eve Vincent. 2018. Shifting indigenous
Australian realities: Dispersal, damage, and resurgence:
Introduction. Oceania 88.3,240–253. doi:10.1002/ocea.5200
* Special Issue: Shifting Indigenous Australian Realities:
Dispersal, Damage, and Resurgence
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2018. In and out of place: Ethnography as
‘journeying with’ between central and south Australia. Oceania
88.3,254–268. doi:10.1002/ocea.5201 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ocea.5201
* Special Issue: Shifting Indigenous Australian Realities:
Dispersal, Damage, and Resurgence
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2018. Yulyurdu: smoke in the desert. Anthropological
Forum 28.2(June),116-125. DOI
- Smith, Keith Vincent. 2018. The door is a painting the
painting is a door. 6pp. PDF https://www.academia.edu/37955834/The_door_is_a_painting_the_painting_is_a_door
* about 'Big Yam' by Paddy Nelson Jupurrula, 1984 * "Updated
from an essay in my 1999 course ‘Aboriginal Central Australia’
at Macquarie University, Sydney, tutored by Dr Jennifer Biddle"
- Spillman, David. 2018. The brumby dance episode: On the value
of cultural continuity within the localised complexity of remote
Indigenous education [online]. Australian Aboriginal Studies
No. 1, 2018, 19-28. https://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=719057751394997;res=IELIND
* associated video https://aiatsis.gov.au/7474552541
* "The brumby dance episode occurred as a Warlpiri-inspired
response to an emotionally charged conversation regarding the
Northern Territory Emergency Response." Lajamanu
- Ward, Gillian. 2018. Olive Pink : artist, activist &
gardener : a life in flowers. Richmond, Victoria : Hardie
Grant Books. https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/230472652
* includes Olive Pink at Thompson's Rockhole, and Papinya.
- Cooper, Luke. 2017. Indigenous Elders Are Creating A
Mobile App To Tackle High Suicide Rates. HuffPost
04/04/2017 6:49 AM AEST | Updated 04/04/2017 1:55 PM
- In People and change in Indigenous Australia edited by
Diane Austin-Broos and Francesca Merlan. Honolulu: University of
• Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2017. Reconfiguring relational
personhood among Lander Warlpiri.
• Burke, Paul. 2017. Bold women of the Warlpiri diaspora who
went too far.
• Musharbash, Yasmine. 2017. Predicaments of proximity: revising
relatedness in a Warlpiri town.
- Fleming, Joan. 2017. ‘Seated between the eyes of two worlds’:
The intercultural work of
Craig San Roque. PAN:
Activism, Nature 13,36-45. DOI:10.4225/03/5ab86cbdd9223
refers also to Cataldi & Rockman
- Paul, Mandy & Michaelangelo Bolognese (eds). 2017. Bush
from Yuendumu to the world. Mile End, SA: Wakefield Press.
* Foreword by Paul Rees, chapters by Georgine Clarsen, Melinda
Hinkson, David Batty & Francis Jupurrurla Kelly,
Michaelangelo Bolognese, and Mandy Paul * https://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/product.php?productid=1397
* accompanied National
Motor Museum’s Bush Mechanics exhibition 2020–22
- Sherman, Louise and Christobel Mattingley (eds). 2017. Our
mob, God's story : Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
artists share their faith. Art selection by Max Conlon,
Gail Naden, Glenny Naden and Inawantji Scales. Sydney, NSW :
Bible Society Australia https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/243355458
* Warlpiri: Clarise Nampijinpa Poulson, pp32-34; Annette
Nampijinpa Patrick, p120; Jenny Nakamarra Timms; Charmaine
Napurrurla Brown; Pastor Jerry Jangala, pp214-5
- [Curran, Georgia et al]. 2017. Yurntumu-wardingki
juju-ngaliya-kurlangu yawulyu: Warlpiri women’s songs from
Yuendumu. 112pp. Accompanying CD set with songs Batchelor
* song audio at https://call.batchelor.edu.au/project/yuendumu-wardingki/
* publicity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ8VfzzznHc
by NT Writers' Centre, published on 3 Sep 2017
- Turpin, Myfany & Nigel Fabb. 2017. Brilliance as cognitive
complexity in Aboriginal Australia. Oceania
- Patrick, Wanta Jampijinpa. 2017. Wangkayarla Nguruku, Kapungku
Nguruju Pina Wangkami-jarla. pp.183–189 in Australia : the
Vatican Museum’s Indigenous collection, edited by
Katherine Aigner. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press : Edizioni
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2017. Telling Warlpiri dog stories. Anthropological
Forum 27.2, 95-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2017.1303603
Published online 23 Mar 2017
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2017. Precarious placemaking. Annual
Review of Anthropology 46.1, 49– 64. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-anthro-102116-041624.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2017. Beyond assimilation and refusal: a
Warlpiri perspective on the politics of recognition. Postcolonial
Studies 20.1,86–100. https://doi.org/10.1080/13688790.2017.1334281
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2017. Working with Warlpiri
Cosmopolitics and Cultural Reappropriation: 1979-2017. Presented
10 April 2017 at the Conservatorium of Music, The University of
- • Chapter 1, pp3-24. Françoise Dussart and Sylvie Poirier.
Knowing and managing the land: The conundrum of coexistence and
• Chapter 9, pp.186-211. Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. Alien
relations: Ecological and ontological dilemmas posed for
Indigenous Australians in the management of “feral” camels on
• Chapter 11, pp.235-252. Nicolas Peterson. Is there a role for
anthropology in cultural reproduction? Maps, mining and the
‘cultural future’ in central Australia.
- In Françoise Dussart and Sylvie Poirier, eds. 2017. Entangled
: Negotiating Indigenous lands in Australia and Canada.
Toronto; Buffalo; London : University of Toronto Press. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/961155423
* from a session 'Relationships to the Land: Ontological
Resistance and Entanglement in the 21st Century' at CHaGS 10
(10th Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies), Liverpool,
- Eccles, Jeremy. 2017. Warlpiri Act of Memory. Larry
Jungarrayi's famous drawing of 'The Malaka's House' in the
Warlpiri Drawings Collection. 09.02.17 http://www.amw.org.au/register/listings/warlpiri-drawings-1953-54
* Lajamanu * also many media items such as http://news.aboriginalartdirectory.com/2017/02/warlpiri-act-of-memory-1.php
- Baarda, Frank. 2017. Law, disorder and CAALAS – the view from
Yuendumu. The Northern Myth [blog] 14 Nov 2017 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2017/11/14/law-disorder-caalas-view-yuendumu/
- Warlpiri dancers to showcase Australia’s common ground. NIT
(National Indigenous Times) October 4, 2016 http://nit.com.au/warlpiri-dancers-showcase-australias-common-ground/
* Milpirri Kurdiji, Lajamanu, 15 October
- Ngurra Walalja Warra Warra Kanjaku Kurlulu-Warnu Tanami Yapa
Marlpa Walyaku. / Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area
Storybook Plan of Management http://www.walyaku.org.au
December 2016 at 18:18:40 AEDT
tells it the Warlpiri way. National Indigenous Times
November 23, 2016. http://nit.com.au/ditigal-storybook-tells-warlpiri-way/
* Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area (IPA) plan of
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and James Wafer. 2016. "Bilingual
time" at Willowra: The beginnings of a community-initiated
program, 1976–1977, In Brian Devlin, Nancy Devlin and Samantha
Disbray (eds) History of bilingual education in the Northern
Territory: People, programs and policies. Springer.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2016. Continuity and change in
Warlpiri practices of marking the landscape, pp.201–228, Chapter
10 in Marking the land: Hunter-gatherer creation of meaning
in their environment, edited by William A. Lovis and
Robert Whallon. Routledge Studies in Archaeology. Taylor &
- Rennie, Ellie, Eleanor Hogan, Robin Gregory, Andrew Crouch,
Alyson Wright and Julian Thomas. 2016. Internet on the
Outstation: The Digital Divide and Remote Aboriginal
Communities. No. 19. 228 pages. Print on Demand.
Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures. ISBN:
* Mungalawurru is one of the 3 outstations studied; a
preliminary survey included Ali Curung
- [Patrick], [Steve] Jampijinpa and [Gretta] Louw. The Home
Within: YAMA and Ngurra Kurlu. 15/07/2016. YAMA multimedia
installation at Furtherfield Gallery [North London], Warnayaka
Art Centre, Neil Jupurrurla Cooke, & Gretta Louw
- Nicholls, Christine Judith. 2016. Friday Essay: land, kinship
and ownership of ‘Dreamings’. The Conversation March 18,
2016 6.19am AEDT https://theconversation.com/friday-essay-land-kinship-and-ownership-of-dreamings-39637
* includes sections 'Warlpiri kinship and the Jukurrpa', 'Kirda
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2016. The Postcolonial Dog, and other dog
tales from Yuendumu, NT. Presented in Anthropology Seminar
Series, ANU, 9:30am 23 March.
- Munn, Nancy. 2016. The Walbiri sand story, chap. 9, pp.231–251
in The visual narrative reader, edited by Neil Cohn.
London: Bloomsbury Publishing. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=bgOrCgAAQBAJ
* reprinted from 1963
- Louw, Gretta, Lily Hibberd, Brook Andrew, Curtis Taylor, Jenny
Fraser, Sharon Nampijinpa Anderson and the Warnayaka Art Centre.
Networking the Unseen. [exhibition] 18 June – 14 August 2016,
Furtherfield Gallery, McKenzie Pavilion, Finsbury Park, London
- Laughren, Mary. 2016. Desert dreamers: With the Warlpiri
people of Australia [book review]. Australian Aboriginal
Studies 2016/2,132-135. http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=522858250701947;res=IELIND
* see Glowczewski 2016
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2016. In the company of images. presented to
Refiguring Techniques in Digital-Visual Research
9 September 2016, RMIT University, Melbourne. https://refiguringthevisual.wordpress.com/about/
- 'Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels (Granites): Warlpiri leader, teacher
and artist.' Presented by Natalie Kestecher. PocketDocs, ABC
Radio National. 4 March 2016 9:04AM http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/pocketdocs/dolly-nampijinpa-daniels-warlpiri-leader/7157550
- Finnane, Kieran. 2016. Trouble : on trial in central
Australia. St Lucia, Queensland. University of Queensland
Press. ISBN 9780702254031 * 'Trouble at the turn-off', pp.61–87
(Alekarenge); 'Warlpiri versus the Queen', pp.184–211 (Liam
- Eickelkamp, Ute. 2016. Remembering the future: Warlpiri lives
through the prism of drawing. The Asia Pacific Journal of
Anthropology 17.1, 88-91 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2015.1086470
* review of Hinkson 2014
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2016. Desert dreamers.
Minneapolis: Univocal Publishing. ISBN/Code: 9781937561963
322 pages http://www.univocalpublishing.com/univocal-books/desert-dreamers
* Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5749/j.ctt1b9x2sr
* an updated translation of Les rêveurs du désert, Plon,
1989 * "An ethnographic adventure exploring the Warlpiri and
their cultural practices of “the dreaming” in relation to their
societal laws, ritual art, and connection with the cosmos" *
reviewed by Laughren 2016
- Crispin, Judith. 2016 [appeared 2017] The Lumen Seed:
Records of a Search in the Australian Desert. Foreword by
Juno Gemes. [United States] Daylight Books, . ISBN
* contains photographs, drawings and poems about the indigenous
Warlpiri people of Australia's Northern Tanami Desert [Lajamanu]
* AIATSIS library B C932.72/L1
- Brooks, Sally. 2016. Warlpiri people unite under desert skies
for epic Indigenous dance performance. ABC News http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-16/desert-dance-performance-unites-central-australia's-warlpiri/7936872
* Milpirri, 15 October, Lajamanu
- Bevis, Steve. 2016. Exegeting the Jukurrpa in Warlpiri
Christianity and the struggle over indigeneity, Chapter 6, pages
92-120 in Religious Categories and the Construction of the
Indigenous, edited by Christopher Hartney and Daniel
Tower. Supplements to Method & Theory in the Study of
Religion. Brill. https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004328983_007
- Bevis, Steve. 2016. New songs and old songlines: Aboriginal
Christianity and post-mission Australia, chapter 7, pages
129-156 in Religion and non-religion among Australian
Aboriginal peoples, edited by James L. Cox and Adam
Possamai. Routledge. * includes Lajamanu and influence of Rev
Graham Paulson https://www.routledge.com/Religion-and-Non-Religion-among-Australian-Aboriginal-Peoples/Cox-Possamai/p/book/9781472443830
- Biddle, Jennifer Loureide. 2016. Remote avant-garde:
Aboriginal art under occupation. Durham, NC: Duke
University Press. ISBN 978-0-8223-6071-1 http://www.dukeupress.edu/remote-avant-garde
* a chapter as well as Introduction are Warlpiri specific * https://books.google.com.au/books?id=zFzSsgEACAAJ
- Rees, Sarah Lynn. 2015. Ngurra. Dwelling in the physical,
social, political, environmental cultural and economic landscape
of remote Australian Aboriginal communities. A design thesis
submitted in Partial fulfilment of the requirements of the Mphil
in architecture and urban design examination 2013–2015.
University of Cambridge Kings College, 31st July 2015.
- Rees, Sarah Lynn. 2015. Consultation: the 'Yapa Way'. Essay 5
Procurement essay, for MPhil, University of Cambridge. In
FIELDWORK LOGBOOK https://cdrsrees.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/february-15/
- Doi, Yukihiro. 2015. Milpirri at Lajamanu as an intercultural
locus of Warlpiri discourses with others. Thesis (PhD), ANU. http://hdl.handle.net/1885/101475
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2015. Place, personhood and
marginalization: ontology and community in remote desert
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2015. Review of Melinda Hinkson Remembering
Future: Warlpiri Life Through the Prism of Drawing
(Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press 2015) Aboriginal
History 39 http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p332783/html/review14.xhtml?referer=1790&page=33#
- Patrick, Wanta Steve Jampijinpa. 2015. Pulya-ranyi:
Winds of Change. Cultural Studies Review Special
Edition Same but Different (eds. Biddle and Stefanoff)
- Nicholls, Christine. 2015. Obituary: Jeannie Nungarrayi's
skill in the Warlpiri language made her an advocate for
bilingual programs. Sydney Morning Herald 5 February
* Jeannie Herbert Punayi Nungarrayi 1953–2014
- Newth, Tim, David McMicken, and Jennifer Biddle. 2015.
Milpirri: Jennifer Biddle in Discussion with Tracks Dance
Company. Cultural Studies Review Special Edition Same
but Different (eds. Biddle and Stefanoff) 21.1,132–48. http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4421/4755
- Gosford, Bob. 2015. 37
the only number that matters at the Yuendumu Sports Weekend.
Crikey! blog The Northern Myth Aug 01, 2015
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2015. Devires Totêmicos —
Cosmopolítica do Sonho / Totemic Becomings —
Cosmopolitics of the dreaming. Translated by Jamille
Pinheiro Dias e Abrahão de Oliveira Santos. São Paulo: N-1 publications. http://n-1publications.prosite.com/61727/6302751/catalog/devires-totemicos-totemic-becomings
* title from separate title pages with text in English and
Portugese on inverted pages ; bound back to back * includes
photos taken at Lajamanu * reviewed by Gerko Egert Anthrovison
4.1 reproducing 3 photographs, online https://journals.openedition.org/anthrovision/2291
- Finnane, Kieran. 2015. Yuendumu writes new chapter on the
beginnings of contemporary Western Desert art. Alice Springs
News Posted: July 31, 2015 at 7:58 am http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2015/07/31/yuendumu-writes-new-chapter-on-the-beginnings-of-contemporary-western-desert-art/
- Dixon, Robyn. 2015. In Australia's outback, troubled youths
find help in old traditions. Los Angeles Times 4 Jan
* Yuendumu, Mt. Theo
- Dixon, Robyn. 2015. Troubled youths find help, and traditions,
in Australia’s outback. Los Angeles Times Published Jan
9, 2015 at 12:02AM http://www.bendbulletin.com/nation/2762550-151/troubled-youths-find-help-and-traditions-in-australias#
* WYDAC, Yuendumu
- [Dussart, Françoise] 2015. Lifelines. Indigenous Contemporary
Art from Australia. 24 Oct 2015 to 5 Sep 2016. Musée de la
civilisation production in collaboration with the University of
Virginia's Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection. https://www.mcq.org/en/exposition?id=240296
- [Dussart, Françoise] 2015. Exhibit of Australian Indigenous
art displayed at Quebec City museum. The Canadian Press
October 23, 2015 9:43 AM ET http://news.nationalpost.com/life/travel/exhibit-of-australian-indigenous-art-displayed-at-quebec-city-museum
* includes 'The piece "Karrku Jukurrpa" is shown in a handout
- Corn, Aaron Japangardi and Wantarri Jampijinpa Patrick.
2015. Pulyaranyi: New educational contexts for transferring
Warlpiri knowledge. MULTI-DISCIPLINARY
IN THE ARTS e-JOURNAL 4.2 issue on 'Indigenous Education
In Australia: Place, Pedagogy and Epistemic Assumptions' http://education.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1391686/002_CORN_V2.pdf
- Burke, Paul. 2015. Rupture and readjustment of tradition:
Personal autonomy in the feminised Warlpiri diaspora in
Australia, Chapter 10, pp.215-234 in Strings of
Connectedness: Essays in Honour of Ian Keen,
edited by Peter Toner. ANU Press, Canberra. ISBN 9781925022629
(pbk) http://dx.doi.org/10.22459/SC.09.2015 * reviewed by Ingrid
Slotte Aboriginal History 40(2016) http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/n2179/html/review22.xhtml
- Bodey, Elisabeth. 2015?. Negotiating cross-cultural
conversations in painting: How the vocal melodic descent form
used in Warlpiri women’s ceremonies, in association with
notational structures of western composition, can contribute to
the formation of a new abstract visual language in a
cross-cultural conversation about place and space in
painting.PhD, Painting, School of Art, ANU. https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/waller-r
Small Songs No.3 (detail), 2013. Photograph: Matthew Stanton
- Biddle, Jennifer L. 2015. ‘”My Name is Danny”” Indigenous
Animation as Hyper-realism’ Angelaki 20.3,105-113 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0969725X.2015.1065127?journalCode=cang20
- Biddle, Jennifer and Lisa Stefanoff. 2015. ‘What is Same but
Different and why does it matter’ Introduction to Cultural
Studies Review Special Edition (eds. Biddle and Stefanoff)
‘Same but Different: experimentation and innovation in Desert
Arts’ 21.1,97-120 http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4418/4734
- Biddle, Jennifer with Tim Newth and David McMicken. 2015.
‘Milpirri: Jennifer Biddle in discussion with Tracks Dance
Company’ Cultural Studies Review Special Edition
Same but Different (eds. Biddle and Stefanoff) 21.1,132-148 http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4421/4735
- Bauer, Jan. 2015. The salty river. Ventnor, Vic.:
Twelve Panels Press. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/211834373
* first published in German Der
Fluss (Avant-Verlag, Berlin, 2014) * an
autobiographical comic book about a 450km walk along the
Larapinta Trail and on to Papunya then Yuendumu
- Chlanda, Erwin. 2014. Desert
money push leaves questions open. Alice Springs News
online Posted: November 16, 2014 at 12:38 pm * Yuendumu
Mediation & Justice Program (YMJP)
- Daly, Anne & Greg Barrett. 2014. Independent cost benefit
analysis of the Yuendumu Mediation and Justice Committee. 44 pp.
PDF 03/11/2014 http://www.centraldesert.nt.gov.au/sites/centraldesert.nt.gov.au/files/attachments/yuendumu_cba_0.pdf,
- Central Desert Regional Council. Yuendumu Mediation and
Justice Committee — Independent Cost Benefit Analysis. http://www.centraldesert.nt.gov.au/yuendumu-justice-and-mediation-committee-independent-cost-benefit-analysis
- Yasmine Musharbash and Geir Henning Presterudstuen (eds).
from Australasia and beyond. New York: Palgrave
Macmillan. * abstract
Yasmine Musharbash. 'Introduction: monsters, anthropology,
and monster studies', pages 1-24
- Joanne Thurman. 'Cave Men, Luminoids, and Dragons: Monstrous
creatures mediating relationships between people and country in
Aboriginal northern Australia', pages 25-38
Yasmine Musharbash. 'Monstrous transformations: A case study
from central Australia', pages 39-55
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2014. Warlpiri
art and culture explored by Melinda Hinkson. The
Australian, Review, 22 November 2014 12:00AM
- Waterford, Jack. 2014. S.A.L.V.A.T.I.O.N.
hand for hapless Aborigines. Canberra Times
November 15, 2014 - 11:30PM * Yuendumu
- South, Cath. 2014. Milpirri shows that black or white, we must
understand the country we walk on. Guardian 1 November
* "Wanta Jampijinpa Patrick, the creative director of
Milpirri, Lajamanu’s biannual cross-cultural event, says only
through ‘listening to country’ can all Australians feel at home
- Minutjukur, Makinti, Valerie Patterson, Sharon Anderson, Fiona
Gibson, Maisie Kitson, Barbara Martin, Valerie Martin, Hamilton
Morrison, Nancy Oldfield, Serena Shannon, Dorothea Randall,
Merril Namatjira and Raelene Larry. 2014. Voices from the
‘Red Dirt’ on education. Journal of Australian Indigenous
Issues 17.4,158-163. https://search.informit.org/doi/10.3316/informit.230452607147870
* from 2014 Garma Festival
- Hinkson, Melinda, 2014. Drawing Life: Warlpiri lines on a
changing world. Public lecture, National Museum of Australia,
5pm 15 October 2014. * 'Warlpiri drawings connect past and
present', 14 October 2014, http://cass.anu.edu.au/research/news/20141014/warlpiri-drawings-connect-past-and-present
- Eccles, Jeremy. 2014. Two senior artists lost to us.
Aboriginal Art Directory 22.10.14 http://news.aboriginalartdirectory.com/2014/10/two-senior-artists-lost-to-us.php
* Shorty Jangala Robertson, Yuendumu
- Corn, Aaron and Wantarri Jampijinpa Patrick. 2014. Singing the
winds of change: ethnomusicology and the generation of new
collaborative contexts for the teaching of Warlpiri knowledge
across generations and cultures,pp.147–168 in Katelyn Barney,
ed. Collaborative ethnomusicology: new approaches to music
research between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.
Volume 13 of Australasian music research, ISSN 1325-5266 http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/209102143
Melbourne: Lyrebird Press. * reviewed by Henry Johnson,
SITES: New Series · Vol 12 No 2 · 2015
- Austin, Calum Wilson. 2014. Lily
Hargraves’s canvases reflect her Warlpiri heritage. The
September 02, 2014 12:00AM
- Mills, Lyn. 2014. Capital airing for desert art. PS Social,
page 1, in PS News online, 423. Updated Tuesday, 19
August * http://www.psnews.com.au/aps/InFocuspsn423.html
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Remembering the future : Warlpiri
life through the prism of drawing. Canberra: Aboriginal
Studies Press. * http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/190123792
* reviewed by Eickelkamp 2016
- National Museum of Australia. 2014. Warlpiri Drawings. * 'This
exhibition tells the story of an intriguing collection of
Indigenous artworks created by Warlpiri people in Australia's
Northern Territory in the 1950s ...' http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions/warlpiri
- Nicholls, Christine Judith. 2014. Clever women: three Warlpiri
artists, now in Melbourne. The Conversation May 21, 2014
6.20am AEST https://theconversation.com/clever-women-three-warlpiri-artists-now-in-melbourne-25607
- Sleath, Emma. 2014. Early Aboriginal drawings showcased at the
National Museum. ABC Local 14 August, 2014 1:54PM ACST * http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014/08/14/4066967.htm
- Murray, Duncan. 2014. Aboriginal artists speak from beyond the
grave through crayon drawings. Canberra Times August 14,
2014 - 6:45PM http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/aboriginal-artists-speak-from-beyond-the-grave-through-crayon-drawings-20140814-1042dj.html
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2014. Pointing the phone:
Transforming technologies and social relations among Warlpiri.
(Special Issue: Communication Technology and Social Life:
Transformation, Continuity, Disorder and Difference) TAJA 25.2,239–255
- Keys, Cathy. 2014. Skin fabric iron shade, pp. 133–143 in Proceedings
the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and
New Zealand: 31, Translation, edited by Christoph Schnoor.
Auckland, New Zealand: SAHANZ and Unitec ePress; and Gold Coast,
Queensland: SAHANZ, 2014. https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_337405/Keys.pdf
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2014. From academic heritage to
Aboriginal priorities : anthropological responsibilities, in Australian
Aboriginal Anthropology Today: Critical Perspectives from
Europe (« Les actes »). Musée du quai Branly
(département de la recherche et de l’enseignement). [En ligne],
mis en ligne le 13 juin 2014, http://actesbranly.revues.org/526
- Box, Lance. Report on Study Leave Semester II 2007:
Perspectives on Education Issues in Lajamanu. 54 pages. https://newgeneva.academia.edu/LanceBox?notification_code=VnwvWwYD
- Jinjilngali, Kurlukuku Minpiya, Yirdingali : Molly Tasman
Napurrurla - Rosie Tasman Napurrurla - Lily Hargraves
Nungarrayi. 7 May – 7 June 2014 exhibition Vivien Anderson
Gallery, Caulfield North, Victoria * 18
Festival (Jarda-Warnpa), 1 November, Lajamanu
- Jones, Philip. 2014. Behind
Doors: An art history from Yuendumu. Adelaide:
Wakefield Press. ISBN 9781743052945. * 2nd edition of Yuendumu
Doors. Kuruwarri (Warlukurlangu Artists 1987)
- Disbray, Samantha. 2014. Evaluating the Bilingual Education
Program in Warlpiri schools, pp.25–46 in Language
description informed by theory, edited by Rob Pensalfini;
Myfany Turpin; Diana Guillemin. Studies in Language Companion
Series 147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/slcs.147
Amsterdam : John Benjamins B.V.
Abstract: "The Bilingual Education Program in the Northern
Territory was established in 1973 to deliver an effective
education to students in remote Indigenous schools. In 2008, the
NT Government closed the Program, citing low student achievement
in English literacy as its rationale. This chapter evaluates the
program according to a wider set of criteria, with particular
focus on the Warlpiri schools. It considers the training of
local staff, community involvement in schools, the development
of curriculum, and extensive literature and linguistic
documentation. These criteria are not prominent in government
evaluations, yet are identified in national and international
literature as key to achieving student outcomes (UNESCO 2008a,
2008b; Silburn et al. 2011) and echo priorities expressed by
Indigenous adults involved in education."
- Turpin, Myfany. 2014. Bibliography of Mary Laughren, pp.15–24
in Language description informed by theory, edited by
Rob Pensalfini; Myfany Turpin; Diana Guillemin. Studies in
Language Companion Series 147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/slcs.147
Amsterdam : John Benjamins B.V.
- Box, Lance. 2014. A Proposal to Deschool, then Unschool
Australian Biblical Christian Education. Thesis submitted 30
August 2014 for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the School
of Christian Education, The New Geneva Christian Leadership
Academy, Appomattox, Virginia, U.S.A. * draws on
experience at Lajamanu http://www.academia.edu/7970729/Deschooling_Unschooling_Australian_Biblical_Christian_Education
- Campbell, Liam. 2014. [obituary for Paddy Japaljarri Stewart]
Posted on Northern Myth blog, 18 February 2014. http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2014/02/18/vale-paddy-cookie-japaljarri-stewart/
- Chapman, Robert, Miles Holmes, Linda Kelly, Diane Smith, Jayne
Weepers and Alyson Wright. 2014. Yakarra-pardiji-pina: Insights
from a Development Approach to Rebuilding Governance in
Aboriginal Communities. 'for The Lajamanu Community and the
Central Land Council' 100pp. May 2014. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/60164/20160629-0038/www.clc.org.au/files/pdf/Lesssons_Learnt_from_the_Lajamanu_Governence_Project_May_2014.pdf
- NT. Department of Community Services. 2014. Remote
Service Delivery. Lajamanu » Profile. https://web.archive.org/web/20140302162756/http://www.rdia.nt.gov.au/about_us/regional_services/major_remote_towns/lajamanu/profile/
- Curran, Georgia. 2014. The dynamics of collaborative research
relationships: Examples from the Warlpiri Songlines Project, in
Special Section: Collaborative processes across and within
disciplinary boundaries – Guest edited by Sandy Toussaint. Collaborative
- Koch, Grace and Alexandra Crowe. 2014. Song, Land and
ceremony: Interpreting the place of songs as evidence for
Australian Aboriginal land claims, in Special Section:
Collaborative Processes Across and Within Disciplinary
Boundaries – Guest edited by Sandy Toussaint. Collaborative
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Warlpiri Drawings. The
Museum 5 (March-August), 24-29. * exhibition opens
August 2014; drawings collected by Meggitt at Hooker Creek 1953
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Remembering the Future: Warlpiri Life
through the prism of Drawing. Centre for Creative & Cultural
Seminar, 1:15pm-2:15pm 31 March. Teaching Commons, Building 1,
University of Canberra. http://www.canberra.edu.au/events/view/4262
- Newstead, Adrian, with Ruth Hessey. 2014. The dealer is
the devil : an insider's history of the Aboriginal art trade.
Blackheath, N.S.W.: Brandl
and Schlesinger. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/189724671
* Chapter 27 'Across the Tanami - the emerging Warlpiri
artists' * launched Tuesday 4 February by Professor the Hon
Marie Bashir, Governor of NSW at Australian Galleries, 15
Roylston Street, Paddington * http://books.google.com.au/books?id=yDnAAgAAQBAJ
teaching in the N.T. Monday 27 January 2014 9:05AM http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/desert-school3a-teaching-in-the-nt/5215830
* interview with Yuendumu Principal Kylie Johnston
- Nicholls, Christine. 2014. ‘Dreamtime’ and ‘The Dreaming’ –
an introduction. The Conversation blog post 23
January 2014, 6.36am AEST
* includes 4 Warlpiri artworks
- Stewart, Alistair. 2014. Somersaults in the sand:
Adventures in mapping the rocks of the outback. Sydney,
Canberra: Halstead Press. * https://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/somersaults-in-the-sand-alistair-stewart/p/9781925043037
* geologist who mapped the Mt Theo and Mt Peake 1:250,000 map
sheet areas * pp.81-82 about recording Warlpiri placenames
- Barnes, Rodger Donald. 2013. Building an implementation
framework for agreements with Aboriginal landowners: A case
study of The Granites mine. MPhil thesis, School of
Architecture, University of Queensland. x+192 pages. http://www.nintione.com.au/resource/BarnesR_ImplementationFrameworkAgreementsAboriginalLandownersGranitesMine_MPhil.pdf
- Barwick, Linda, Mary Laughren & Myfany Turpin. 2013.
Sustaining women's Yawulyu/Awelye: Some practitioners'
and learners' perspectives. Musicology Australia
* postprint https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/212697617.pdf
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2013. ‘Yapa-Kurlangu Jukurrpa (Proper Human
Art)’ in Art in the Digital Desert: Warnayaka Arts
Lajamanu: Warnayaka Arts and Craft.
- Box, Lance. 2013. Warlpiri Business as Pedagogy: A Learning
Journey. ED533 Major Research Thesis as part fulfilment of a
Master of Education. (Leadership). National Institute for
Christian Education, Sydney NSW. 117 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Warlpiri-Business-Pedagogy-Learning-Journey/dp/3659906026
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Warlpiri and the Pacific—Ideas for an
intercultural history of the Warlpiri. Anthropological
Forum: A Journal of Social Anthropology and Comparative
Sociology 23.4, 414-427, DOI: 10.1080/00664677.2013.833893
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Indigenous diaspora and the prospects for
cosmopolitan ‘orbiting’: the Warlpiri case. The Asia Pacific
Journal of Anthropology Special Issue: Special Focus:
Anthropology, Public Policy, and Social Process in Indigenous
Australia, edited by Francesca Merlan & Nicolas Peterson.
- Buchanan, Geoff. 2013. [Review of Eickelkamp (ed.) 2011.] Anthropological
A Journal of Social Anthropology and Comparative Sociology
23.3,306- DOI: 10.1080/00664677.2013.755108 * includes
review of Musharbash 2011
- Harrison, Dan. 2013. Northern Exposure. The Age 6
September 2013 http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/northern-exposure-20130905-2t7uk.html
* includes photos at Lajamanu
- Koch, Grace. 2013. We have the song, so we have the land: song
and ceremony as proof of ownership in Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander land claims. AIATSIS
Paper No. 33, July 2013. * mentions some Walpiri land
- Louw, Gretta [Napanangka]. 2013. Warnayaka Art Centre:
Life in the Digital Desert. Lajamanu: Warnayaka Art &
Cultural Aboriginal Corporation. 100pp. [numerous contributors,
listed on p.98] Concept, coordination, and design by Gretta
Louw. ISBN 978-0-646-90318-7 * http://desart.com.au/tikm/
* accompanying DVD with the same title
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. Not even fame is better than
family. [obituary of Dorothy Napangardi] Sydney Morning
Herald 29 June 2013. http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obituaries/not-even-fame-is-better-than-family-20130628-2p2np.html
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. It’s
we draft Aussie Rules to tackle Indigenous mathematics. The
Conversation 8 July 2013, 6.46am EST http://theconversation.com/its-time-we-draft-aussie-rules-to-tackle-indigenous-mathematics-15032
- Owen, Will. 2013. Coniston.
Posted on July 14, 2013 on Aboriginal
Art & Culture: an American eye * review of the
documentary Coniston (PAW Media, 2012)
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2013. Community development, civil society
and local government in the future of remote Northern Territory
growth towns. The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology
- Paulson, Graham and Mark Brett. 2013. Five smooth stones:
Reading the Bible through Aboriginal eyes. Colloquium
45.2(November), 199-214. * derived partly from conversations at
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2013. Embodied meaning: sleeping
arrangements in central Australia, pp. 45-60 in Katie Glaskin,
Richard Chenhall (eds), Sleep around the world:
Anthropological perspectives. New York: Palgrave
- Finnane, Kieran 'Warlpiri
the Queen'. Griffith REVIEW Edition 41 * 'In Alice
Springs, the trials of young Warlpiri men reveal the threads of
anarchic Warlpiri resistance to Australian law. …'
- [media reports of Native Title determination for Mount Doreen
- [Petersen], Rachael. 2013. Federal
recognizes native title for Warlpiri. Posted on July 8,
2013 on global
native networks * 'Ngaliya Warlpiri people native title
over Mt. Doreen station'
- Brain, Caddie. 2013. Native
recognised over NT cattle stations. ABC Rural news
Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:43am AEST * 'at Eight Mile Bore on Mount
receive land back 11 July 2013, 6:40 PM NITV item on
SBS World News
- Warlpiri celebrate return of their land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-jAm6IgaU
2m05s Published on 11 Jul 2013
- NACLO. 2013. 'Walpiri Kinship Groups' North American
Computational Linguistics Olympiad 2013 NACLO 2013
Problems and Solutions http://nacloweb.org/resources/problems/2013/N2013-O.pdf
* repeated by Bellos 2018
- Szalapski, Robert F. n.d. Warlpiri Kinship Relations and the
Dihedral Group. Posted at https://www.callmedrrob.com/?page_id=1741
* draws on Ascher 1991 
- Carmichael, Bethune and Apolline Kohen. 2013. The forgotten
Yuendumu Men’s Museum murals: Shedding new light on the
progenitors of the Western Desert Art Movement (Research report)
Studies 2013/1,110-6. * abstract
- Louw, Gretta, et al. 2013. Warnayaka Art Centre: Life in
the Digital Desert. Lajamanu: Warnayaka Indigenous Art
Centre. * 100-page, full colour, glossy book and an
accompanying DVD. * YAMA
Multimedia Art Installation * 'collaboration between the
art centre, its artists, Australian, German-based
multidisciplinary artist Gretta Louw, … Dr Jennifer Biddle, Dr
Barbara Glowczewski, photographers, and other international art
- Curran, Georgia. 2013. Associations amongst Aboriginal people,
landscapes, species and ancestral beings: Examples from
contemporary Warlpiri songs and rituals. Paper presented Session
F: Religion, knowledge and mind, Rethinking
Anthropology conference, University of Sydney Department
of Anthropology symposium 13-14 June 2013.
- Saethre, Eirik. 2013. Illness is a weapon: Indigenous
identity and enduring afflictions. Nashville: Vanderbilt
University Press. * Amazon
listing * cf. Sathre 2003 * Lajamanu
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. Desert Painter: Art born of
the bush. [obituary] Dorothy Napangardi. West
Australian Monday 29 July 2013, 61. PDF
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2013. Night, sight, and feeling safe: An
exploration of aspects of Warlpiri and Western sleep. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology 24, 48–63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/taja.12021
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Indigenous diaspora and the prospects for
cosmopolitan ‘Orbiting’: The Warlpiri case. The Asia Pacific
Journal of Anthropology 14.4 (August 2013) DOI:
goes to Croatia and Serbia. Flinders News. Posted
on Wednesday, 30 January 2013. * 'Dr Christine Nicholls has
curated two exhibitions of Indigenous art, which she escorted to
- Papers presented at the conference 'Culture and Contest in a
Material World', Australian
Annual Conference, 26-28 September 2012, University of
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. “Self-Control” (Galatians 5:22)
and Indigenous Health in Central Australia. In PANEL
2 MORAL ECONOMIES OF INDIGENOUS SICKNESS
- Saerthre, Eirik. 2012. Sociality, Responsibility, and
Community Controlled Health Services in the Northern
Territory. In PANEL 2 MORAL ECONOMIES OF
INDIGENOUS SICKNESS AND HEALTH * about Lajamanu Community
- Curran, Georgia. 2012. Nungarrayi, Jangala and I: The
unique data that results from collaborative research in
Aboriginal communities. In PANEL 3
COLLABORATIVE PROCESSES ACROSS AND WITHIN DISCIPLINARY
BOUNDARIES * Warlpiri Songlines: project
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2012. Do Kurdaitcha sleep? And if
they do, what does that mean for anthropology?. In PANEL
7 THE MONSTER PANEL
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2012. Transforming technologies
and forms of social connectedness among Warlpiri. In PANEL
11 SOCIAL LIVES OF AND ON COMPUTERS,
TECHNOLOGY AND THE INTERNET
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2012. On picturing and the politics of
value: The case of the 1950s Warlpiri drawings. In PANEL
26 WHAT DO IMAGES AND OBJECTS WANT FROM
ANTHROPOLOGISTS? * from 1952-53 Mervyn Meggitt at
Hooker Creek (now Lajamanu)
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2012. ‘Literate Savages: Central Desert
Painting as Writing’, in T. Berman (ed.) No Deal! Indigenous
Art and the Politics of Possession. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2012. The 1989 Lajamanu ceramics project.
A potted history. The Journal of
Australian Ceramics July 2012,21-27.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2012. Earth works : contemporary
Indigenous Australian ceramic art. Adelaide: Flinders
University Art Museum. ISBN
9780980520873 (pbk.) * exhibition
1 September – 14 October 2012 * includes a section on the
Lajamanu ceramics programs of 1988 and 1989
- Nicholls, Christine, and Tess Napaljarri Ross. 2012.
Interlocked! Towards an understanding of the intercultural
history of the Yuendumu Doors, 1983 – present. Presented to the
Arts Education Conference 2012, 23, 24 and 25 January. Tuesday
24 January, 1.30 – 3.00pm. National Portrait Gallery,
Terrace Room 2.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2012. Tjampijinpa, ‘Stumpy’ Martin
(1932–1986), pp. 512-513 in M Nolan (ed.) Australian
Dictionary of Biography: Volume 18 1981-1990, L-Z.
Australian National University. Carlton: Melbourne University
- Young, James and Karissa Preuss (compliers) and Central Land
Council. 2012. Ngurra walalja warra warra kanjaku = Looking
after our country : Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected
Area Plan of Management 2012. Alice Springs : Central Land
Council. 199pp. ISBN 9780646582894. June 2012. * presented as
part of the declaration of the Southern Tanami IPA, 8 July 2012
Festival, 27-28 October, Lajamanu * previously http://www.tracksdance.com.au/2012-milpirri-festival
- Jennings, Bradley. 2012. Central Desert Epistemology: Jukurrpa
as Mode of Knowing -- Warlpiri Dreaming. Honours subthesis, Department
Anthropology and Sociology, School of Social Sciences,
UWA. * summary in John Morton's obituary: Bradley Jennings
1964–2018, Anthropological Forum 2019 https://doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2019.1567009
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Artists and acrylics as agents of
social change. In Kunga. Carry On. Paris,
Flammarion-Skira Editions pp. 21-45.
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Gestures of translation and
activism. In Gestuelles: The Art of Transmission by
Aboriginal Desert Women. Sydney, International Development
for Australian Indigenous Art, pp. 8-12.
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Mediating art: Painters of acrylics
at Yuendumu (1983-2011). In Crossing Cultures: The Owen and
Wagner Collection of Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art at
the Hood Museum of Art. Gilchrist, S. (ed.). University
Press of New England, pp. 65-74
- Baarda, Frank. 2012. Yampiyalu-ngampa (Leave us alone) Arena
Magazine 118 (June-July 2012),14-16. https//search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=340166079304575;res=IELHSS
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2013. The cultural politics of radio: Two
views from the Warlpiri public sphere. Chapter 7, pp.142-58 in Radio
Anthropology and wireless sound in the 21st century,
edited by Lucas Bessire and Daniel Fisher. New York: New York
University Press. * http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Y4DuLx1ybJQC&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142
- Gosford, Robert, and Ethnoornithology Research & Study
Group. 2012. A tale of two Goatsuckers - Nightjars in Australian
Aboriginal life. 11:40am-12pm Friday 13 April 2012,
Ethnoornithology section, Society of
Ethnobiology 35th Annual Meeting, Denver, 11–14 April 2012
Owlet-nightjar Aegotheles cristatus, 'the role of the
bird in the religious life of the Warlpiri people'
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and Glenn Edwards. Incorporating
Aboriginal people’s perceptions of introduced animals in
resource management: insights from the feral camel project. Ecological
& Restoration. Special
Indigenous land and sea management in remote Australia
(Guest edited by Dr Emilie Ens) 13.1(January 2012), 65–71. DOI:
- Preuss, Karissa and Madeline Dixon. 2012. ‘Looking after
country two-ways’: Insights into Indigenous community-based
conservation from the Southern Tanami. Ecological Management
& Restoration. Special
Indigenous land and sea management in remote Australia
(Guest edited by Dr Emilie Ens) 13.1(January 2012), 2–15. DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2011.00631.x
- Glowczewski, Barbara. [compiled and digitised 2007–11]. Archives
chercheurs: Barbara Glowczewski. 3858 documents. Photos,
films, sound recordings of songs and stories, field note books
from Lajamanu Warlpiri people, Central Australia. Photographies,
films, enregistrements de chants et recits, carnets de terrain
chez les Warlpiri de Lajamanu, Australie centrale. ODSAS (Online Digital Sources and
Annotation System) * includes Lajamanu collections
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2011. Between spectacle and politics:
Indigenous singularities, Chapter 1 in The
of Indigenous peoples: Spectacle or politics?,
edited by Barbara Glowczewski & Rosita Henry. Cumnor,
Oxford, UK: The Bardwell Press. Hardback ISBN 978-1-905622-26-9,
eBook ISBN 978-1-905622-40-5 * interview
with Barbara Glowczewski on publication at Sorosoro
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2011. Guattari and anthropology:
existential territories among Indigenous Australians, pp.99–112
in Eric Alliez & Andrew Goffey (eds), The Guattari
effect. Bloomsbury Publishing. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=OGwSBwAAQBAJ
- Gosford, Bob. 2011. They took our culture – now there is no
law. Overland literary journal 202 (Autumn 2011) https://overland.org.au/previous-issues/issue-202/essay-bob-gosford/
- Rennie, Ellie. 2011. Home internet for remote Indigenous
Communities. A consumer research report by the ARC Centre
of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation, the Centre
for Appropriate Technology and the Central Land Council. 77 page
PDF. Sydney: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network.
- Rennie, Ellie. 2011. Internet on the outstation. Inside
Story 9 May 2011. http://insidestory.org.au/internet-on-the-outstation
* Mungalawurru outstation; photo of Clinton Walker and Miles
- West, Margie (ed.). 2011. Yulyurlu Lorna Fencer
Napurrurla. Adelaide: Wakefield Press. *
essays by Barbara Ambjerg Pedersen, Chips Mackinolty and
Christine Nicholls * Louise Partos * about the Lajamanu artist
- Walker, Jane. 2011. Processes for the effective management:
Learning from agencies and Warlpiri People involved in managing
the Northern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area. PhD thesis,
Faculty of Law, Education, Business and Arts, Charles Darwin
"80,000-word thesis that examines the management of a large and
fragile portion of the Northern Tanami Desert near Lajamanu" http://ext.cdu.edu.au/newsroom/a/2010/Pages/AliceSpringscampustocelebratefirstPhDgraduate.aspx
- Nicholls, Christine. 2011. Correspondence [response to Noel
Pearson’s essay 'Radical Hope'] https://www.quarterlyessay.com.au/correspondence/correspondence-christine-nicholls
* response to Noel Pearson 'Radical Hope: education and equality
in Australia', Quarterly Essay 35(Sept
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2011. Warungka: becoming and unbecoming a
Warlpiri person, Chapter 3 in Growing up in
central Australia: new anthropological studies of Aboriginal
childhood and adolescence, edited by in Ute
Eickelkamp. Oxford, New York : Berghahn Books. * reviewed by
- Morvan, Arnaud. 2011. “You can’t keep it to yourself” :
Indigenous Australian artistic strategies in France, 1983–2006.
In Barbara Glowczewski & Rosita Henry (eds), The
challenge of Indigenous peoples : spectacle or politics?,
chap. 6, 101–121. Cumnor, Oxford: The Bardwell Press. Adapted
and translated from Le défi indigène : entre spectacle et
politique, originally published by Éditions Aux Lieux
- Mackinnon, Bruce Hearn. 2011. The Liam
Jurrah story: from Yuendumu to the MCG. Carlton,
Vic.: Melbourne University Publishing. * also an e-book
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2011. Is the Aboriginal landscape sentient?
Animism, the New Animism and the Warlpiri. Oceania
* cf Peterson 2007
- Dussart, Françoise. 2011. Women's acrylic paintings from
Yuendumu. In How Aborigines invented the idea of
contemporary art (ed.) Ian McLean, Sydney, Power
Publications. pp. 189-192.
- Brown, Tasman, Grant C Townsend, Sandra K Pinkerton and James
R Rogers. 2011. Yuendumu: legacy of a longitudinal growth
study in Central Australia. University of Adelaide Press.
A$35.00 Paperback ISBN 978-0-9807230-9-0 327 pp
E-book (PDF) ISBN 978-0-9870730-0-6 * launched 30 June
2011 * longitudinal study of human growth, commenced 1951;
includes many photographs from 1950s-60s and background on
- Musharbash, Yasmine & Marcus Barber (eds). 2011. Ethnography
& the Production of Anthropological Knowledge: Essays in
honour of Nicolas Peterson. ISBN 9781921666971 ISBN
9781921666964 (Online) ANU EPress.
- Morton, John. 2011. Splitting the atom of kinship:
Towards an understanding of the symbolic economy of the
Warlpiri fire ceremony.
- Curran, Georgia. 2011. The ‘Expanding Domain’ of Warlpiri
- Saethre, Eirik. 2011. Demand sharing, nutrition and
Warlpiri health: The social and economic strategies of food
- Stojanovski, Andrew. 2010. Dog Ear Café : how the Mt Theo
program beat the curse of petrol sniffing. Melbourne :
Hybrid Publishers. * blogged 25 July 2010 Life
the Warlpiri by Jane Simpson
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and Glenn Edwards. 2010. From
beast of burden to symbol of the desert / Feral animal: the
metamorphoses of the camel in central Australia. In 'The
Heartland: Voices from Central Australia Part 2' issue, Dialogue
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2010. Changes in Aboriginal
perceptions of feral camels and of their impacts and management.
The Rangeland Journal 32,73-85. doi:10.1071/RJ09055
* communities surveyed include Willowra, Yuendumu, Nyirrpi
- Purdon, Ailsa. 2010. Living in the mainstream. Ngoonjook:
Journal of Australian Indigenous Issues 35,-43.
AIATSIS Library Annotation: Outlines the activities of the
incorporated association Warlpiripatukurlangujaru, which is an
association of Warlpiri teachers and Elders interested in
supporting the development of curriculum and material for
Warlpiri bilingual programs in schools attended by Warlpiri
- Owen, Will. 2010. A
brief history in Yuendumu. Posted on July 17, 2010. *
review of Raynal 1990
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2010. Warlpiri fears/whitefella fears:
Ways of being in Central Australia seen through an emotion. Emotion,
and Society 3.2(December), 95-102. DOI: 10.1016/j.emospa.2009.12.001
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2010. Marriage, love magic, and adultery:
Warlpiri relationships as seen by three generations of
anthropologists. Oceania 80.3(Nov), 272-288.
- MacNeill, Kate. 2010. Identity and the political:
(Im)possibilities of collaboration. Third Text
* on collaboration between Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels and Anne
des images = the image factory. du mardi 16 février 2010
au dimanche 11 juillet 2011. commissariat : Philippe Descola.
the quai Branly Museum * includes art from Yuendumu
- Holmes, Miles. 2010. Law for Country: The structure and
application of Warlpiri ecological knowledge. PhD Thesis. School
of English, Media Studies and Art History, The University of
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2010. Seeing more than black and white:
Picturing Aboriginality at Australia's National Portrait
Gallery. AUSTRALIAN Humanities Review 49,5-28. Edited by
Monique Rooney and Russell Smith * https://www.academia.edu/787849/Seeing_More_than_Black_and_White_Picturing_Aboriginality_at_Australias_National_Portrait_Gallery
- Gosford, Robert. 2010. Sources, material and methodology:
Warlpiri bird knowledge research, presented to Rangeland Biology
and Ecology Seminars, 12.30pm Friday 5 February, CDU Lecture
Theatre HE, Alice Springs.
Françoise and Carolyn Schwarz. 2010. (Guest editors)
Christianity in Aboriginal Australia revisited. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology 21.1(April),1-13
* draft 'Engaging Christianity in Aboriginal Australia' https://pascal-francis.inist.fr/vibad/index.php?action=getRecordDetail&idt=22748188
Françoise. 2010. De la terre à la toile. Peintures
acryliques de l’Australie centrale [From the ground to the
canvas. Acrylic paintings from central
Australia] pp.138-145 in La fabrique des images,
ed. by Philippe Descola. Paris: Le Musée du Quai Branly and
Françoise. 2010. “It is hard to be sick now”:
Diabetes and the reconstruction of indigenous sociality. Anthropologica
* data from 2006 and 2007
- Dickson, Greg. 2010. No Warlpiri, no school? A preliminary
look at attendance in Warlpiri schools since introducing the
first four hours of English policy. Ngoonjook: Journal of
Australian Indigenous Issues 35, -113.https://www.academia.edu/6571477/No_Warlpiri_no_school_A_preliminary_look_at_attendance_in_Warlpiri_schools_since_introducing_the_First_Four_Hours_of_English_policy_2010_
- Curran, Georgia. 2010. Contemporary ritual practice in an
Aboriginal settlement: the Warlpiri Kurdiji ceremony. Thesis
(Ph.D.), Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian
- Watts, Lisa Patricia. 2009. A political ecology of Warlpiri
water rights : a denial of access and land alienation to
perennial water sources on leased lands in the Western Desert.
Thesis (Ph.D.), University of Melbourne, Faculty of Land and
Food Resources. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/37824
* AIATSIS Library MAR12/061 * Uni Melbourne library
- Trofimov, Yaroslav. 2009. 'Tough Love' in the Outback :
Australia's push to help Aborigines is upending tribal customs
-- and giving women an unlikely boost. World News section. Wall
Street Journal, 17 January 2009. * with gallery of 8 colour
photographs * http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123214753161791813.html
* almost all about Yuendumu
- Gabrys, K and Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. 2009. Aboriginal
burning issues in the southern Tanami: towards understanding
tradition-based fire knowledge in a contemporary context,
Chapter 3,pp.79–186 in Desert Fire: fire and regional land
management in the arid landscapes of Australia, edited by
GP Edwards and GE Allan. DKCRC Report 37. Desert Knowledge
Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs. http://desertknowledgecrc.com.au/publications/research.html *
presented to ‘Global Desert Opportunities’, Desert Knowledge
Symposium, Alice Springs, November 2006
Françoise. 2009. Warlpiri women and acrylics.
Essay/catalogue for Yuru-yururla: Women's Painting from Yuendumu
exhibitions at Kluge Ruhe Museum, January-May 2009; and The
Australian Embassy, Washington DC, May-Sep 2009.
Françoise. 2009. Diet, diabetes, and relatedness in a
central Australian Aboriginal settlement: Some qualitative
recommendations to facilitate the creation of
culturally-sensitive health promotion initiatives. Health
Promotion Journal of Australia 20.3,202-207.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. Anything new? Marriage, love magic,
and adultery: Warlpiri relationships as seen by three
generations of anthropologists. Presented 17 September 2009,
Department of Anthropology Research Seminar Series, University
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. Yuendumu everyday. Produced by
Catherine Zengerer. Stories for Thursday, 28 May 2009. MP3
audio, The Wire
[a daily current affairs program broadcast on Community and
Indigenous radio stations around Australia] * "Yasmine
Musharbash […] found was a contradiction between the Warlpiri
way of living and organising their lives around their extended
families and the type of dwellings that suit their values… and
what the Australian government is trying to impose upon them in
terms of how they should live and what their houses should look
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. 'Only whitefella take that road':
Culture seen through the prism of the Intervention at Yuendumu,
pp. 212-25 in J. Altman and M. Hinkson (eds) Culture Crisis:
Anthropology and Politics in Aboriginal Australia. Sydney:
- Morton, John. 2009. Splitting the Atom of Kinship: The
Symbolic Economy of the Warlpiri Fire Ceremony. Presented 29
April to Department of Anthropology, RSPAS, The Australian
National University. * abstract
- Knight, Anneli. 2009. A Knight's tale. Toyota Driver's World
1:09,34-38. * p.37 Mt Theo Training workshop and Peter Malden;
Francis Kelly; at Yuendumu
- Knight, Anneli. 2009. A Knight's tale. 4x4 Australia, 304(May 2009),62-68. *
p.68 overnight stay at Yuendumu, chat with Francis Kelly
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2009. Media images and the politics of hope,
pp. 229-47 in J. Altman and M. Hinkson (eds) Culture Crisis:
Anthropology and Politics in Aboriginal Australia. Sydney:
- Goldsworthy, Peter. 2009. Australia's
Art. T+L Travel and Leisure May 4, 2009. Time Inc.
Affluent Media Group. * includes visit to Warlukurlangu,
- Burke, Paul. 2009. Warlpiri diaspora - concepts and some
initial impressions. ANU Anthropology Seminar, 21 October 2009.
- Vaarzon-Morel, P & K. Gabrys. 2008. Fire on the horizon:
Contemporary Aboriginal burning issues in the Tanami Desert,
central Australia. GeoJournal (Springer Netherlands)
DOI: 10.1007/s10708-008-9235-8 http://www.springerlink.com/content/k7740p03727j7lj/
- Vaarzon-Morel, P. 2008. Key stakeholder perceptions of
feral camels: Aboriginal community survey. DKCRC Report
49. Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs.
* also as: Key stakeholder perceptions of feral camels:
Aboriginal community survey (abridged), Chapter 5, pp.79-124 in
Edwards GP, B Zeng B, WK Saalfeld, P Vaarzon-Morel & M
McGregor. 2008. (eds). Managing the impacts of feral camels
in Australia: a new way of doing business. DKCRC Report
47. * Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice
- Preuss, Karissa. 2008. Generating Aboriginal Livelihoods
through Land Management?: A Warlpiri case study. Presentation
12-1pm Thursday 10 April, Fenner School of Environment and
Society, WK Hancock Building 43, Australian National University.
* relates to Livelihoods
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2008. Just humming: The consequence of the
decline of learning contexts among the Warlpiri, pp. 114-118 in
J. Kommers and E. Venbrux (eds.) Cultural styles of
knowledge transmission: Essays in honour of Ad Borsboom.
Amsterdam, Netherlands: Askant Academic Publishers.
- Pawu-Kurlpurlurnu (Steven Jampijinpa) WJ. 2008. Milpirri:
Performance as a bridge that joins the ancient with the modern.
Unpublished Paper Presented at symposium on Intangible Cultural
Heritage, Australian National University, Monday 18 February, in
association with the 3rd
international conference of the UNESCO Memory of the World
at Tracks Dance
- Pawu-Kurlpurlurnu, Wanta Jampijinpa (Steven Jampijinpa
Patrick), Miles Holmes, and Lance (Alan) Box. 2008. Ngurra-kurlu: A way of working
with Warlpiri people. DKCRC
Report 41. Alice Springs: Desert Knowledge
CRC. ISBN: 1 74158 087 0 (Print copy) ISBN: 1 74158 088 9
(Online copy) ISSN: 1832 6684 * https://www.academia.edu/8700687/Ngurra-kurlu_A_way_of_working_with_Walrpiri_people
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Sorry
is Yapa way:
Warlpiri mortuary rituals as embodied practice, in Mortality, mourning and mortuary
practices in indigenous Australia / [edited] by
Katie Glaskin, Myrna Tonkinson, Yasmine Musharbash &
Victoria Burbank. Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington,
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Yuendumu everyday : intimacy,
immediacy and mobility in a remote Aboriginal settlement.
Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press. * reviewed by Will Owen in 'Yuendumu
nights' posted Monday, March 9, 2009 2:38 * reviewed
by D. Lawrence-Zúñiga in Anthropological Forum
20.1 (March 2010)
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Perilous laughter: examples of
Yuendumu, Central Australia. Anthropological Forum
18.3 * Special Issue: You've got to be joking! Anthropological
perspectives on Humour and Laughter from Australia (Guest
Editors: Yasmine Musharbash and John Carty)
- Granites, Cecily Napanangka. 2008. I
remember when lots of white people took the children away.
The Age [newspaper], 29 February 29 2008. * about
Yuendumu in 1950s
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2008. Guattari et l’anthropologie:
aborigènes et territoires existentiels. Multitudes
2008/3(34). 84–94. https://www.cairn.info/revue-multitudes-2008-3-page-84.htm
* English translation published 2011
- Gibson, Paddy. 2008. Yuendumu opposes intervention measures. Solidarity
4 (June 2008),5. * cover image: Harry Nelson, president
Yuendumu community council
- Edwards, Glen P., G. E. Allan, C. Brock, A. Duguid, K. Gabrys
and P. Vaarzon-Morel. 2008. Fire and its management in
central Australia. The Rangeland Journal 30,109-121.
doi: 10.1071/RJ07037 * covers southern Tanami region
- Egan, Ted. 2008. Due inheritance : reviving the cultural
and economic wellbeing of first Australians : a model for
consideration. Nightcliff, N.T.: Niblock Publishing. *
pp47-51 Willowra 1971-, pp83-95 alcohol, p100 AFL Yuendumu * Table
contents * Trove entry
- Collingwood-Whittick, Sheila. 2008. Ways of seeing 'Country':
Colonial, postcolonial, and Indigenous perceptions of the
Australian landscape. LiNQ (Literature in North Queensland)
35.1 'Country Matters' https://journals.jcu.edu.au/linq/article/view/2986
* pp.61-62 quotes †Jeannie Herbert Nungarrayi on 'Dreaming'
- Campbell, Liam. 2008. Darby
Jampijinpa Ross : make it good for the people. Nathan,
Qld : Griffith Artworks.
'A Griffith Artworks and Warlukurlangu Artists Aboriginal
Association project' - t.p.
'Author/Editor: Simon Wright. With contributions by: Liam
Campbell, Cecila Alfonso, Otto Jungurrayi Sims. Exhibited: DELL
Gallery at Queensland College of Art, 226 Grey Street, South
Bank Qld 4101, 23 August - 28 September 2008. Araluen Centre for
the Arts, Larapinta Drive, Alice Springs …, 22 November – 25
January 2009.' - verso of cover. * AIATSIS Library call number
Rp DAR (A)
- Biddle, Jennifer L. 2008. Festering boils and screaming
canvases: Culture, contagion and why place no longer matters. Emotion,
Space and Society 1,97–101. doi:
10.1016/j.emospa.2009.02.006 * Lajamanu
- Baarda, Frank. 2008. Money
respect. Posted on Transient Languages blog,
3 March 2008 * Yuendumu
- Anthony, Thalia and Robert Chapman. 2008. Unresolved tensions:
Warlpiri Law, Police powers and land rights. Indigenous
Bulletin 7.5 (May 2008), 9-10, 16-18. * about events at
Lajamanu, January 2008
- Watts, Lisa Patricia and Simon Fisher. 2007. A Political
Ecology of Warlpiri water rights: land alienation and denial of
access to perennial water sources on leased lands, in session
'Engaged political ecologies: towards advocacy and policy
relevance 2', Tuesday 17 April 2007 16:00 PM. Association of American Geographers
(AAG) 2007 Annual Meeting * abstract
- Small, Meredith F. 2007. Boredom:
sinful, puzzling, modern thing. Live Science * Yasmine Musharabash's
study at "Yuemdumu" [sc. Yuendumu]
- Skelton, Russell. 2007. How
is Howard's way? The
Sunday Age 1 July 2007 * children interviewed at
- Schwab, RG. 2006. Final report to the Warlpiri Education and
Training Trust Advisory Committee: Options for Education and
Training, 15 September 2006. CAEPR, ANU. Edited
version [PDF]. * "A comprehensive report exploring a
variety of options for remote education and training."
- Saethre, Eirik. 2007. Close encounters: UFO beliefs in a
remote Australian Aboriginal community. Journal of the Royal
Anthropological Institute 13.4,901-915. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9655.2007.00463.x
- Saethre, Eirik. 2007. Conflicting traditions, concurrent
treatment: medical pluralism in Aboriginal Australia. Oceania
- Rose, Hélène. 2007. La place de l'animal dans la culture
aborigène (Australie), des origines à nos jours. N-2007-026
thesis, L’Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Nantes (ENVN), France.
* annexes draw on publications of Barbara Glowczewski
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2007. Animism in Australia? A Warlpiri
perspective on metaphor. Presented to ANU Anthropology
Seminars, 9:30am Wednesday 30 May, Coombs Building, Seminar Room
A, ANU. * see Peterson 2011
- Owen, Will. 2007. Warlpiri
engaging the physical in Aboriginal art. [review of Biddle
2007]. Aboriginal Art
& Culture: an American eye [blog] Posted Sun,
Apr 22, 2007 9:30
- Nicholls, Christine. 2007. Reconciling accounts: An analysis
of Stephen Gray's The artist is a thief, pp.75-104 in The
pain of unbelonging: alienation and identity in Australasian
literature, edited by Sheila Collingwood-Whittick.
Amsterdam ; New York, NY: Rodopi. Print ISBN 9789042021877
eBook ISBN 9789401204279 http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/32392169
* includes a summary of her time at Lajamanu school (1982–92),
and an appreciation of †Maurice Luther Jupurrurla, and of †Peggy
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Sleeping, emotions, and the body:
an ethnographic analysis from Yuendumu, central Australia.
Presented 5.15pm Wed 16 May, Seminar Room (B1.24), 221 Bouverie
Street. Contemporary Societies & Cultures, Anthropology
& Social Theory Program Seminars, Symposia and Debates,
School of Social & Environmental Enquiry, The University of
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Ideas and Images of Home: An
ethnographic interpretation of photographs by Yuendumu youths.
19th October Seminar,
of Anthropology and Sociology, School of Social and
Cultural Studies, UWA.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Fuelling the Feud? An Analysis of
Social and Institutional Engagement in a Feud and of the
Limitations of Participant Observation. Presented Thursday 1
November in session 'Ethnographies of Governing and the
Anthropology of States' of 'Transforming Economies, Changing
Anthropological Society Annual Conference, 30 October – 2
November, ANU, Canberra
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2007. Boredom, time, and modernity: An
example from Aboriginal Australia. American Anthropologist
109.2,307–317. DOI: 10.1525/AA.2007.109.2.307. * Yuendumu
- Littleton, Judith. 2007. The production of local biologies:
Childhood development at Yuendumu to 1970. Current
Anthropology 48.1 (February 2007),135-145. DOI:
- Latz, Peter. 2007. The
flaming desert : Arid Australia – a fire shaped landscape.
Alice Springs: The author. * launched
19 December 2007, Olive Pink Botanical Gardens, Alice Springs
- Griffiths, Jay. 2007. Wild:
An elemental journey. Hamish Hamilton. ISBN 978 0 241
14152 6 ISBN-10: 158542403X * reviewed by Patrick
Curry, TLS No.5471,
February 8 2008, 26: 'One Warlpiri aboriginal man tells her,
with grim acuity, "We say money is the whitefella Dreaming".'
- Glowczewski, Barbara & Rosita Henry (sous la direction
de). 2007. Le défi indigène : entre spectacle et politique
[The challenge of Indigenous peoples : politics and the arts].
Montreuil: Aux lieux d’être. * Introduction : Entre spectacle et
politique: les singularités autochtones / Barbara Glowczewski;
Premiere partie : Le paradigme des Aborigènes d'Australie
Nomades mais ancrés : ceux du désert et du Kimberley / Stéphane
- Goldberg, Stephen J. 2007. Triangulating the Framing of
East-West Engagement: Introducing the Art and Culture of the
Warlpiri Aborigines into the Equation. Presented to the New York Conference
on Asian Studies - Decentering Asia, SUNY Binghamton,
27 October. * 'argued for the importance of cross-cultural
comparative studies while destabilizing the customary "dualistic
global usage" of East-West opposition"' [source]
- Elias, Derek J. 2007. The measure of dreams, Chapter 11 in Customary land Tenure and
registration in Australia and Papua New Guinea
perspectives, edited by James F. Weiner and Katie
Glaskin. Canberra: ANU E Press.
- Davis, Michael. 2007. Writing
The depiction of indigenous heritage in European-Australian
Scholarly Publishing & National Museum of Australia
Press. ISBN 1 74097 144 2 * launched 12 December * pp.274-5 on
JB Cleland's advocacy following his 1936 visit to The Granites
- Bradley, Donna. 2007. Kurdu Kurdu Kurlangu Childcare re-opens
at Yuendumu. Kid's Tracks 6 (July),
1-4. * 23 August 2006 * a publication of NT DHCS
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2007. Affect and interculture art: Why it
matters. Presented to ANU
Anthropology Seminars, 9:30am Wednesday 7 March, Coombs
Building, Seminar Room A, ANU.
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2007. Breasts,
canvas: Central desert art as experience. Sydney:
UNSW Press. * launch 23 March by Rosie Napurrurla Tasman and her
daughter, Lynette Napangardi Tasman, at COFA Space Foyer College
of Fine Arts Campus, Paddington * reviewed by Will Owen 2007
the Heart, The
Australian, every second Monday from July; including
guardians, 12 October.
Jeeves, Jessica. 2007. Reaching
the yapa way, 12 October.
songlines. Researchers are working with Warlpiri elders to
record, transcribe and interpret disappearing dreaming songs
that are the basis of Warlpiri culture. ANU Reporter, Winter
the Algiers desert people festival crowd. National
Times Issue 121, 25 Jan 2007 * "Artback NT
Touring Arts presented the Warlpiri and Warumungu Dancers at the
- Bush tucker
Development, CSIRO. 2 page PDF * Chris Harwood and Jock
Morse with Rosie Nangala and †Kay Napaljarri Ross visit Niger;
photos * 28
2007 version at archive.org
- Pawu-kurlpurlurnu (Steven Jampijinpa Patrick) WJ. 2006.
Milpirri. Unpublished paper presented at the Garma
Festival, August 2006.
- Shelley, Tony. 2006. Making native title mediation work: A
practical example with the Walpiri people. (National Native
Title Tribunal.) Presented as 'Future act mediations: components
of the process and some tools that can help the parties (a case
study)' to the NTRU
annual conference, 24-26 May 2006, Darwin. 17
in PDF, 22 June 2006. * Yuendumu
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2006. Cultural tapestry of an extraordinary
life. Weekend Australian 26-27 August 2006 Review,
page R12. * review of Campbell 2006
- Preuss, Karissa & Jean Napanangka Brown. Stopping petrol
sniffing in remote Aboriginal Australia: key elements of the Mt
Theo Program. Drug and
Alcohol Review 25 (May 2006), 189–193.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2006. A Warlpiri winter solstice ceremony:
Munn, Durkheim and indigenous exegesis. American Anthropological
Association Abstracts of the Annual Meeting (San Jose,
California) Volume 105, page 420. * about a 1972 ceremony
- Nicholls, Christine. 2006. Yilpinji : love, art and
ceremony. Fishermans Bend, Victoria: Craftsman House. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/44724309
* mainly about "Kukatja and Warlpiri people"
- Nicholls, Christine. 2006. Yilpinji: The indigenous Australian
visual art of love and its transgressions. Pacific and
American Studies 6,211–227. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christine
Yilpinji The Indigenous Australian Visual Art of
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2006. Sleep, Emotions, and the Body:
Reading Warlpiri sleeping arrangements as corporeal expressions
of emotions. Presented Friday 20 October to Anthropology &
Sociology Seminar, Discipline of Anthropology and Sociology,
School of Social and Cultural Studies, University of Western
- Gabrys, K., R. Tuckwell and P. Vaarzon-Morel. 2006.
Aboriginal perceptions and practices concerning fire in the
southern Tanami Desert: a report on a scoping study. * presented
to ‘Global Desert Opportunities’, Desert Knowledge Symposium,
Alice Springs, November 2006
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2006. Lines
Criss-crossings: Hyperlinks in Australian Indigenous
Narratives. Presented in 'Patrimoine et nouvelles
technologies', 27 March, Colloque du cinéma ethnographique à
l'anthropologie visuelle : bilan, nouvelles technologies,
nouveaux terrains, nouveaux languages. Le
Bilan du Film, 25-27 March, Musée de l'Homme, Paris.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2006. Rêves
Avec les aborig`enes australien. [Paris]: Pocket Terre
Humaine, Poche. 2nd edition, without photographs and indices of
2004 1st edition
- Edwards, Rebecca. 2006. Changing times for Darby Ross. Courier Mail 23 September.
* review of Campbell 2006
- Campbell, Liam. 2006. Darby: one hundred years of life
in a changing culture. ABC
Books for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Alice
Springs, N.T. : Warlpiri Media Association. 230pp. * biography
of Darby Jampijinpa late of Yuendumu * reviewed by Rothwell 2006
* excerpted in FATSIL Newsletter January 2007
- Campbell, Liam. 2006. Journeying together [manuscript] :
Darby, Warlpiri identities and sharing stories. Thesis submitted
in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of
Australian Indigenous Studies, Monash University. v. 1-2 +
accompanying CD inside v. 2 (Darby
hundred years of life in a changing culture. Published
Sydney : ABC Books for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation ;
Alice Springs, N.T. : Warlpiri Media Association, 2006)
- Akuffo, Ferdinand. 2006. Zambia: Aboriginal Australian Media.
The Post (Lusaka) 26 June 2006. http://allafrica.com/stories/200606260429.html
* Warlpiri graphics
Robert. 2006. A Warlpiri Ornithorium: Birds, Culture, and
Religion in a Central Australian Desert. Presented to the
Animal-Human Relationships session, 8 April 2006, in 'Exploring
Religion, Nature and Culture' the Inaugural
of The International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature
& Culture, April 6-9th 2006, University of Florida. *
also presented as 'Warlpiri bird knowledge' to Rangeland
and Ecology Seminars, 12.30pm Tuesday 16 May, CSIRO
Conference Room, Alice Springs * also presented as
'Ethno-biological source material for avian population
histories: an assessment of material relevant to the avian
population of three central Australian bioregions', 2-2:45pm,
CRES Student Conference Day, 13 June 2006, CRES Seminar Room,
ANU. * also presented as 'A central Australian ornithorium:
birds, country and culture in a central Australian desert', Canberra
Ornithologists Group Monthly Meeting, 8pm, 14 June 2006 *
also presented to Alice Springs Field Naturalists, 12 October
2006 * 'A Central Australian Ornithorium: Birds, country and
culture in a central Australian desert', 16pp. Word document
posted to the Ethno-ornithology
& Study Group 1 November 2006
- Saethre, Eirik J. 2005. Nutrition, economics, and food
distribution in an Australian Aboriginal community. Anthropological
- Schwarz, Carolyn. 2005 (appeared May 2006). Review of Jordan
2004. Australian Aboriginal Studies
- Rivett, Mary Irene. 2005. Yilpinji art 'love magic' :
changes in representation of yilpinji 'love magic'
objects in the visual arts at Yuendumu. Thesis
(M.A.(St.Art.Hist.)) — University of Adelaide, Master of Arts
(Studies in Art History), School of History and Politics,
Discipline of History, January 2005. http://adelaide.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/SUA:Everything:ALMA21111477740001811
- Poirier, Sylvie. 2005. A world of relationships:
Itineraries, dreams, and events in the Australian Western
Horizons) University of Toronto Press. * focuses on
Balgo, with mentions of Warlpiri * French version 1996
- Paltridge, Rachel. 2005. Fire patterns and threatened species
in the Tanami Desert. The Web (Spring 2005),
8-9. * Nyirrpi area
- Nicholls, Christine. 2005 (appeared May 2006). Review of
Glowczewski 2001 Dream
Australian Aboriginal Studies 2005/2,72-74. http://portal.unesco.org/science/en/files/4962/11492502241Glowczewski-Nicholls.pdf/Glowczewski-Nicholls.pdf
- Meyer-Rochow, V. Benno. 2005. Traditional food insects and
spiders in several ethnic groups of northeast India, Papua New
Guinea, Australia and New Zealand. In Ecological
implications of mini livestock: potential of insects, rodents,
frog and snail edited by M G Paoletti Chap. 19, 385–409 /
389–414. USA: Science Publishers Enfiel / CRC Press. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=-2O1DwAAQBAJ
- Mann, Rosemary Helen. 2005. Look wide — searching for
health in the borderlands: experiences of disease prevention
and health promotion in a Central Australian indigenous
settlement. PhD thesis, Centre for Health and Society,
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. PDF
of Melbourne ePrints Repository http://repository.unimelb.edu.au/10187/1806
* based at Yuendumu clinic
- Littleton, J and GC Townsend. 2005. Linear enamel hypoplasia
and historical change in a central Australian community. Australian Dental Journal
50.2,101-107. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2005.tb00348.x
- Lawrence, Rebecca. 2005. Governing Warlpiri subjects:
Indigenous employment and training programs in the central
Australian mining industry. Geographical
Research 43.1(March),40–48 * see Lawrence 2002
- Keller, Janet Dixon. 2005. Review
of Glowczewski 2001 Dream
Reviews Spring 2005
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2005. A different invention: Beyond Eric
Michaels and towards an understanding of inter-cultural
engagement in media practice at Yuendumu. In Luke Taylor, Graeme
Ward, Graham Henderson, Richard Davis & Lynley Wallis (eds)
The Power of Knowledge, The
Resonance of Tradition. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies
Press. * presented at AIATSIS conference, Canberra, November
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2005. Returning Indigenous knowledge in
central Australia: 'this CD-ROM brings everybody to the mind',
pp.145-160 in The
of knowledge, the resonance of tradition : electronic
publication of papers from the AIATSIS Indigenous Studies
Conference, September 2001, edited by Graeme
Ward and Adrian Muckle. * author's
copy * about making with 50 Warlpiri artists from Lajamanu
the CD-ROM: Dream trackers. Yapa Art and Knowledge of the
Australian Desert (Unesco 2000)
- Eller, Jack David. 2005. Review of At home in the world.
Anthropology Review Database. August 12. Electronic
accessed March 19, 2010 * review of Jackson 1995
- Davidson, A.A. Journal. Facsimile edition 2005.
Preface and notes by Valmai Hankel. Adelaide: State Library of
SA. * notice
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2005. Not so much cruising as kicking: the
affective animation of Central Desert women’s art. Presented 27
May 2005 to Cruising
symposium, Centre for Cross-Cultural Research, The
Australian National University, Canberra.
Robert. 2005. A Warlpiri Ornithorium: Birds, culture and
language in an Australian desert. Presented
11:50am-12:10pm, 8 December in the Ethno-ornithology Symposium,
Ornithological Conference, St Mary’s Parish Centre,
Blenheim, New Zealand, December 2005. * Abstract form http://osnz.org.nz/Media/2005_AOC_abstracts.doc.: "I
will present preliminary results of my research into extrinsic
sources of data and information concerning the bird knowledge of
the Warlpiri people, the traditional Aboriginal owners of much
of the Tanami Desert in central Australia. I will investigate
the potential that Aboriginal ornithological knowledge may have
to contribute to avian conservation, management and knowledge of
arid-zone biodiversity. The Tanami Desert is a good example of a
well-defined region where local Aboriginal knowledge may be able
to make such a contribution."
- Yapakurlangu landcare rangers on the go in the Tanami. Land
News 6.2 (July 2004), 7.
- Wild, Stephen. 2004. Warlpiri and Anbarra creativity: A
comparison. * Presented to the CCR
Seminar Series, 30 March 2004 12:30-2pm, Theatrette, Old
Canberra House * Presented to the Symposium
of the International Musicological Society 2004, Wednesday
14 July, Monash University.
- Traps for young rangers. Land Rights News 6.2 (July
2004), 17. * Wulaign Rangers, Lajamanu
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2004. Santiago
dreaming Weekend Australian 1-2 May 2004 Review,
pages R16-R17 * "Two glamorous Chileans have fetched up at the
same art community 300km from Alice Springs" Yuendumu
- Povinelli, Elizabeth A. 2004. Review of Dussart 2000. American
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2004. The myth of the 'walkabout': movement
in the Aboriginal domain, pp. 223-238 in Population mobility
and Indigenous peoples in Australasia and North America,
ed. by John Taylor and Martin Bell. (Routledge Research in
Population and Migration, 4) London: Routledge.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2004. Dorothy Napangardi: une place sur
la carte et une place dans l’histoire de l’art, pp. 163–169 in Théories et
Pratiques de la Création II, la création au féminin, Cahiers
Internationaux de symbolisme Numéros 107–108–109.
Le Centre Interdisciplinaire D’Etudes Philosophiques de
l’Université de Moin-Hainaut (Ciéphum), Belgium, ISSN 0008-0284.
- New Warlpiri magazine hits the streets. Land Rights News
6.2 (July 2004), 11. * Junga Yimi May-Aug 2004
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2004. Bodies under blankets: on the
cultural significance of sleeping with others. Presented to
Session 5: 'Shiver and passage: Anthropological explorin
comportment, culture and everyday life', Australian
Society Annual Conference 2004 'Moving Anthropology:
Motion, Emotion and Knowledge', University of Melbourne, 28
September - 1 October 2004. * about Yuendumu
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2004. Red bucket for the red cordial,
green bucket for the green cordial ... on the logic and
logistics of Warlpiri birthday parties. The Australian
Journal of Anthropology
(TAJA)15.1,12-22 * presented to the AAS
conference, La Trobe University, 2001.
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2004. On boredom and time at Yuendumu.
Delivered at Joint Anthropology Seminar Series, ANU, 22nd
- Minister Vanstone hands back title to Pawu Aboriginal Land
Trust... [photo caption] Land Rights News 6.2 (July
- Jordan, Rev. Ivan. 2004. Their way: Towards an
indigenous Walpiri Christianity. Darwin: CDU Press.
150pp. ISBN 1 376248 87 4 * reviewed by Schwarz 2005
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2004. What's in a dedication? On being a
Warlpiri DJ. The Australian Journal
of Anthropology (TAJA)
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2004. Rêves
Alliances aborigènes dans le Nord-Ouestaustralien.
Paris: Editions Plon. 436pp. ISBN 2–259–19931–3(paperback) *
covers Dampier Peninsula, Kimberley Plateau, Tanami Desert and
Arnhem Land * also 2006 edition * reviewed by Ghislaine
van Maanen, Anthropological
Forum 17.2,210-2. DOI: 10.1080/00664670701439934
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2004. Cultural Diversity and
Indigenous peoples : oral, written expressions and new
technologies Co-editors : Division of Cultural policies
and INtercultural Dialogue, B. Glowczewski, L. Pourchez, J.
Rotkowski, J. Stanton, CD-ROM, Paris, Unesco Publishing.
- Fink Latukefu, Ruth. 2004. Review of Marcus 2001. The Australian Journal
of Anthropology (TAJA)
- Dussart, Françoise. 2004. Shown but not shared, presented but
not proffered: redefining ritual identity among Warlpiri ritual
performers, 1990-2000. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology (TAJA)
15.3(December). * abstract
- Dussart, Françoise. 2004. An
educator, artist and reformer. Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels,
Artist, land rights advocate, 1936-2004. Sydney
Morning Herald, 30 November 2004, page 17.
- Country visits core to school activities. Land Rights News
6.2 (July 2004), 15. * Willowra, Panma Parnta (Smokey Bore)
- Campbell, Liam. 2004. Looking for new Warlpiri identities.
Presented to Dialogues
Cultures Conference, Monash University. Sun 14 Nov 2004.
- Campbell, L. 2004. Walking
different road : recording oral history with Darby
Jampijinpa Ross. Oral History
Association of Australia Journal 26,1-9. * PDF
available at Monash University Library (v25 2003 ?)
(2001?) * Artonview
no. 40 (Summer 2004),p. 40-41
- Bush trips: an adventure. Land Rights News 6.2 (July
2004), 15. * Jangankurlangu, Yirrinirrli (sic), Munyapunji (sic)
Françoise. 2004. Shown but not shared, presented but not
proffered: redefining ritual identity among Warlpiri
"businesswomen" 1990-2000. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology (TAJA), Dec,
2004. * forthcoming 2003 in a volume edited by Professor Sylvie
Poirier (Université de Laval) to be published by Anthropologie
et Sociétés, Montreal, Canada.
- Spencer, Maxine and Nampijinpa Hargraves. 2001 [appeared
2003]. Juka-juka rain dreaming. "as told by Rosie
Nangala Fleming" Yuendumu : Bilingual Resources Development
Unit. ISBN 086751342X * first published in Warlpiri as Warlpiri
'Juka-juka ngapa jukurrpa', 2001.
- Sathre, Eric. [= Eirik Saethre] 2003. Everyday illness :
discourse, action, and experience in the Australian desert. PhD
dissertation, Anthropology, Australian National University.
vii+292 leaves. ANU
catalogue entry * Lajamanu
- Raffaele, Paul. 2003. The
last tribes on earth: Journeys among the world's most
threatened cultures. Macmillan, 322pp, $30. * includes
desciption of experience with an Aboriginal (sc. Warlpiri)
tracker * reviewed by Denise Leith, Sydney
Herald, 2 August 2003.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2003. Yilpinji
the Visual Art of the Warlpiri and Kukatja peoples. Essay
Magic and Ceremony: A collection of prints by artists from
Balgo, Yuendumu and Lajamanu. Exhibition 1-31 January
2004. Also at http://www.aboriginalartprints.com.au/yilpinji_essay.cfm
* Yilpinji Love, Magic and Ceremony. ABC Radio
National. Persective. Presented by Sandy McCutcheon 5:55pm
on Thursday 24 July. transcript
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2003. Warlpiri sociality : an ethnography
of the spatial and temporal dimensions of everyday life in a
Central Australian aboriginal settlement. PhD thesis, School of
Archaeology and Anthropology, The Australian National
University. * abstract in the Australian
Anthropological Society Newsletter Number 94, June 2004.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2003. Slicing the day. On boredom and
time at Yuendumu. Delivered at 2003 AAS Conference at Sydney
- Keys, Catherine. 2003. Housing design principles from a study
of Warlpiri women's jilimi, pages 64-70 in Take 2:
Housing Design in Indigenous Australia, ed. by Paul
Memmott. ISSN 1447-1167. Red Hill: The Royal Australian
Institute of Architects. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/15058319.pdf#page=65
- Kelly, Kieran. Across the Tanami - on foot. 2003. Outback. The Heart of
Australia 27 (Feb/Mar),20-28. * also cover
'Exclusive. The epic story of the first humans known to have
walked the Tanami Desert' * Photos Kieran Kelly and Andrew
Harper * Letters to Editor from John Kersh, Kay O'Neill, Paddy
Cannon and Gary Hearle Outback 28(Apr/May),10. Letters
to Editor from Kieran Kelly, and Marie Mahood Outback
29(Jun/Jul),11-12. * mentioned in Valmai Hankel's preface,
p.xxv, to the 2005
edition of Davidson's Journal * 9 audio CDs (ca. 10 hr 45
min) "On foot across Australia's desert heart"--Container. Read
by Peter Hosking. * "Australia's Tanami Desert is a waterless
hell of dense scrub and spinifex-infested sand ridges, and in
mid-2002 Kieran Kelly and Andrew Harper set out to cross the
Tanami on foot. Without a support crew they pitted themselves
and their five camels against the very worst the desert could
throw at them."
- Kelly, Kieran. 2003. Tanami - on foot across Australia's
desert heart. Pan Macmillan. 317pp. $30 * Reviewed by
Nicolas Rothwell 'Walking to wisdom', Weekend Australian
(August 16/17) Review, 8-9.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. 2003. Traditional abstracts. [review]
'Dorothy Napangardi, Dancing Up Country. Museum of Contemporary
Art, Sydney, ends March 9, then tours to Hanoi, Manila and Kuala
Lumpur.' Weekend Australian Review 25-26 January 2002,
page R13 * Mina Mina
- Clifton, Tony. 2003. A Hot Commodity with a 30,000-year
lineage. In Australia, modern aboriginal art resembles its
ancient predecessors, except for the prices. New York Times, April 24th
2003, 'The Arts' section. * transcription
Paul. 2003. Natural considerations: The human ecology of
place-making. Presented 29 May in CRES
Seminar Series, ANU * presentation of Faulstich 1998, with
slides of Nyirrpi area
- Warrki Jarrinjaku Jintangkamanu Purananjaku [sc.
Purdanyanjaku] = "working together everyone and listening". Aboriginal child rearing &
associated research : a review of the literature.
Canberra : Dept. of Family and Community Services. ISBN
- Tamisari, Franca. 2002. Review of Dussart 2000. American
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2002. "Too much sorry all the time":
Warlpiri mortuary rituals as embodied practice. 13 September
3pm, HRC seminar Room, ANU. * see 2008
- Lawrence, Rebecca. 2002. Governing Warlpiri subjects:
indigenous employment and training programs in the Central
Australian mining industry. Honours
thesis, Department of Human Geography, Division of
Environmental & Life Sciences, Macquarie University. * see
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2002. New media projects at Yuendumu:
Inter-cultural engagement and self-determination in an era of
accelerated globalisation. Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural
- Hansen, Ian V. 2002. The naked fish : an autobiography of
belief. Kent Town, S. Aust: Wakefield Press. * pp.95-100
on January 1953 Yuendumu visit and Rev. Fleming * see Hansen
- Gibson, Michael Francis. 2002. Ces lois inconnues : Pour
une anthropologie du sens de la vie. Collection
Traversées. Paris: Éditions Métailié. * AIATSIS call number B
G449.51/C1 * Warlpiri pp.124-8
- Clarsen, Georgine. 2002. Still
Bush Mechanics in the
central desert. Australian Humanties Review Issue
March – May 2002
- Bell, Diane. 2002 (appeared March 2003). Review of Dussart
- Biddle, Jennifer.
Review of Dussart 2000. Oceania 72.3(March),232-3.
- Biddle, Jennifer.
2002. Bruises that won't heal: melancholic identification and
cultural difference. Mortality 7.1 (April 2002), Special
Edition on 'Thanatographia'. * "Morbidity of the
Anthropologist's Body", presented at Thanatographia:
Death: Anatomies of Ritual, Representation and Culture, 1-2
Françoise. 2002. The Right to
Know and the Right to Perform. Presented at the Ninth
International Conference On Hunting and Gathering Societies
(CHAGS 9) Session 31. General Session II, Edinburgh, Scotland,
9-13th September 2002.
Françoise. 2002 (appeared 2001). First impressions: diary
of a French anthropologist in New York City, pp.139-147 in Distant
America as a foreign culture, ed. by Philip R. DeVita and
Kames D. Armstrong. 3rd edition. Belmont, CA, USA: Wadsworth
videoconferences March 2002
- Cruvant, Michèle. 2001/2. Bible stories are stories of place.
Yubu 78 (2001/2), 1-6. [retells Jesus Meets the
Woman at the Well] p.2 Warlpiri-style iconography * the
author has been a Little Sister of Jesus at Yuendumu for twelve
years * https://www.misacor.org.au/images/Documents/NelenYubu/NY78.PDF
- Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi Aboriginal Association. 2001.
Pipirri Wiimaku = "for the little kids". Innovative child care
report 2000-2001. Alice Springs, N.T. : The Association. *
Waltja's Child Care Steering Committee workshop at Yuendumu,
- Toohey, Paul. 2001. Mothers of sorrow. The Weekend
Australian, March 17-18, 24-25. * child removal from
- Stotz, Gertrude. 2001. The colonizing vehicle,
pp.223-244 in Car Cultures, edited by Daniel Miller,
Oxford : Berg.
- Paltridge, Rachel & Theresa Nano. 2001. Digging for frogs
in the Tanami Desert. Australian
Geographic 61(January-March), 25-26. * photos *
mentions wardaranji 'desert spadefoot toad (Notaden
nichollsi), Tanami toadlet (Uperoleia micromeles)',
kurntulja 'Oat Kangaroo Grass', yarrajipawu 'edible grass sp.', at
- Outback excursions vital to preserve culture. Australian
Geographic 62 (Apr-Jun 2001),10. * with photo "Clasping
wurrpardi - or dancing sticks - girls from Lajamanu learn ...
- Ottosson, Ḁse-Britt. 2001. "Black Boys and Nice Coloured
Girls". Presented to 'Subjectivities and identities' roundtable,
July 7, in 'Looking Back, Looking Ahead: Popular Music
Studies 20 Years Later', Eleventh Biannual IASPM Conference,
July 6-10, 2001, Turku, Finland. (IASPM-Norden = Nordic branch
of the International Association for the Study of Popular
Music) * abstract linked from programme.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2001. Risking linguistic genocide. Arena Magazine 2/1/2001
* closing of bilingual education programs in Northern Territory
- Nicholls, Christine. 2001. The
of the Bilingual Education Programs in Australia's Northern
Territory -- What Is at Stake? TESOL Matters Vol. 11 No. 4
(September/October/November 2001) * also in ICP
Online with subtitle 'A Former School Principal's
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2001. Yuendumu CDEP: The Warlpiri Work
Ethic and Kardiya Staff Turnover, pp.153-65 in The Indigenous
Welfare Economy and the CDEP Scheme. CAEPR Research Monograph No
20. F. Morphy and W. Sanders, eds. Canberra: Centre for
Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2001. Indigenous families and the welfare
system: the Yuendumu community case study, Stage Two. x+34pp. CAEPR
Discussion Paper No. 217, Centre For Aboriginal Economic
Policy Research, ANU, Canberra.
- Marcus, Julie. 2001. The indomitable Miss Pink: a life in
anthropology. ISBN 0-86840-547-0 340pp. Sydney: University
of New South Wales Press.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2001. The Warlpiri Media Video Archive: A
Report for the Warlpiri Media Association and the Australian
Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
Unpublished report, AIATSIS, Canberra.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2001. New Media projects at Yuendumu:
Towards a history and analysis of inter-cultural engagement.
Paper presented at the AIATSIS
conference 2001: 'The Power of Knowledge, the Resonance of
Tradition', the ANU, 18-20 September 2001.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2001. Returning Research through
Multimedia and the Internet, presented to 'The Production and
Reception of Contemporary Media Technology' symposium, AIATSIS conference 2001:
'˜The Power of Knowledge, the Resonance of Tradition', the ANU,
18-20 September 2001. * demonstration of Yapa CD-ROM
- Gibson, D.F. & Adrian Winwood-Smith. 2001. Michael Terry
and the dancing hare without a body. Wildlife
- Elias, Derek J. 2001. Jukurrpa — Golden dreams, pp.207-221 in
Gold: Forgotten histories and
lost objects of Australia, edited by Iain MacCalman,
Alexander Cook, Andrew Reeves.
Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 0521805953
- Elias, Derek J. 2001. Golden
: people, place and mining in the Tanami Desert. Thesis
(Ph.D.), Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian
National University. vii+257pp.
- Durand, Robert. 2001. Networking
new tools: Using the Super Hyway and distributed data
spaces to bring the collections home, in Indigenous Cultures
in an Interconected World, ed. by Claire Smith &
Graeme K. Ward. Allen & Unwin Aboriginal Studies. ISBN
1-86448-926-X Paperback - 284 pages (March 2001)
University of Washington Press; ISBN: 0774808063 * from
- Campbell, Liam and Andrew Stojanovski. 2001. Warlpiri
work with petrol sniffers. Indigenous Law Bulletin 46 5.9 (July 2001)
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2001. Inscribing identity: skin as country
in the Central Desert. In S Ahmed & J Stacey (eds) Thinking
the Skin, pp.177-193, London: Routledge.
- Kirkby, David.
(launch July 2001) Spinifex. ("New Poets" series)
Islands Press * mostly NT based writing, incl. 'Lajamanu
Morning' which won the Bruce Dawe National Poetry Prize (awarded
Françoise. 2001. Warlpiri Public Events and the Projection
of Social Identity. Presented to Symposium A Session 32, AIATSIS conference,
Canberra, 18-21 September. [pdf]
cattle stations: far too many bosses! Alice Springs
News November 28, 2001 * summary of Phillpot 2000
- Watts, Lisa Patricia and Simon Fisher. 2000. Pikilyi water
rights - human rights. xxiii, 268 leaves. Thesis (B.Sc.
(Hons.))--Northern Territory University. "Embargoed until
further instruction from the authors". http://catalogue.cdu.edu.au * see
Watts & Fisher 2007
- Toyne, Peter Howard. 2000. The internal colonisation of the
Warlpiri and its resistance through educational practice. PhD
thesis. 205 leaves. Institute For Education, School of Arts and
Education, Faculty at Bendigo, La Trobe University * AIATSIS
Library microfiche MFE 254
- Rover, G. J. (Genie Jean). 2000. My three lives.
Cooltong, S. Aust. : G. R. Rover. xi+193pp. ISBN 0646397362 *
includes experiences as wife of store manager at Lajamanu
- Pierroutsakos, Sophia L. 2000. Infants of the dreaming: a
Warlpiri guide to child care. Chap. 6 in A world of babies : imagined
childcare guides for seven societies, edited by
Judy S. DeLoache and Alma Gottlieb (University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign) CUP. ISBN-10: 0521664756 | ISBN-13:
9780521664752) * book reviewed by Andrew Beatty, American Ethnologist
- Phillpot, Stuart George. 2000. Black pastoralism :
contemporary aboriginal land use : the experience of aboriginal
owned pastoral enterprises in the Northern Territory 1972-1996.
xiii+470 leaves. Thesis (Ph.D.), Australian National University.
* Two detailed case studies: Ti-Tree Station, run by the
Puraiya Cattle Company, and the Ngarliyikirlangu Pastoral
Company at Yuendumu. * summarised in Alice Springs News
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2000. An expanding Aboriginal domain:
mobility and the initiation journey. Oceania
70.3(March),205-218. * cf. Peterson 1995.
- Nicholls, Christine, and others. 2000. Educator stood for
duality. [*Kay Napaljarri Ross, obituary]. Australian 27
Dec 2000, page 9. * also a longer version in Ngoonjook
- Nicholls, Christine and Dorothy Napangardi. December 2000. Art
Australia 136:8-11. * DN is a prominent Warlpiri artist
from Mina Mina
- Nicholls C. 2000. Warlpiri Grafiti. Rate, colour identity
in Australia and New Zealand. John Docker J and Gerhard
Fischer (eds) pp.79-94. Sydney: University of New South Wales
Press. 0 86840 538 8
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. The Yuendumu Community Case Study.
In Indigenous Families and the Welfare System: Two Community
Case Studies. CAEPR Research Monograph No 17. D.E. Smith,
ed. Pp. 53-84. Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy
Research, The Australian National University.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. Love & Death in Yuendumu.
Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology &
Anthropology, Arts, ANU. 9 June 2000.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. [work ethic at Yuendumu] Presented
to CAEPR conference on CDEP, ANU. 7 November 2000.
- McConvell, Patrick. 'Born is nothing': Roots, family trees and
other attachments to land in the Victoria River District and the
Kimberleys. Aboriginal History 22 1998 (appeared
- Keys, Cathy. 2000. Warlpiri ethno-architecture and applied
Aboriginal architectural design: Case studies from Yuendumu.
People and Physical Environment Research, 55–56, 54–68.
- Keys, Cathy. 2000. The house and the yupukarra
(married people's camp): a history of housing in Yuendumu
1950s-1990s, pp.118-129 in Settlement: A History of Australian
Indigenous Housing, ed. by Peter Read. Canberra: Aboriginal
Studies Press. * from Keys 1998
- Holledge, Julie & Joanne Tompkins. 2000. Women's
intercultural performance. London and New York: Routledge.
0-415-17379-5 (pbk); 0-415-17378-7 (hbk)
- Gibson, D.F. & Adrian Winwood-Smith. (to appear)
Michael Terry (1899-1981) and the mammals of central Australia.
Australian Mammalogy. 18pp. MS
- Donnan, Shawn. 2000. Granny patrol in the Australian outback.
Special to The Christian Science Monitor
Mar 06, 2000 edition (851 words) * Yuendumu
Yasmine. 2000. CAEPR lunchtime seminar (on research at
Yuendumu). ANU. 17 May 2000.
- Biddle, Jennifer.
2000. Writing without ink: methodology, literacy and
cultural difference, pp.170-187 in Lee, Alison and Poynton, Cate
(eds) Culture and Text: Discourse and methodology in
social research and cultural studies. St. Leonards: Allen
- Tafler, David.
of electronic media in remote Aboriginal communities. Australian
Studies 2000/1&2,27-38.* published version of Tafler
& Kirkby 1997
Françoise. 2000. The politics of representation: Kinship
and gender in the performance of public ritual, in Oxford
Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture, ed. by S.
Kleinert & M. Neale. Melbourne and London: Oxford Press.
Françoise. 2000. The Politics of Ritual in an
Aboriginal Settlement: Kinship, Gender, and the Currency of
Knowledge. (Smithsonian Series in Ethnographic Inquiry)
Smithsonian Press. ISBN 1560983930 288pp. * reviewed by
Tamisari 2002, Bell 2002, Povinelli 2004
- Nicholls, Christine. 1999. Art for
the heart's sake: the genesis of the acrylic art movement at
Lajamanu, NT. Crossings.
Journal of the International Association of Australian Studies
(InASA) 4.2(August 1999) http://www.uq.edu.au/~enldale/Crossings.htm
- Warlpiri Teachers at Lajamanu. 1999. History of the Lajamanu
School Bilingual Program. Ngoonjook: a journal of Australian
Indigenous Issues 16,51-54.
- Nicholls, Christine and Ross Shanahan. 1999. Learning not to
labour: recent experiences of a central desert community, in Australian
history reconsidered, edited by David Palmer, Ross
Shanahan and Martin Shanahan. Adelaide: Australian Humanities
Press, pp.162-176. ISBN 0 9585962 1 2
- Keys, Catherine Ann. 1999. The architectural implications of
Warlpiri jilimi. A thesis submitted in fulfilment of the
requirements for a Doctorate of Philosophy. Department of
Architecture. University of Queensland. March 1999.
- Jordan, Rev. Ivan. 1999. Brief History of Baptist Ministry to
the Indigenous People of Central Australia. 8 Dec 1999. http://www.bwa-baptist-heritage.org/bap-ab.htm
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1999. Warlpiri Connections: New
Technology, New Enterprise and Emergent Social Forms at
Yuendumu. Unpublished PhD thesis, Department of Sociology,
Politics and Anthropology, La Trobe University, Bundoora.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. 1999. Enter here for Dreaming. Weekend
Australian November 6-7. Review, p.23 * about Unhinged:
The Yuendumu Doors.
Museum of Sydney until December 5. National tour until
2001. "The arrival of the Yuendumu doors at the Museum of Sydney
raises disquieting questions about the display of Aboriginal
- Day, Mark (1943-). 1999. Pulse of the nation : a portrait
of Australia. Sydney: Harper Collins. 276pp. ISBN
0732258634 * Yuendumu, pp.88-97
- Buchtman, Lydia. 1999. Digital
songlines: The use of modern communication technology by
an Aboriginal community in remote Australia. In Session 2A:
Human Interface, COMMUNICATIONS
FORUM, 27 September 1999, Canberra. [abstract]
* about remote Aboriginal broadcasting, looking at the
development of indigenous broadcasting at Yuendumu, and the
effects of new technologies.
- Nicholls, Christine. 1999. Ten common attitudes to, and myths
about, the Northern Territory's bilingual education programs. Ngoonjook:
of Australian Indigenous Issues 16 (Dec. 1999),77-88. *
includes Lajamanu school
Yasmine. 1999. Life in the 'Hotbeds of Gossip': Facts,
Facts, Facts. On the Significance of Sleeping Arrangements in a
Jilimi. Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology &
Anthropology, Arts, ANU. July 1999.
- Kirkby, David.
1999. Waves. Lines from a Lakeside City: poems selected for
the 1999 Roland Robinson Literary Award. [Speers Point,
NSW]: Lake Macquarie City Council. * short story, drawn from
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1999. Négociations pour la fabrication
et la distribution d’un cédérom: ‘Yapa - Art rituel du désert
central australien’. Journal des Anthropologues
Françoise. 1999. What an acrylic can mean : on the
meta-ritualistic resonances of a central desert painting,
pp.193-218 in Art from the land : dialogues with the
Kluge-Ruhe Collection of Australian Aboriginal art, edited
by Howard Morphy & Margo Smith Boles. Charlottesville, Va.:
University of Virginia ; Michelago: MSquared. vi+266pp.;
29 cm. ISBN 1) 0957713509 2) 0646370871 (pbk.) * Karrku
Françoise. 1999. The Warlpiri, pp. 363-66 in Foraging
peoples: An encyclopedia of contemporary hunters and gatherers,
ed. by Richard Lee and Richard Daly. Cambridge University
Press. * in press 1996 * paperback edition first published in
Review": Northern Territory. Dept. of Education. 1999. Learning
an independent review of indigenous education in the Northern
Territory. Darwin, N.T.: The Dept. 218pp. ©
Northern Territory Department of Education 1999 ISBN 0 7245 3449
- "For further information please contact Northern Territory
Department of Education GPO Box 4821 Darwin NT 0801 Telephone
(08) 8999 5511"
- Warlukurlangu Artists. Yuendumu Doors.
Collector's edition (25) of a full set of 30 etchings of the
reknowned Yuendumu Doors by Paddy Japaljarri Stewart and Paddy
Japaljarri Sims * sold out
- Wright, Alexis (ed.) 1998. Take power like this old man
here: an anthology of writings celebrating twenty years of
land rights in Central Australia, 1977-1997. Edited for
the Central Land Council. ISBN 1 86465 005 2. Alice Springs:
Jukurrpa Books, IAD Press. * includes articles by Elias, Nash,
- van Holst Pellekaan, Sheila M., Marianne Frommer, John A.
Sved, & Barry Boettcher. 1998. Mitochondrial
Sequence Variation in Aboriginal Australians. Am. J.
Hum. Genet. 62:35-449. 0002-9297/98/6202-0029 $02.00 The
American Society of Human Genetics.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 1998. Revisiting the Willowra Land
Claim, in Wright (ed.) 1998.
- Safe, Mike. 1998. Flower power. Aboriginal and African
cultures share a unique - and tasty - recipe for self-help.
Photography Oliver Strewe. The Australian Magazine July
25-26, 21-23,25. * incl photos of Kay Napaljarri Ross, Rosie
Nangala, Maggie Nakamarra; and Acacia coriacea
- Reeves, John. 1998. Building on
Land Rights for the Next Generation. Report of the
Review of the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act
1976. 2v. Canberra: ATSIC.
- Nicholls, Christine. 1998. Nicknaming and Graffiti Writing
Practices at Lajamanu N.T. ? A Post-ethnographic Sociological
Fiction. Ph.D.thesis Macquarie University Sociology. * Dean's
Commendation for best thesis in ten years from the
Vice-Chancellor's office, Macquarie University
- Nash, David. (in prep. 1998) Ethnocartography: understanding
central Australian geographic literacy. Presented 22 April 1998
to Space seminar, Language and
Cognition Group, MPI, Nijmegen. 4pp. handout.
- Draft 2/10/1998, 30pp. Presented to Australian
Anthropological Society annual conference, 2 October 1998,
Canberra. * abstract
- Mulvaney, Ken. 1998. The Granites: social contact and change
trapped in stone. Paper presented to 'Making a Mark', AURA
Inter-Congress Symposium, Canberra, 6 - 9 February 1998.
- Maloney, Shane. 1998. Nice Try. Melbourne: Text Publishing.
ISBN 1-875847-47-2 * page 24: "a voice joined in in an adenoidal
Aboriginal chant Manuyangka nyiyarlangurlu, jarntungku
marda, yankirrirli..."; repeated pages 83, 218. [this
unattributed Warlpiri fragment occurs in the definition of jiwirli-jiwirli-wampami
[PPJ 6/1987] ] * page 105: "Tempus fugit, as they
say in Walpiri." [sic]
- Keys, Cathy. 1998. The house and the yupukarra
(married people's camp): a history of housing in Yuendumu
1950s-1990s. Paper presented 18 February 1998 to a conference on
The History of Australian Indigenous Housing, sponsored by the
Urban Research Program, RSS, ANU. * published Keys 2000
- Keys, Cathy. (submitted 1998) The Architectural implications
of Warlpiri-speaking Aboriginal women living in jilimi
(single women's camps). Doctoral thesis, Department of
Architecture, University of Queensland.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1998. Yanardilyi - Cockatoo Creek: A CD-ROM
from Yuendumu for a future of greater understanding. Metro
- Finnane, Kieran. 1998. They
started with pick and shovel... Then they led the industry!
News 5.27(August 5),4-5. * Sitzlers; includes aerial
photograph of Yuendumu ca.1957, comment on shelters
- Dobrez, Livio. 1996 [appeared 1998]. Ethnography -- Who needs
it? Aboriginal History 20,201-210. * includes review of
Michaels 1994, etc
Yasmine. 1998. Yapa Way: Processes of Transformation and
Discourses of Continuity. Seminar presented to Department of
Archaeology & Anthropology, Arts, ANU. Friday, 11 September
- Burke, Paul.
1998. Anthropological Understanding of Warlpiri People.
MLitt(Anthropology) subthesis. Department of Archaeology &
Anthropology, Arts, ANU. *
- Author's summary: an analysis of selected Warlpiri
ethnographies in terms of Bohman's prescriptions for adequate
explanation in his New Philosophy of Social Science: Problems of
Indeterminacy including Meggitt, Munn, Dussart (cf Meyers),
Michaels, Jackson; historical anthropology as an approach to
Warlpiri Christian purlapa.
- Kirkby, David. 1998. Junga Yimi (True Story). Lines from a
Lakeside City : poems selected for the 1998 Roland Robinson
Literary Award,ed. by Richard Kelly Tipping & Jean
Kent. [Speers Point, NSW]: Lake Macquarie City Council. * poem
- Kirkby, David. 1998. Japanangka's dog. Overland
* Lajamanu, Parnta * = Kirkby 1997
- Japaljarri (1924- ). c1998. Tribal elders : symbolic
dreamings from the Australian aboriginal 'Walpiri' tribe.
Canterbury, Vic. : EON International. * "Lajamanu : recent works
by the Australian aborigines of Lajamanu" [checklist] (2
leaves), issued by the Robert Steele Gallery, New York, laid in
Paul. 1998. Geophilia: Landscape and Humanity. Wild
Earth Journal 8.1,81-9.
- Ginsburg, Faye. (in progress) Mediating culture: Indigenous identity in the age of
- Winwood-Smith, Adrian. 1997. Yuendumu Mining Company N.L.:
Hiring of rural Aborigines for the mineral exploration industry.
Down to Earth: Journal of the Northern Territory Minerals
Council, March. Darwin.
- Widlok, Thomas. 1997. Traditions of transformation. Travelling
rituals in Australia, pp.11-22 in Cultural Dynamics of
Religious Change in Oceania, ed. by Ton Otto & Ad
Borsboom. Leiden: KITLV Press. (Verhandelingen van het
Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- end Volkenkunde) ISBN
- Tafler, David & David Kirkby. 1997. The
of Electronic Media in Remote Aboriginal Communities.
Paper presented to the Rock
-1997 Fulbright Symposium Indigenous Cultures in an
Interconected World, Museum and Art Gallery of the
Northern Territory (MAGNT), Darwin, 23-26 July 1997. * published
as Tafler 2000
- Simpson, Jane H. 1997. Perceptions of meteorology in some
Aboriginal languages, pp.20-28 in Windows on Meteorology:
Australian Perspective ed. by Eric K. Webb. ISBN
0-643-06038-3 Melbourne: CSIRO
- Nicholls, Christine. 1997. Aboriginal graffiti tradition. Convocation
Alumni Magazine of Flinders University, Spring, 5. *
photograph of Lajamanu graffiti
- Kirkby, David. 1997. Japanangka's dog. Ngoonjook 12
(July 1997), 76-77. https://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=034268590158706;res=IELAPA
* Lajamanu, Parnta * = Kirkby 1998
- Keys, Cathy. 1997. Unearthing ethnoarchitectural types. Transition
(Collingwood, Vic) 54-55, 20-29. * "This paper describes yuntas
or wind breaks which are created in the self constructed living
environments of single Warlpiri speaking Aboriginal women in
- Elias, D.J. 1997. The Fluctuation of the flock: People and
place in the Tanami Desert. Seminar presented to Department of
Archaeology & Anthropology, Faculty of Arts, Australian
National University - 20 June 1997
- Dussart, Françoise. 1997. Gender and ritual leadership in
Central Australia. Presented to From Myth to Minerals: Place,
Narrative, Land and Transformation in Australia and New Guinea.
A conference held at Burton & Garran Halls, Australian
National University, Canberra, July 17-20. * about yamparru
- Dussart, Françoise. 1997. A body painting in translation, in Rethinking
Visual Anthropology, ed. by Howard Morphy & Marcus
Banks. ISBN 0300066910 New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Durand, Robert. 1997. Networking
new tools: Using the Super Hyway and distributed data
spaces to bring the collections home. Paper to be presented to
-1997 Fulbright Symposium Indigenous Cultures in an
Interconected World, Museum and Art Gallery of the
Northern Territory (MAGNT), Darwin, 23-26 July 1997. *
- Congreve, Susan. 1997. Painting up big. Community painting at
Yuendumu. Art and
Australia Quarterly Journal 35.1,88-93.
- Brady, Maggie, Stephen J. Kunitz & David Nash. 1997. WHO's
definition? Australian Aborigines, conceptualisations of health
and the World Health Organization, pp.272-290 in Migrants,
Minorities and Health. Historical and contemporary studies,
edited by Lara Marks & Michael Worboys. (Studies in the
Social History of Medicine). London & New York: Routledge.
- Barker, R[uth] N. 1997. Linking with community development. An
outsider working in remote Aboriginal communities of Central
Australia, Unpublished Master of Arts (Aboriginal Studies)
thesis, University of South Australia. * [not yet seen]
Yasmine. 1997. "I am doing this, my Dreaming, and now you
know." On Contemporary 'Totemism', Art, and Cosmology. M.A.
thesis, submitted February 1997, Fachbereich Philiosophie und
Sozialwissenschaften II der Freien Universität Berlin am
Institut für Ethnologie. vii+121pp. * based on work at Yuendumu
1994, 1995, 1996
- Biddle, Jennifer.
1997. Shame. Australian Feminist Studies 12.6,227-238.
- Toyne, Peter, Robin Japanangka Granites & Smithie Zimran.
1996. Towards a bicultural regional water program in central
Australia : consultations with Aboriginal community groups.
Canberra: Australian Geological Survey Organisation (AGSO),
DoPIE. $25.00 32pp. Catalogue Number 23181. ISBN 0642249873 * NLA catalogue entry
(no longer available)
- Sutton, Peter. 1996. The robustness of Aboriginal land tenure
systems: underlying and proximate customary titles. Oceania
- Steer, Phillip J. 1996. It happened at Yuendumu.
Published by the author, December 1996. ISBN 064630676-6 *
Reminiscences of Phillip & Frances Steer, founding
- Richards, Dave. 1996. She of the Never-Never. HQ Magazine
49(Nov/Dec),68-75. * on current interest in Olive Pink
- Poirier, Sylvie. 1996. Les Jardins du Nomade. Cosmologie,
territoire et personne dans le désert occidental australien.
(Studies in social and ritual morphology, 1) Münster: Lit
Verlag. ISBN 3-8258-2482-9 xv+291pp. ca 68.80DM * focuses on
Balgo, with mentions of Warlpiri * English version 2005
- Munn, N.D. 1996. Excluded spaces: the figure in the Australian
Aboriginal landscape. Critical Inquiry 22,446-465.
- Morphy, Howard. 1996. Proximity and distance: representations
of Aboriginal society in the writings of Bill Harney and Bruce
Chatwin, pp.157–179 in Popularizing anthropology, edited
by Jeremy MacClancy & Chris McDonaugh. Psychology Press. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=PACTCwZE
- Lucich, Peter. 1996. Understanding Australian kinship: Rewrite
rules or homomorphisms? Journal of
Quantitative Anthropology 6.1-4 (1996),101-146. *
pp128-9 Warlpiri in Table V
- Keys, Cathy. 1996. Defining single Aboriginal women's housing
needs in central Australia: dealing with issues of culture,
gender and environment. Paper presented at the Gender,
Difference and the Built Environment Forum (1995: University of
Sydney) Architectural Theory Review 1.1 (Apr),
- Hodges, Mark. 1996. Online
the Outback. Technology Review 99.3(April
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1996. The circus comes to Yuendumu, again. -
Global television comes up against the Warlpiri Media
Association. Arena Magazine no. 25 (Oct/ Nov
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1996. Making meaning of the Yuendumu doors.
Arena Journal no. 5, 5-15.
Barbara. Les Rêveurs du désert. Peuple warlpiri
d'Australie (réédition avec nouvelle postface), Arles, Actes Sud
(1e ed. 1989, Paris, Plon), 380p. * see also Glowczewski 2016
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1996. Riviera - Hypermedia
cadavres exquis. * Riviera is built along the lines of
the surrealist game of the cadavres exquis - the
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1996. Codes und Struzkturen
der Informationsverwaltung - vom vertikalen zum horizontalen
Denken. Lecture for the opening of an Internet
- Elias, D.J. 1996. Golden Dreams: The Warlpiri and an Economy
of Difference. Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology
& Anthropology, Faculty of Arts, Australian National
University - 23 August 1996
- Dickins, J. 1996. Change and continuity in Central Australian
Graphic Systems. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology
15,20-40. * mainly about Munn's work and regional variation in
- Cataldi, L. 1996. The end of the Dreaming? : understandings of
history in a Warlpiri narrative of the Coniston massacres. Overland
- Biddle, Jennifer. 1996. When not writing is writing. Australian
Studies 1996/1, 21-33.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Examines the relationship between
the iconography of Warlpiri and other Central Desert paintings
and writing; explores the meaning of literacy
- Biddle, Jennifer Loureide. 1996. Festerings &
Flirtations: on mimesis, writing and difference. PhD
thesis, Dept of Anthropology, University of Sydney. ix+195pp.
April 1996. * based on fieldwork at Lajamanu
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Discussion of the construction of
cultural difference in the authors experience of fieldwork in
the Warlpiri community of Lajamanu; the process of mimesis in
colonialism - correlation with primitivism and modernism;
construction of the 'other'; conceptualisation of literacy among
the Warlpiri - discussion of 'Warlpiri Letters' - orthography;
inscription practices reflected in the use of the alphabet;
naming practice and use of names - skin names, kumanjayi;
Warlpiri writing and literacy- relationship to dot and sand
painting; problems of translation in discourse about Warlpiri
art - critique of Yuendumu Doors; the body in fieldwork
- coping with Aboriginal and European corporeality - abjection,
sociality, illness; shame and guilt in anthropological fieldwork
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 1995. Warlpiri karnta
karnta-kurlangu yimi = Warlpiri women's voices : our lives our
history. Stories told by Molly Nungarrayi ... [et al.] ;
compiled and edited by Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. Alice Springs:
IAD Press. xv+118pp. ISBN 0949659754 * presentation "Warlpiri
Women's Voices: an Overview", to 4th Australian Book Fair,
Sydney Exhibition Centre, Darling Harbour, July 1995
- Sutton, Peter. 1995. Country. Aboriginal boundaries and
land ownership in Australia. (Aboriginal History monograph
3.) Canberra: Aboriginal History Inc. 201pp. 29 cm. ISBN
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1995. Reproducing an Aboriginal domain:
mobility and the initiation journey. Presented at the symposium
'(Post) foraging societies: social reproduction, identity
politics, community viability' at the American Anthropological
Association meetings, Washington DC, 16-19 November 1995. *
- Meadows, Michael. [c1995] Ideas
the Bush: Indigenous Television in Australia and Canada. Canadian
of Communication 20.2
- Jackson, Michael. 1998. Minima
ethnographica: Intersubjectivity and the anthropological
project. University of Chicago Press. ISBN-13
978-0226389462 * pp.1-2 on Malikijarra; some passages set at
- Jackson, Michael. 1995. At home in the world. Durham:
Duke University Press. HarperCollins. 188pp. $16.95 * Reviewed
by Billy Marshall-Stoneking, Weekend Review p.9, Weekend
Australian 26-27/8/1995. * reviewed by Philip Morrissey
'Why this subject?' Australian Book Review 175(October
1995),42-43. * reviewed by Derek Elias & Harry Nelson
Jakamarra in Land Rights Queensland Issue 6 (December
1995),15. [NLA catalogue number Nef 346.9430432 LAN] * reviewed
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1995. Making meaning of the Yuendumu doors.
Arena Journal 5(New Series), 5-15.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1995. Culture versus Lifestylism: On the
life-work of Eric Michaels. Arena
Magazine 17, 51-52. * book review of Bad Aboriginal Art, a
selection of essays by Eric Michaels
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. The electronic caméra-stylo.
Strategies of audio-visual textuality and indigenous media
praxis. Lecture at NORDICIL conference of Finnish Film
Foundation "New Technologies - New Narratives", Helsinki, August
1994. Unpublished manuscript, Zurich, 01.03.95 (Draft version
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. Learning to fly. About savage
phenomena, spiritual travelling and symbiotic man-machine
evolution. Lecture at Fribourg "Festival du Belluard": Symposium
"The Incident" - Art, Technology and Phenomena (01.07.95)
Unpublished manuscript, Zurich, 30.06.95 (Draft version 2.0).
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. Protohistoric
roots of the network self. On Wired Aborigines and the
emancipation from alphabetic imperialism. Zurich, 17.03.95
/ Draft version.
- Dussart. See Swain 1993.
- Desert art on show. Land Rights Queensland Issue 6
(December 1995),20. * Warlukurlangu Artists exhibition at Bellas
Gallery, Brisbane. [NLA catalogue number Nef 346.9430432 LAN]
- Coombs, H.C. 1995. Warlpiri land use and management, chapter 3
in his Aboriginal Autonomy. Issues and strategies. ISBN
0 521 44097 1. Cambridge UP. [CUP
Barbara. Les cartes mentales chez les Aborigènes
d'Australie. Pp.59-78 in Les
du Collège iconique. INA (Institut National de
l'Audiovisuel), direction de L'Inathèque de France
(dépôt légal de la radio-télévision). Paris, 3 mai 1995. * audio
transcript of a conference
- Wild, Stephen A. 1994. Aboriginal use of narrative: the
Warlpiri of northern-central Australia, pp.80-83 in Dance
and narrative: the Green Mill Dance Project papers 1994
(Papers from the 1994 Green Mill Dance Project), ed. by Hillary
Trotter. ISBN 0646191861 vi+132pp. Canberra: Australian Dance
- Toyne, Peter. 1994. The
Impact of Future Telecommunications Developments on Aboriginal
People in Australia. © 1994 Tanami Network Pty Ltd. *
"This paper is one of a series commissioned by Telecom as part
of its consultation with customers about future services."
- Tafler, David. 1994. Does the outback represent the centre?
Tracing electronic art tracks across Australia. Continuum
- Tafler, David. 1994. Meaning
mirrors: Mapping the margins of cyberspace. Presented at
The 5th International Symposium on Electronic Art ISEA94
(University of Art and Design Helsinki UIAH, Helsinki,
- Rockman, Peggy Napaljarri & Lee Cataldi (transl.) 1994. Warlpiri
Dreamings and Histories. Yimikirli. : Newly Recorded Stories
from the Aboriginal Elders of Central Australia. (The
Sacred Literature Series of the International Sacred Literature
Trust in association with HarperCollins.) Sponsored by AIATSIS.
HarperCollins Publishers. xxiv+193pp. ISBN 0-06-066125-9 US$20
- Nakamarra, Liddy, Jeannie Nungarrayi Herbert, and Christine
Nicholls. 1994. The little red hen and her friends: issues
surrounding the Lajamanu School Bilingual Literacy Programme.
[online]. New Literatures Review 28-29, Winter/ Summer
1994/ 1995,140-152. https://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=960404124;res=IELAPA
ISSN: 0314-7495 * includes text of Warlpiri version of The
Little Red Hen = Jukujukukurlangukurlu Mangarrikirli (SIL,
- Morel, Petronella and J. Willis. 1994. Alekarenge Housing and
Infrastructure Development Plan: Social Assessment Component
Report for Centre for Appropriate Technology.
- Michaels, Eric (1948-1988). 1994. Bad Aboriginal art:
tradition, media and technological horizons. Foreword by
Dick Hebdige; introduction by Marcia Langton. (Theory out of
bounds v. 3.) xlix+203pp. ISBN 0816623414 Minneapolis:
University of Minnesota Press. 204pp. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- James, Bentley. 1994. Warlpiri Media Association Inc., pp.
139-140 in Film policy; an
Australian reader, edited by Albert Moran. Brisbane:
Institute for Cultural Policy Studies, Faculty of Humanities,
AIATS Library annotation: History, functions and importance of
the Warlpiri Media Association (WMA); Broadcasting in Remote
Aboriginal Communities Scheme (BRACS) and its lack of funding
- Granites, Robin Japanangka & Toyne, Peter. 1994. The
Tanami Network: Alleviating isolation through regional, national
and global networking. Background discussion paper, Yuendumu.
- Graham, Robert. See Bell 1993.
- Ginsburg, Faye. 1994. Culture/media: a (mild) polemic. Anthropology
Today 10.2,5–15. https://www.jstor.org/stable/2783305
* page 8 cites Michaels (1986, 1987, 1991); page 12 mentions Manyu
Wana 'circulating nationally and even internationally'
- Dussart, Françoise. Exhibitions of Identity: Warlpiri women
and the Performance of Public Ritual. Presented to European
Society for Oceanists, Basel, Switzerland. * for Foragers
Nations: Reproduction in Aboriginal Societies, ed. by Lee
& David Trigger.
- Daniels, Dolly Nampijinpa & Anne Mosey. 1994. ngurra
(camp/home/country). Underdale: UniSA
Museum, University of South Australia. ISBN 0-86803-081-3
32pp. 5 colour illustrations * exhibition held at UniSA
Museum, Adelaide, 24 February – 26 March 1994 * some
Warlpiri language text with English translation * essays by
Petronella Vaarzon-Morel, Kerry Giles
- Ascher, Marcia. 1994. Ethnomathematics: Multicultural view
of mathematical ideas. Chapman and Hall/CRC; 2nd edition.
* Warlpiri kinship, pp.70-77,81-82, drawing on Laughren 1982
- Swain, Tony (1955-). 1993. A place for strangers: towards
a history of Australian Aboriginal being. Cambridge
England ; Melbourne : Cambridge University Press. ISBN
0521430054 * reviewed by Françoise Dussart in American
- Stotz, Gertrude. 1993. "Kurdungurlu got to drive Toyota":
differential colonizing process among the Warlpiri. vii+264
leaves. Thesis (Ph.D.)--Deakin University.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1993. Recent research on land tenure in the
Central Desert of Australia. [5pp. ms.]
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1993. [in Japanese] The Japanese
Journal of Science 46.8(Aug. 1993),[39-45]745-751.
- Morel, Petronella and Helen Ross. 1993. Housing design
assessment for bush communities. Diagrams by Jane
Dillon. Alice Springs: Tangentyere Council Inc.
- Molnar, Helen. 1993. Indigenous use of small media: community
radio, BRACS -Broadcasting for Remote Aboriginal Communities
Scheme- and the Tanami network, pp.30-49 in Circit Conference
(1993: Melbourne). Enhancing Cultural Value: Narrowcasting,
Community Media and Cultural Development: Proceedings.
- McGill, Graham. 1993. An Australian Aboriginal community's
restraints on a school program : a case study. Thesis (M.Ed.),
Northern Territory University. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/13696045
* Willowra School
- Marcus, Julie (ed.) 1993. First in their field : women and
Australian anthropology. ISBN 0522844669 xvi+189pp.
Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Lowe, Hinton John. c1993. Jukurrpa wankaru juku = keeping
the dreaming alive / [photography, Christopher Groenhout;
... written by Hinton J. Lowe] Melbourne: Australian Exhibitions
Touring Agency. ISBN 1875296115 24pp.
- Laughren, Mary. 1993. Social anthropology: Du rêve
la loi chez les Aborigènes: Mythes, rites et organisation
sociale en Australie [Book review]. Australian
Aboriginal Studies 1993/2,74–80. https://search.informit.com.au/fullText;dn=159426258100035;res=IELIND
* see Glowczewski 1991
- Fischer, R.A. 1993. The savage Media - A media-anthropological
evaluation of the technologization of aboriginal
communication-modes with special regard to the Warlpiri
video-work in Yuendumu. Zurich, unpublished manuscript.
- Faulstich, Paul. 1993. "You read 'im this country": landscape,
self and art in an Aboriginal community, pp. (149)-161, 255-256
in Artistic Heritage in a Changing Pacific, edited by
Philip J.C. Dark & Roger G. Rose. Bathurst, N.S.W.: Crawford
House Press. ISBN 1863330801 * Selected papers of the
Pacific Arts Association's Fourth International Symposium on the
Arts of the Pacific held in August 1989 in Honolulu. * AIATSIS
Library annotation: Discusses how Warlpiri landscape contains
personal and group identity and history; how art and ritual are
extensions of mythology and landscape and how Warlpiri world
view and values are expressed through their art
- Dutton, Geoffrey. 1993. Aboriginal dance, Hooker Creek [poem],
p.199 in his New and selected poems. Sydney: Angus &
* reprinted from 1984 * also reproduced in https://diabetesanddust.wordpress.com/dust/
- Dussart, Françoise. 1994. Quelle [est l']'Evolution des
Collections d'Art Aborigènes et Australiennes sous la Pression
du Marche [Public], pp. 49-53 in Les Cahiers de Publics et
Musées. Musée de France, Ministère de la Culture et de la
Francophonie et College International de Philosophie. * how the
market influenced the ways things were bought by museums in
Australia, France, etc.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1993. L'Australie: La peinture du centre
et le colonialisme, pp.518-520 in Encyclopedia Universalis,
ed. by Mme F. Flon-Granveaud. Paris.
- La peinture des aborigènes d'Australie : catalogue édité à
l'occasion de l'exposition Peinture des aborigènes d'Australie
au Musée des arts d'Afrique et d'Océanie, Paris, mai-novembre
- Coombs, H. C. 1993. Willowra.
Casuarina, N.T. : Published jointly by the North Australia
Research Unit, Australian National University, and the Nugget
Coombs Forum for Indigenous Studies, 1993. vi+15pp. ISBN
073151520X Discussion paper (Australian National University.
North Australia Research Unit) ; no. 12.
- Biddle, Jennifer. 1993. The anthropologist's body, or what it
means to break your neck in the field. The Australian
Journal of Anthropology (TAJA) 4.3,184-197. * following
vehicle accident near Papunya
- Bell, Diane. 1993. Daughters of the Dreaming. Allen
& Unwin. 2nd edition of Bell 1983. * Reviewed by Robert
Graham Australian Aboriginal Studies 1994/1,45-49.
Discussion in Australian Aboriginal Studies
- Bagshaw, Jean. 1993. Stores & stories. Northern
Territory Aboriginal communities. Historical Society of
the Northern Territory: in association with the North Australia
Research Unit. ISBN 0-9599702-4-X [Yuendumu periods from May
1978 to October 1989]
Faye. 1993. Indigenous media: Faustian contract or global
village, pp.356]- in Rereading cultural anthropology
ed. by G. Marcus. Duke University.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: First part of this paper addresses
how indigenous media challenges the conventions and categories
of both traditional culture and ethnographic film; the second
part explores the specific cases of several media groups in
Central Australia including Warlpiri Media Association and CAAMA
- Watt, Ron. 1992. Bilingual education and self determination at
Lajamanu in the Northern Territory. A research paper submitted
in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
Master of Education. School of Education, Deakin University,
February 1992. vii+74pp.
- van Holst Pellekaan, Sheila. The process of consultation with
Aboriginal communities regarding biomedical and anthropological
research. Conf Proc Aust Bioethics Assoc Ann Conf 1992
3:17. Women's College, University of Sydney, Sydney.
- Toyne, Peter. 1992. The Tanami Network: New uses for
communications in support of social links and service delivery
in the remote Aboriginal communities of the Tanami. Paper
presented to Service Delivery and Communications in the 1990s
Conference, Alice Springs, March.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1992. Warlpiri, pp.373-376 in Encyclopaedia
World Cultures Volume 2: Oceania, ed. by Terrence
E. Hays. Boston: G.K. Hall. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/6660180
- O'Flynn, Luala/Nuala. 1992. Aboriginal painting, past and
present: Reading direction and the unaboriginal eye. Australian
New Zealand Studies in Canada 8,33-58. * mentions
Lajamanu women's acrylic paintings
- Niblett, Michael. 1992. Text and context: Some issues in
Warlpiri ethnography. MA thesis, Anthropology, Arts, ANU. http://hdl.handle.net/1885/112873
- Morais, Meaghan Jones. 1992. Documenting dance: Benesh
movement notation and the Warlpiri of central Australia,
pp.130-144 (discussion pp.145-153) in Music and Dance of
Aboriginal Australia and the South Pacific. The Effects of
Documentation on the Living Tradition, ed. by Alice
Marshall Moyle. Papers and Discussions of the Colloquium of the
International Council for Traditional Music held in Townsville,
1988. Oceania Monograph 41. Sydney: The University of
Barbara. 1992. YAPA: peintres Aborigènes de Balgo et
Lajamanu / Aboriginal painters from Balgo and Lajamanu
[French /English]. Paris: Galerie Baudoin Lebon editeur. 171pp.
ISBN 2-87688-020-2 * link
- * AIATSIS Library annotation: Includes sections by Barbara
Glowczewski, Christiane Senn, Michael Rae and Sylvie Poirier;
historical and cultural context of acrylic art produced by Balgo
and Lajamanu artists; brief biographies and discussion of
individual artists; relation of law to dreaming and men's and
women's art; skin names and subsections; substantial explanation
of motifs and myths depicted; extended account of eight myths:-
Digging Stick - single women, Wind - two men cannibals,
Medicine-Men, Invincible - childhood of Wind Brothers, Rain -
two transgressors, Rain and Rainbow snake, Stone Curlew - fire
messenger, Birds, Plants and Animal Dreaming
- Fischer, R.A. 1992. On the emergence of a cybernetic
mass-culture and its implications for the making of art,
pp.259-273 in Swiss Art, ed. by Heinz Horat. New York:
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. Creation et innovation. Journal
de la Societé des Oceanistes 94.1,25-34. * n1: "Cette
communication a été présentée au séminaire de la Société des
Océanistes en mars 1990."
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. Warlpiri paintings: symbols tell
stories, pp.32-35 in Australia through Time, Faces
series. American Museum of Natural History & Cobblestone
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. The Politices of female identity:
Warlpiri widows at Yuendumu. Ethnology 31.4,337-350.
Paul. 1992. Of Earth and Dreaming: Abstraction and
Naturalism in Warlpiri Art. In M.J. Morwood and D.R. Hobbs
(eds), Rock Art and Ethnography, pp. 19-23.
Melbourne: Archaeological Publications.
- Read, Peter and Jay. 1991. Long time, olden time :
Aboriginal accounts of Northern Territory history,
collected and edited by Peter and Jay Read. Alice Springs, N.T.
: Institute for Aboriginal Development. 3 sound cassettes + 1
- Peterson, Nicolas & Toshio Matsuyama (eds) 1991. Cash,
commoditisation and changing foragers. Kokuritsu
Minzokugaku Hakubutsukan. Osaka, Japan: National Museum of
Ethnology. ii+294pp. (Senri ethnological studies 0387-6004 ;
- McRae, Jill Frances Kealey. 1991. Story as sovereignty: a
study of the relationship between the sand stories of the
Warlpiri Aborigines and their country. [Lindfield,
N.S.W.]: University of Technology Sydney, Kuring-gai Campus,
School of Teacher Education. 110pp. (Kuring-gai studies in
children's literature no. 3) * field visit at Lajamanu Oct-Nov
1988; pp.71-86: 9 stories in English translation; reprints
English and graphics of Yawulyukurlu * NLA Call Number
Nq 809.8928205 KUR
- Hoogenraad, Robert (compiler). 1991. DRAFT Warlpiri language
and culture curriculum: secondary level: years 8-10, prepared by
NT Education Department Staff from material developed in the
course of the Warlpiri Secondary Curriculum Workshops held
during 1988/89. Unpublished MS, Alice Springs, N.T. Department
- Harris, Pam. 1991. Mathematics in a cultural context:
Aboriginal perspectives on space, time and money. 168pp.
ISBN 0-7300-1209-3 Geelong: Deakin University.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1991. Entre Rêve et mythe : Roheim et
les Australiens. L'Homme 118 31.2(avril-juin),125-132.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1991. Du Rêve à loi chez les
Aborigènes. Mythes, rites et organisation sociale en
Australie. Presses Universitaires de France. ISBN 2 13
0437451. * reviewed by Mary Laughren Australian Aboriginal
- Crumlin, Rosemary (ed.). 1991. Aboriginal Art and
Spirituality. ISBN 0859249980 151pp. Collins Dove. *
Foreword by Margaret Carnegie. 'Lajamanu', 59-62 by Judith Ryan.
'Yuendumu', 63-67 by Felicity Wright. 'Papunya', 76-93 by
Gabrielle Pizzi. 'Of Myth and Symbol, and Art in the Everyday',
113-117, transcript of an interview with Chris Anderson.
- Cowan, James. 1991. Sacred places
in Australia. Text by James Cowan : photographs by
Colin Beard. East Roseville, NSW: Simon & Schuster. *
Chapter 8 'Jaripiri's Dreaming', pp.134-155 * Chapter 9 'The
cave of Jukuita', pp.156-174
- Bear-Wingfield, Rebecca (curator). 1991. Kuna Jarrayi Painters
of Nyirrpi Community. An exhibition for NAIDOC Week 1991
presented by the Flinders University of South Australia, etc.
Catalogue notes by Vincent Megaw. 37 items.
- Biddle, Jennifer.
[1991?] Dot, circle, difference: Translating Central Desert
paintings, Chapter 3, pp.27-39 in Cartographies.
Poststructuralism and the mapping of bodies and space,
edited by Rosalyn Diprose & Robyn Ferrell. Allen &
- Avery, David. 1991. Duck
Toyota: The Northern Territory’s Liquor Act – Restricted areas and the
seizure of vehicles: beneficial legislation? Aboriginal Law Bulletin
2.51 (August 1991), 14.
- Ascher, Marcia. 1991. Ethnomathematics, a multicultural
view of mathematical ideas. Hardcover edition (1991) from
CRC Press Inc. Paperback edition (1994) from Chapman and
Hall/CRC. CRC Press (2010) * In Chapter 3, pp66- 'The Logic of
Kin Relations', pp70-77 kinship relations of the Warlpiri
of Australia. * link
view at Amazon
- Wales, Roger. 1990. Children's pictures. Chapter 8, pp.140-155
in Understanding children: essays in honour of Margaret
Donaldson, edited by Robert Grieve and Martin Hughes.
Oxford: Blackwell. John Wiley and Sons Ltd (paperback) * p.148
'Figure 8.1 Drawing by Judith, a young Walbiri child' (Yuendumu)
* pp.147-9 cites Munn 1973; paper summarised by editors on
pp.8-9 of introduction
- Ryan, Judith. 1990. Paint up big - Warlpiri women's art of
Lajamanu. Melbourne: National Gallery of Victoria.
80pp. ISBN 0724101454 * on t.p.: This book is
published with the generous support of the Reichstein
- Rowse, Tim. 1990. Enlisting
Warlpiri. Continuum 3.2. [see O'Reagan 1990] [41p.
- Robson, Frank. 1990. The other games. The Australian
Magazine (January 20-21) 30-33,36.
- Raynal, Chris. 1990. Yuendumu: Betrayal of Black Rights.
Blue Water Publishing. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/18028530
* reviewed by Will
- Philips, Dorothea. 1990. Jukurrpa. Artlink 10.1
- O'Reagan, Tim (ed.) 1990. Communication
Tradition: Essays after Eric Michaels. Special issue
of Continuum: The Australian Journal of Media & Culture.
Includes O'Reagan's TV as cultural technology: the work of
Eric Michaels. Continuum 3.2,53-98; Hodge, R.
Aboriginal truth and white media: Eric Michaels meets the spirit
of Aboriginalism. Continuum 3.2,201-225.
- Monty, Sharon. 1990. Abie Jangala. Artlink 10.1 &
- McKenzie, Peter. 1990. Magiciens de la Terre: "Paris is
alright but it's not Yuendumu". Artlink 10.1 &
- McKenzie, Kim and Carol Cooper. 1990. The Lajamanu
drawings. 2pp. typescript. 'September 12, 1990' * AIATSIS
Library call number pMS 6262. Restricted access.
- Lennard, Christine. 1990. Warlukurlangu Artists. Artlink
10.1 & 2 (Autumn/Winter 1990),22.
- Lennard, Christine. 1990. Two artists from Yuendumu. [F
Bronson and Norah Nelson] Artlink 10.1 & 2
- Kirkby, David. 1990. Journey to Kamirlunyu. Australian
Short Stories 30,41-50.
- Hoogenraad, Robert. 1990. AWarlpiri secondary level language
and culture curriculum: a short description. N.T. Bilingual
Education Newsletter 90-1,11-14. Darwin, N.T. Department
of Education. * AIATSIS Library Annotation: Proposals for
extending the Warlpiri Bilingual Education Program at Willowra,
arising from Bess Nungarrayi Price's work at Yirara College
- Dussart, Françoise. 1990. The choice of widowhood among
Warlpiri women. Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies
(6th 1990; Alaska) - Sixth International Conference on Hunting
and Gathering Societies, CHAGS 6; hunting and gathering
societies changing peoples, changing theories; University of
Alaska Fairbanks May 27 - June 1, 1990 - Alaska: University of
- Cataldi, Lee. 1990. Language maintenance: bilingual education
at Lajamanu school, pp.83-88 in Language Maintenance, Power
and Education in Australian Aboriginal Contexts, ed. by
Chris Walton & Willian Eggington. Darwin: NTU Press.
- Cataldi, Lee. 1990. The Women Who Live on the Ground.
Poems 1978-1988. Penguin Books. ISBN 0 14 058654 7. 55pp.
Evan. 1990. Landscape perception and visual metaphor in
Warlpiri world view. Ph.D. dissertation, Anthropology, East-West
Center and the University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1990 * published
1991 by University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor,
Mich. 4 microfiches. Order number 91-18035. * NLA Call Number mc
- Giese, Harry C. 1990. Planning a program for Aborigines in the
1950s. Northern Territory Library Service Occasional Papers
16. Darwin. https://www.nt.gov.au/
file/0005/241871/occpaper16.pdf * comments on
settlements and some individuals including in Warlpiri region
Eric. 1990. Unbecoming. An Aids Diary. EMPress
Publising (PO Box 134, Rose Bay NSW 2029) 192pp. ISBN 0 646
01184 7 (pp.15-20: Introduction: Authenticity and AIDS, by Simon
Eric. 1990. A
model of teleported texts (with reference to Aboriginal
- Swain, Tony. 1989. Dreaming, Whites and the Australian
landscape: some popular misconceptions. The Journal of
Religious History 15.3,345-350.
- Ryan, Judith. 1990. Mythscapes: Aboriginal art of the
desert from the National Gallery of Victoria. Melbourne :
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1989. Les rêveurs du désert.
Paris: Plon. * translated as Desert dreamers 1996,
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1989. [Western Desert land claim book.]
A Central Land Council submission on behalf of the traditional
owners of the land claimed.
- Napaljarri, T. Matthews, C. Nicholls, J. Henssler & M.
Prosser. 1989. The junior health worker program at Lajamanu. The
Child at School 17.1,3–7. Published online by
Cambridge University Press: 22 July 2015 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0310582200006568
- Lucich, Peter. 1989. The rational in the real: explaining the
symmetries of Australian kinship and cosmology. Mankind
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1989. A topological approach to
Australian cosmology and social organisation. Mankind
- Dussart, Françoise. 1989. Rêves à l'acrylique. Australie noire
/ dirige par Sylvie Girardet, Claire Merleau-Ponty et Anne Tardy
-- Paris : Autrement Revue 1989,104-111. ill.
- Swain, Tony. 1988. The Ghost of Space. Reflections of Warlpiri
Christian Iconography and Ritual. Swain & Rose 1988:452-469.
- Swain, Tony & Deborah Bird Rose (eds). 1988. Aboriginal
and Christian Missions. Ethnographic and Historical Studies.
ix+489pp. ISBN 0 908083 15 7 Bedford Park, SA: Australian
Association for the Study of Religions, SACAE.
- Roberts, Ainslie. 1988. Echoes of the Dreamtime.
Melbourne: JM Dent Pty Limited. * painting "The Guardian of Owl
Eric (1948-1988). 1988. Bad Aboriginal art. Art & Text 28,59-73. *
reprinted in Michaels 1994
- McClay, David JL. 1988. Surviving the whiteman's world: adult
education in Aboriginal society. PhD thesis, Graduate School of
Education, University of Queensland. xv+464pp. * based on work
at Lajamanu * UQ Library THE6582 * AIATSIS Library Ms 2670
- Lawson, S. 1988. Sons of the Kangaroo. An Analysis of the
Warlpiri Initiation Complex. BA(Hons) thesis, Anthropology,
- Hughes, Robert. 1988. Evoking the spirit ancestors. Time
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1988. La loi du Rêve. Approche
topologique de l'organisation sociale et des cosmologies des
Aborigènes australiens. Thése d'Etat
Sciences Humaines. Annexe II. Paroles de Warlpiri, 491-604. [20
sections.] 645pp. Mars 1988. Université de Paris I -
Panthéon-Sorbonne. * abstract https://www.theses.fr/1988PA010592
* published as Du Rêve. La loi chez les Aborigènes 1991
- Dussart, Françoise. 1988. Women's acrylic paintings from
Yuendumu. The Inspired Dream. [8pp., catalogue]. March 1988.
[Brisbane:] Queensland Art Gallery.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1988. Warlpiri women's Yawulyu ceremonies:
a forum for socialization and innovation. xii, 283 leaves; ill.,
geneal. tables, maps. Thesis (Ph.D) - Australian National
- Dussart, Françoise-F. 1988. Notes on Warlpiri women's personal
names. Journal de la Societé des Oceanistes 86.1,53-60.
- Clynes, Manfred. 1988. Generalized Emotion How it may be
produced, and Sentic Cycle Therapy, pp.107–170 in Emotions
and psychopathology, edited by Manfred Clynes and Jaak
Panksepp. New York : Plenum Press https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4757-1987-1_6
* proceedings of a symposium on 'Emotions and Psychopathology',
Department of Psychology of Bowling Green State University,
September 26-27, 1986 * 'Walbiri' tested at Yuendumu pp.123–4
- Bell, Diane. 1988. Choose your mission wisely. Christian
colonials and Aboriginal marital arrangements on the northern
frontier. Swain & Rose 1988:338-352. [Warlpiri
- Anderson, Chris & Françoise Dussart. 1988. Dreamings in
Acrylic: Contemporary Western Desert Art, pp. 89-142 in Dreamings,
ed. by Peter Sutton. New York: Braziller.
Paul. 1988. Representing Warlpiri: Art and Object in an
Aboriginal World View. Presented to Australian Rock Art Research
Assoc. Congress, Darwin.
- Wild, Stephen A. 1987. Recreating the JUKURRPA: adaptation and
innovation of songs and ceremonies in Warlpiri society. Clunies
Ross et al (eds.) (1987:97-)
- Waterman, Patricia Panyity. 1978. A tale-type index of
Australian Aboriginal oral narratives. FF communications,
no. 238. Helsinki: Suomalainen Tiedeakatemia / Academia
Scientiarum Fennica. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/17541359
* lists some published Warlpiri sources *
published version of 1978 PhD thesis * reviewed by Margaret
Clunies Ross The Journal of American Folklore v102 n405
- Warlukurlangu Artists. 1987. Yuendumu doors. Kuruwarri.
ISBN 0 85575 179 7 v+143pp. Canberra: AIAS. * 2nd edition: Jones
- Sutton, Peter. 1987. Mystery and change. Chapter 5. Clunies
Ross et al 1987:77–96.
- Miller, Daniel. 1987. Munn: Objectification as Culture,
Chapter 4, pp.50–67 in Material culture and mass consumption
by Daniel Miller. Social Archaeology series. Basil Blackwell.
Reprinted with new epilogue, 1994. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12875947
- Jones, Philip. 1987. South Australian anthropological history:
the Board for Anthropological Research and its early
expeditions. Records of the South Australian Museum
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. Totem, rêve et langage. Les
Warlpiri du désert central australien. Annales de la
Fondation Fyssen No.3 (3e trimestre 1987),59-67. [194, rue
de Rivoli - Paris Ier Te/l. 18.104.22.168]
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. Lieux et liens en Australie. L'Homme
- Glowczewski, Barbara & F. Guattari. 1987. Espaces de
rêves: Les Warlpiri. Exposé et discussion (18 janvier 1983, 26
février 1985) Chimères 1:4-37. * on the dreams of the
- Glowczewski, Barbara & Charles-Henry Pradelles de Latour.
1987. La diagonale de la belle-mère. L'Homme
27.104:27-53. DOI : 10.3406/hom.1987.368893 http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/hom_0439-4216_1987_num_27_104_368893
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. La Peur de l'Autre chez les
Warlpiri du désert central australien. Vers des sociétés
pluriculturelles. Actes du Colloque de l'AFA, janv. 1986,
Paris, Éd. de l'ORSTOM.
- Clunies Ross, Margaret, Tamsin Donaldson & Stephen A. Wild
(eds). 1987. Songs of Aboriginal Australia. Sydney:
University of Sydney. viii+199pp. Oceania Monographs 32.
[out of print] Companion sound cassette (AIATSIS 1990).
- Cadzow, Jane. 1987. The art of the desert Dreaming. Weekend
- Brown, Jenny. 1987. Dreamings. Art from another world. Good
Weekend (April 10-11, 1987),68-70,72. * with The Age
Eric. 1987. Hundreds shot at Aboriginal community: ABC
makes documentary at Yuendumu. Media Information Australia
Eric. 1987. Hollywood iconography, a Warlpiri reading,
pp.109-124 in Television and Its Audience: International
Research Perspectives ed. by P. Drummond & R.
Patterson. London: British Film Institute.
Eric. 1987. Aboriginal content: Who's got it? -- who needs
it? Art and Text 23/4 (March-May 1987),58-79. * see
- Turner, David H. 1986. Transformation and tradition : a report
on Aboriginal development in/on the Northern Territory of
Australia. [Darwin: Dept. of Community Development, 1986].
Collation 173, 19, 21, 19, 18 p.,  p. of plates :ill., maps
;25 cm. * NT State Reference Library 305.89915 TRAN * includes
- Swain, Tony. 1986. Wapirra Know 'im now: Reflections on
spatial elements in Warlpiri Christian ritual and iconography.
Paper presented at the 11th Annual Conference of the Australian
Association for the Study of Religion, Adelaide, 1986. 17pp. ts.
- Roche, Sandra, Ron Watt & Lee Cataldi. 1986. Transferring
to English: Grade 3-4-5 at Lajamanu school. Aboriginal Child
at School 14.5(Oct/Nov 1986),3-19.
- Reece, Laurie.
1986. What the Warlpiri Aborigines believe about the origin of
everything. Creation Magazine 8.2(March),34-36. * was at
http://www.christiananswers.net/aig/m86warlp.html * https://creation.com/what-the-warlpiri-aborigines-believe-about-the-origin-of-everything
- Poulson, Christopher, Tess Ross, Tim Shopen & Peter Toyne.
. Warlpiri language and culture -- adaptation to
contemporary needs. Language in Aboriginal Australia
(Alice Springs) No.1, pp.7-12.
- O'Connor, Coral. 1986. Down in the dumps.You can do more,
Yuendumu. Melbourne Sun, circa August. * about Tidy
- Munn, Nancy D. 1986 . Walbiri Iconography. Graphic
Representation and Cultural Symbolism in a Central Australian
Society. Ithaca, London: Cornell U.P. ISBN 0-8014-0739-7
[1st ed. 1973] * "Afterword, 1986", pp.222-231 in 2nd ed. 1986,
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal media history: an inverted
sequence. Paper presented to the 1986 International Television
Studies Conference. ts. 28pp.
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal content: who's got it — who needs
it?. Keynote address: Documentary Sessions, Australian Screen
Studies Association, Sydney, December 1986. 22pp. ts. Canberra.
* see Michaels 1987
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal invention of television.
Central Australia 1982-86. The Institute Report Series.
Canberra: A.I.A.S. xxiii+159pp.
- Hamilton, Annette. 1986. Daughters of the imaginary. Canberra
Anthropology 9.2,1-25. * [AIATSIS Librarty annotation:
Discussion of divergent findings about position and powers of
women in traditional society; critique of Bell's Daughters
of the Dreaming [Bell 1983]; feminism and anthropology]
- Hale, K, M. Honda & W. O'Neil & M Laughren. 1986.
Bilingual-Bicultural Education in Nicaragua. Proceedings of the
Sixth Annual International Native American Language Issues
Institute, Oklahoma City.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1986. Les hommes du dessous et les
femmes du haut. Ouvrage collectif, Côté femmes : approches
ethnologiques, pp. 13-29. Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Gibson, D[avid] F. 1986. A Biological Survey of the Tanami
Desert in the Northern Territory Technical Report - Number
30. Alice Springs: Conservation Commission of the Northern
Territory. ISBN 07245 0836 8 ISSN 0729 9990 xiii+258pp.
- Fleming, Tom (-1990). 1986. [Interview with Reverend Tom
Fleming and his wife, Baptist missionaries] [sound recording]
Ray Aitchison (1923-). Recorded at Alice Springs 4 July 1986. 2
cassettes (ca. 135 min.) 1 7/8 ips. NLA summary: *
"Reverend and Mrs Fleming speak about their work over a 25-year
period at the Yuendumu Aboriginal settlement; beliefs of the
Walbiri (Warlpiri) people; and problems of alcoholism and petrol
sniffing. Reverend Fleming speaks about his time as a prisoner
of war during World War II and his decision to become a
missionary. * NLA
Oral History R.R LG1 ORAL
Paul. 1986. Pictures of the Dreaming : Aboriginal rock art
of Australia. Archaeol. 39.4,18-25. * p.19 mention
of Warlpiri area
- Australian Law Reform Commission. 1986. Recognition
of Aboriginal Customary Laws (ALRC Report 31) * Aboriginal
Laws inquiry * 'The ALRC received terms of reference for
this inquiry on 9 February 1977.'
- Wafer, Petronella. 1985. Personhood among the Warlpiri: a
question of gender? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the
American Anthropological Association, Washington DC,
- Scheffler, H.W. 1985. Kin classes as cultural categories: the
Walbiri case, pp.158-184 in Metaphors of Interpretation:
Essays in Honour of WEH Stanner, ed. by Diane E Barwick,
Jeremy Beckett, and Marie Reay. Canberra: Australian
National University Press.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1985. Droits territoriaux aborigène.
pp.18-26. Les rêves en terre [Ngaripalang Nungarrayi], p.27. Ethnies.
Droits de l'home et peuples autochtones. Revue de Survival
International (France) 3(automne 1985). 40F ISSN 0295-9151
- Bell, Diane. 1985. Topsy Napurrula Nelson, Teacher,
philosopher and friend, Chapter 1, pp.1-18 in Fighters and
Singers: The lives of some Australian Aboriginal women,
ed. by Isobel White, Diane Barwick & Betty Meehan. Sydney,
London, Boston: George Allen & Unwin.
Eric. 1985. How video has helped a group of Aborigines in
Australia. Media Development 1,16-18.
Eric. 1985. Constraints on knowledge in an economy of oral
information. Current Anthropology
Eric. 1985. Ask a foolish question. On the methodologies
of cross cultural media research. Australian Journal of
Cultural Studies 3.2(December),45-59.
- Wild, Stephen. 1984. Warlbiri music and culture: meaning in a
central Australian song series, in Problems and Solutions.
Occasional essays in Musicology presented to Alice M. Moyle,
ed. by Jamie C. Kassler & Jill Stubington. Sydney: Hale
& Iremonger. ISBN 0 86806 148 4 416pp. * see Wild 1979
- Stead, Jeff. A claim to Chilla Well Pastoral Lease by the
Warlpiri. January 1984. Appendix by P. Wafer, July 1983. A
Central Land Council submission on behalf of the traditional
owners of the land claimed. [v]+96+vii+8pp.
- Scheffler, Harold W. 1984. Review of Heath et al (eds.) 1982.
American Anthropologist 86:149-150.
- Rumble, John. 1984. Central Australian Aboriginal Child Care
Agency. Research Report. 76+36pp. Funded by Department of Social
Security 30th August, 1984. Chap.3 Alice Springs - Town Area.
Chap.4 Yuendumu, pp.34-50. Chap. 5 Ayers Rock. Chap.6 Docker
- Phipps, Jennifer. 1984. Entre Deux Mondes. Australians in
Paris. The Age Monthly Review 3.9(January),11-13.
- Jones, Megan Llinos. 1984. A culture in motion: a study of the
interrelationship of dancing, sorrowing, hunting, and fighting
as performed by the Warlpiri women of Central Australia.
xvi+437pp. M.A. Thesis - University of Hawaii. * AIATSIS Library
MS 2108 *
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Comprehensive analysis of the
formal movements of yawulyu (women's ritual), kankarlu (dances
for boy initiates), initiation ceremonies and sorry business and
the structurally similar non formal movements of hunting,
camping out and fighting includes detailed ethnographic accounts
of both sacred (open) and secular occasions focussing on
relationships between participants, emic and etic meanings
attached to movement and body transfiguration, techniques,
implements (including ritual); the analysis focusses on the
intercontextuality of movements (shared patterns) and the
interrelationship of contexts (the role of movement in building
up systems of environmental and cosmological meaning);
Appendices include Benesh Movement Notation for dance, sign
language, sorrowing, hunting and fighting movements; based on
fieldwork at Willowra
- Gumbert, Marc. 1984. Neither justice nor reason. A legal
and anthropological analysis of Aboriginal land rights. St
Lucia: University of Queensland Press. xvii+215pp. ISBN 0 7022
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Object Id: 83320. In Aerials
1984: Lajamanu and the Tanami desert. ODSAS: http://www.odsas.fr/scan_sets.php?doc=83320.
[accessed: 2012/8/7] * short history of Lajamanu Warlpiri
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Viol et inviolabilité: un mythe
territorial en Australie centrale. Cahiers de Littérature
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Les Aborigènes à Paris. Change
International 2(May 1984), 112–114. * + Australian
dance-troup performance * https://www.revues-litteraires.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=612
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. III. Au pays du Dreamland et de la
terre rouge: les aborigènes. Autrement Hors-série 7
(Avril 1984):133-183. (Sur la piste des droits à la terre
130-147; Le serpent Arc-en-Ciel veille sur l'Île Mornington
148-160; Les tribus du Rêve cybernétique 161-183.) 70F. ISSN
- Dutton, Geoffrey. 1984. Aboriginal dance, Hooker Creek [poem].
In John Olsen, Mary Durack, Geoffrey Dutton, Vincent Serventy
& Alex Bortignon. 1984. The land beyond time : a modern
exploration of Australia’s north-west frontiers. South
Melbourne: Macmillan * from visit one day in October 1982 *
reprinted in Dutton 1993:199
- Dubinskas, Frank A. & Sharon Traweek. 1984. Closer to the
ground: a reinterpretation of Walbiri iconography. Man
- Cribbin, John. 1984. The killing times. The Coniston
massacre 1928. 168pp. Sydney: Fontana Books. ISBN 0 00
636583 3 $6.95. * extract in Canberra Times 19/5/84
- Combe, Colleen E. 1984. Making the curriculum your own:
Report of a Total Curriculum Development Exercise in Lajamanu
School. iii+76pp. ISBN 0-949887-10-2.
- Combe, Colleen E. 1984. Lajamanu School Statement of
Policy. [iv]+24pp. ISBN 0-949887-08-0.
- Charlesworth, Max, Howard Morphy, Diane Bell & Ken Maddock
(eds). 1984. Religion in Aboriginal Australia - an anthology.
Queensland UP. * Mervyn Meggitt chapter 9 pp241–266
Eric. 1984. Aboriginal Australians and the New World
Information Order. Media Information in Australia
34,51-61. Paper presented to the ANU Public Affairs Forum on
Aborigines and International Law, November 1984.
Eric & Leonard Japanangka Granites. 1984. The cost of
video at Yuendumu. Media Information Australia. The
Quarterly Journal of Media Research and Resources.
32(May),17-25. Prepublication draft 'The costs of video in an
Aboriginal community' submitted to CAAMA during the Second
Conference of NAIBA, Alice Springs, 23-26 October 1983. 14pp.
Eric & Frances Jupurrula Kelly. . The social
organisation of an Aboriginal video workplace. Australian
Aboriginal Studies 1984/number 1:26-34. [17+2pp. Working
Draft, 19 April 1984. A.I.A.S.] Also pp.89-93 in Programme:
3rd International Video and Television Festival, ed. by M.
Bongiovanni. (Montbeliard: Centre d'Action Culturelle de
- Young, Elspeth. 1983. Income and employment for women in
remote communities: examples from the Northern Territory, Gale
- Young, Elspeth. 1983. Continuité et changement dans la
mobilité des aborigÃ¨nes: les Warlpiri du désert central
australien. L'Espace Géographique no.1,33-45. [Doin, 8,
place de l'Odéon, Paris-VIe.]
- Stead, Jeffrey. 1983. A Report to the Central Land Council on
Land Ownership in the Granites area. [Darwin]: [Aboriginal]
Sacred Sites Authority. 1/8/83. 27pp.
- Sawenko, Anatoly. 1983. Careless with the facts: land rights
film. Land Rights News Central Australia 17 (Autumn),
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1983. Rights, residence and process in
Australian territorial organisation, pp.134-145 in Aborigines,
Land Rights , ed. by Nicolas Peterson and Marcia Langton.
A.I.A.S. New Series No.42. Canberra: A.I.A.S.
- Nathan, Pam [Napurrula] & Dick Leichleitner Japanangka.
1983b. Settle Down Country. Pmere Arlaltyewele.
Malmsbury, Vic.: Kibble Books & Alice Springs: Central
Australian Aboriginal Congress. xiv+207pp. $8.50. ISBN 0 909150
- Nathan, Pam [Napurrula] & Dick Leichleitner Japanangka.
1983a. Health Business: a report for the Central
Australian Aboriginal Congress. xv+216pp. $10 (from
Congress)/$13 (bookshops). ISBN 0 85859 286 X
- Myers, Fred R. & Bette E. Clark. A claim to areas of
traditional land by the Warlpiri, Kukatja, and Ngarti. First
draft, 72pp. Central Land Council, May 1983.
- Miller, Maria [Nampijinpa]. 1983. Changes in the Games and
Pastimes of Australian Aborigines. M.A. thesis in Ergonomics,
University of California at Santa Barbara. January 1983. 152pp.
- [Millikan, David ?] 1983. Island of light. Cover title;
Catalogue for 1 hour TV documentary. Production House, Lyneham,
ACT. * AIATSIS Library call number p ISL * annotation: Brief
description of the film Island of Light.
- Millikan, David. 1983. [poster] Island of light premiere, Nova
Theatre, Monaro St. Queanbeyan, Tues 28 June 8 pm * AIATSIS
Library call number M 823
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1983. Manifestations symboliques d'une
transition économique: le 'Juluru', culte intertribal du
'cargo'. (Australie occidentale et centrale). L'Homme
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1983. Death, women, and 'value
production': the circulation of hair strings among the Walpiri
of the Central Australian Desert. (Maisons des Sciences de
l'Homme). Ethnology. An International Journal of
Cultural and Social Anthropology. Pittsburgh. 22(3) July
- Gale, Fay (ed.) 1983. We Are Bosses Our-selves. The
status and role of Aboriginal women today. x+175pp. Canberra:
A.I.A.S. New Series No. 41. ISBN 085575 138 X (from 1980 ANZAAS
- Drillon, Jacques?? . 1983. Des shows cachés depuis la création
du monde. pp.107-108. de Gubernatis, Raphael. 1983. Le
Geste-fossile. p.107. Huser, France. 1983. Monna Lisa, Warhol at
les Warlpiris. p.108. Le Nouveau Observateur.
- Clynes, Manfred. 1983. Expressive microstructure in music,
linked to living qualities, pp.76-181 in Studies of Music
Performance (J. Sundberg, editor) Papers given at a
seminar organized by the Music Acoustics Committee of the Royal
Swedish Academy of Music. Publications issued by the Royal
Swedish Academy of Music No. 39 * see alsoClynes & Nettheim
1982 * testing at Yuendumu https://www.speech.kth.se/music/publications/kma/papers/kma39-ocr.pdf
- Briane, J.F. 1983. Le Paris des aborigènes. Liberation
15/16 octobre. p.37.Aubry, Chantal. 1983. Libé 8/9
- Bell, Diane. 1983. Daughters of the Dreaming.
Melbourne: McPhee Gribble, North Sydney: George Allen &
Unwin. 297pp. ISBN 0 86861 472 6. * Reviewed by Eric Kolig Australian
Aboriginal Studies. Discussed by Hamilton 1986 * 2nd
edition: see Bell 1993
- D'un autre continent: l'Australie le rêve et le réel.
1983. Ministère des relations extérieures ARC/ Musée d'Art de la
Ville de Paris. 4 octobre - 4 décembre 1983. 90F. (M. Léon
Paroissen, Commissaire général)
- Michaels, Eric. Television - Drawing the Line: research
approaches for the example of remote Aboriginal communities.
AIAS Seminar 21 April 1983, 2.30pm. 33pp.
- Michaels, Eric. 1983. Aboriginal Australians and the New World
Information Order. Presentation to the ANU Public Affairs
Conference Aborigines and International Law November
1983, Canberra. 10pp. + 8pp. discussion.
- Michaels, Eric and Peter Toyne. 1983. Out of touch: the costs
of not having telephone in a remote community. 9pp. [Yuendumu,
- Aboriginal Cultural Foundation. 1983. Linking the tribal
chain. Yulngu 2.9.47-55. * AIATSIS abstract: account of
inter-tribal Festival Gathering at Lajamanu (Hooker Creek)
- Russo, Cos & Stephen G. Harris. 1982. Developing an
Aboriginal written literature, pp.51-65 in Aboriginal
Literacy: bridging the gap, ed. by Ruth Lipscombe &
Don Burnes. Adelaide: Australian Reading Association Inc. (P.O.
Box 187, Rozelle NSW 2039) ISBN 0 9596613 9 5
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1982. Service delivery and dependency, the
economic watershed of the eighties, pp.56-61 in Service
Delivery to Remote Communities, ed. by Peter Loveday.
Darwin: North Australia Research Unit, ANU. ISBN 0 86784 200 8
- Peterson, Nicolas & Elspeth Young. 1982. Land Claim to
Mount Allan Pastoral Lease. 30pp. Alice Springs: Central
- Nash, David. 1982. Aboriginal knowledge of the aeroplane
'Kookaburra'. Aboriginal History 6.1,61-73.
- Millikan, David. 1982. Zadok Centre News, July 1982.
- Lorham, Chris. 1982. Kumajay's case: A NT record of interview.
Aboriginal Law Bulletin 3(April),3-4.
- Jones, Megan Llinos. 1982. Movements to live by for the
Warlpiri women of central Australia. [i]+15pp. typescript Paper
presented at the Australian Anthropological Society meeting,
Aug. 1982, Canberra(?).
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Analysis of the roles, structures
and semantics of dance movements in both formal and non-formal
contexts; compares women's body movements in gathering and
hunting techniques with those used in dance
- Eller, John David. 1982. [Map with 381 Warlpiri place names,
for area between Lat. 22° 00'S and 22° 45'S, Long 130° 30'E and
132° 00'E. Some additional names added to original by David
Nash. Based on field work September-October 1982 primarily with
Jack Jakamarra Ross and with the assistance of Wendy Baarda.
Index compiled by David Nash.]. Cardboard ms. in two sheets.
Yuendumu. Copy held at Yuendumu Community Council (yellow
cardboard) and Warlpiri Literature Production Centre (original,
- Gerritsen, Rolf. 1982. Blackfellas and whitefellas: the
politics of service delivery to remote Aboriginal communities in
the Katheriine region, pp.16-31 in Service delivery to
remote communities, ed. by Peter Loveday. Darwin;
Australian National University, North Australia Research Unit. *
includes reference to Lajamanu * 1981 conference version:
'Thoughts on Camelot : from Herodians and Zealots to the
contemporary politics of remote Aboriginal settlement in the
- Clynes, Manfred and N. Nettheim. 1982. The Living Quality of
Music: Neuro-biologic Basis of Communicating Feeling, pp.47-82
in Music, Mind and Brain: The Neuropsychology of Music,
ed. by M. Clynes. New York: Plenum Press. * testing at Yuendumu
- Breen, Marcus. 1982. David Millikan talks to Marcus Breen. Cinema
Papers 39 (Aug),332-333,393. * interview about A
Shifting Dreaming documentary
- Breen, Marcus. 1982. A Shifting Dreaming: a dramatized
documentary. Cinema Papers 39 (Aug),330,331,393.
- Bell, Diane. 1982. Aboriginal Women and the Religious
Experience. The Young Australian Scholar Lecture Series. Number
Three. 16pp. Bedford Park, SA: Australian Association for the
Study of Religions (Sturt Campus of the SACAE). * also published
pp.237-256 in Traditional Aboriginal Society: a reader,
ed. by W.H. Edwards. MacMillan.
- Bell, Diane. 1982. Oustations: Reflections from the Centre,
pp.85-92 in Service delivery to outstations, ed. by P.
Loveday. Monograph. [Papers prepared for NARU conference Darwin
December 1981]. Darwin: Australian National University North
Australia Research Unit. ISBN 0 86784 160 5 xii+97pp. $4.50
- Barwick, R.E. 1982. The anatomy of an aircraft: a Warlpiri
engraving. Aboriginal History 6 (June/ Dec),74-80. *
aircraft engraved on Warlpiri pearlshell pendants
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1982. Warlmanpa, Warlpiri,
Mudbura and Warumungu Land Claim. Report by the Aboriginal
Land Commissioner to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and to
the Administrator of the Northern Territory. Canberra: A.G.P.S.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1982. Kaytej, Warlpiri and
Warlmanpa land claim. Report by the Aboriginal Land
Commissioner, Mr. Justice Toohey, to the Minister for Aboriginal
Affairs and to the Administrator of the Northern Territory. No.
14. Australian Government Publishing Service. [cat. no.8206696]
Paul. 1982. Australian Aboriginal rock art and the sense
of place. Am. Indian Rock Art 9,96-113. * AIATSIS
Library annotation: Wall engravings and markings representing
Dreamtime occurrences; situated at Koonalda Cave, Yuendumu,
Black Hill Pool, Carnarvon Range and Pilbara * p.98 The Granites
petroglyph, p.100 Ngama
- Young, Elspeth. 1981. Tribal Communities in Rural Areas.
The Aboriginal Component in the Australian Economy, 1. Canberra
and Miami: A.N.U.
- Australian Law Reform Commission. 19.
Customary Law Offences. Aboriginal Customary Law as a Ground
of Criminal Liability. 455. The Lajamanu Submission. *
refers to Transcript of Public Hearings Alice Springs (13 April
1981), M Luther, pages 1281-1300.
- Koch, Harold, Grace Koch, Petronella Wafer & James Wafer.
1981. A claim to areas of traditional land by the Kaytej,
Warlpiri, and Warlmanpa. Alice Springs: Central Land
Council, July 1981.
- Kimber, R.G. 1981. Some thoughts on stone arrangements Artefact
6 (Dec 1981),10-18.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1981. Le Rêve et la terre: Rapports au
temps et à l'espace des Aborigènes australien -- les Warlpiris
Ã Lajamanu, une communauté de désert central. Thése de
3-me cycle. Université Paris VII, Jussieu .
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1981. Affaire de femmes ou femmes
d'affaires. Les Walpiri du Désert Central Australien. Journal
la Société des Océanistes (Paris) 70-71[:77-97]. Tome
XXXVII. mars-juin 1981.
- Gerritsen, Rolf. 1981. Thoughts on Camelot : from Herodians
and Zealots to the contemporary politics of remote Aboriginal
settlement in the Northern Territory. [Canberra : Australian
National University]. * mentions Lajamanu
- Bell, Diane. 1981. Daughters of the dreaming. Thesis (Ph.D.),
Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian National
- Wafer, J. & P. Wafer. 1980.The Lander
Warlpiri/Anmatjirra Land Claim to Willowra Pastoral Lease.
Alice Springs: Central Land Council.
- Nash, David. 1980. A Traditional Land Claim by the
Warlmanpa, Warlpiri, Mudbura and Warumungu Traditional Owners.
Alice Springs: Central Land Council, 1980.
- Jones, Mary. 1980. The history of sacred and
Biblically-inspired dance in Australia. Nelen Yubu 1980;
6; 3-18 * Traditional Aboriginal dance; increasing white
interest; recent developments in tribal areas, e.g. Warlpiri at
Yuendumu and Lajamanu
- Jackomos, Alick. 1980. Yuendumu Sports Weekend 10th, 1-4
August 1980. Typescript article, dated 11.8.80, with list of 6
photographs; "courtesy Alice Springs Star". item 58 in Records
the Aboriginal Publications Foundation, MS3781, AIATSIS
- Harris, Pam. 1980. Measurement in tribal aboriginal
communities. xvi+141pp. ISBN 0724504575 (pbk.) [Darwin?]:
Northern Territory Department of Education.
- Hale, Kenneth L. 1980. Warlpiri: Traditional Aboriginal
Owners. ARC [Anthropology Resource Center] Newsletter
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1980. Les Aborigènes sortent de leurs
réserves. [Aboriginal people come out of the reserve.] Le
Monde du Dimanche (17 février),16; repris en anglais 'Out
of reserves and into tribal lands', The Guardian March
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1980. En Australie, je suis devenue le
rêve d'un lezard. Actuel (1980) 9/10,122-33, col. illus.
- Fleming, Rev. Tom. [1980?]. A History of the Aboriginal
Missions. 57pp. fscp roneo. [Alice Springs.]
- Bell, Diane R. 1980. Desert politics: choices in the 'marriage
market', pp.239-69 in Women and colonization:
anthropological perspectives, ed. by Mona Etienne &
Eleanor Leacock. New York: Praeger.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1980. Lander Warlpiri
Anmatjirra land claim to Willowra Pastoral Lease. Report
by the Aboriginal Land Commissioner to the Minister for
Aboriginal Affairs. Canberra: A.G.P.S.
- Wild, Stephen A. 1979. A public song series of Central Australia.
Presented to the third national conference of the Musicological Society
of Australia, Monash University, 18-21 May 1979. i+22pp. 15pp. plus 3
musical transcriptions of Yam purlapa referring to the
Yumurrpa, recorded at Hooker Creek 12/11/69 * AIATSIS
2314 * see Wild 1984
- Tynan, Barbara Joan. 1979. Medical systems in conflict : a
study of power [among the Warlpiri]. Diploma of Anthropology
thesis, University of Sydney. [ix]+226pp. * AIATSIS Library, Ms
- AIATSIS annotation: Traditional illness and medicine among the
Walbiri at Warrabri; effect of western contact on traditional
life; establishment of Warrabri, western medical philosophy;
western medical practice with Northern Territory Aborigines;
Walbiri use of traditional and western services; decision making
processes on which service to use and power relationship between
- Peterson, N. 1979. Aboriginal uses of Australian Solanaceae,
pp. 171–90 in J. G. Hawkes, R. N. Lester and A. D. Skelding
(eds), The Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae.
Linnean Society Symposium Series No. 7 London: Academic Press.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1979. Femmes ou 'business-women' du
désert central australien? Des femmes en mouvements Hebdo
- Australia. Dept. of Aboriginal Affairs. 1979. Lajamanu
N.T. Overview report. [Canberra] : Dept. of Aboriginal
Affairs. 23 leaves : 30 cm. * NLA call number Nq 305.89915 L191
- Whitbourn, John A. 1978. Emerging patterns in Aboriginal
Christianity, with special reference to Christian missions.
Warrabri Baptist Church. [ii], 66 l. * AIATSIS Library Call
number MS 1440
- Waterman, Patricia Panyity. 1978. A tale-type index of
Australian Aboriginal oral narratives. Thesis (Ph. D.) --
University of California, Berkeley. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/215975423
* lists some published Warlpiri sources * published 1987
- Scheffler, Harold W. 1978. Australian kin classification.
Cambridge Studies in Social Anthropology 23. Cambridge
University Press. xxi+569pp. * Warlpiri: pp.327-360,504-531
- Read, Peter and Engineer Jack Japaljarri. 1978. The price of
tobacco: the journey of the Warlmala to Wave Hill, 1928. Aboriginal
- Peterson, Nicolas, Patrick McConvell, Ste[ph]en Wild & Rod
Hagen. 1978. A claim to areas of traditional land by the
Walpiri and Kartangarurru - Kurintji, 1978. Prepared at
the instruction of the Central Land Council on behalf of the
Walpiri and Kartangarurru - Kurintji. Revised Version.
vi+102+8+pp. Alice Springs: Central Land Council.
- Kesteven, Susan Leighton. 1978. A sketch of Yuendumu and its
outstations. M.Env.Stud. dissertation, A.N.U. vii+94pp. 2
microfiches. * NLA Nq 320.994 CUR
- Faulstich, Paul. 1978. Of earth and dreaming abstraction and
naturalism in Warlpiri art, pp.19-23 in Comment on Aboriginal
land rights, by Eric Pratt. * AIATSIS Library P PRA, PAMPHLET
NO. P 015461
- Education Department of Western Australia. 1978. Mathematics
Syllabus with Notes, Pre-Primary to Year 7.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1978. Claim by the Warlpiri
and Kartangarurru-Kurintji. Report by the Aboriginal Land
Commissioner to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and to the
Minister for the Northern Territory. Canberra: A.G.P.S.
- Wild, Stephen A. 1977/78. Men as women: female dance symbolism
in Walbiri men's rituals. Dance Research Journal
10.1,14-22. * based on work at Hooker Creek, NT * AIATSIS
Library p WIL
- Shannon, Valda Naburula. 1977. I dream. [poem] Northern
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1977. Aboriginal uses of Australian
Solanaceae, in The Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae,
ed. by J. Hawkes. London: Academic Press. Paper delivered at
conference on Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae,
Birmingham, 13-17 July 1976. [27pp. mimeo.]
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1977. Aboriginal involvement with the
Australian economy in the Central Reserve during the Winter of
1970, pp.136-46 in Aborigines and Change: Australia in the
70s, ed. by RM Berndt. Canberra: AIAS.
- O'Grady, Frank. 1977. Francis of Central Australia.
154pp. ISBN 0 85587 114 8 Sydney: Wentworth Books. * about
Francis James McGarry 1897–1955 * events of 1945–48 in chapters
'The Torments of Tanami' and 'Mount Doreen and Yuendumu',
pages 93-124 *see Francis McGarry papers (1945–48)
- MacRae, Graeme. 1977. A Personal Statement on the
Administration of Aboriginal Affairs in Central Australia with
Special Reference to the Willowra Housing Association. Jan 1977.
5 l. "available from the architects Andrew McPhee and
Associates, Box 75. Alice Springs" * Building Supervisor of
Willowra * copy at AIATSIS PMS 783 and in MS 3254 1/4/11
- Kimber, R.G. c1977. Australian desert Aboriginals today
the Walpiri and the Pintubi. [Kit]. North Sydney, NSW:
Aboriginal Arts & Crafts. 1 booklet (60pp.), map and 67
slides in container; 28 x 16 x 8 cm. ISBN 0959697101 "Approved
by the Aboriginal Arts Board of the Australia Council." http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/21052517
* NLA call number Nmt 25 * available from The Marketing Manager,
Aboriginal Arts & Crafts Pty Ltd, 41 McLarent Street, North
Sydney NSW 2060
- Lajamanu — Hooker Creek : book of the community.
[Darwin]: Dept.of Aboriginal Affairs. 13pp. http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-52839115
* "A brief description of the physical, social and economic
situation of the Lajamanu community, Northern Territory,
- Yuendumu Mining Company. 1976. The Tanami Road.
Submission to Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works.
17 pages. The%20Tanami%20Road%20submission%20YMC%201976.pdf
- Parlette, Llewellyn Morris. 1976. The Walbiri and Px`intubi
tribes of central Australia [microform] : desert nomads or
settlement wards? 3 microfiches (158 fr.) : negative, maps.
Thesis (M.A.) - San Diego: San Diego State University. * NLA Microcopy
- Middleton, Margaret R. & Sarah H. Francis. 1976. Yuendumu
Children. Life and health on an Aboriginal settlement.
Canberra: A.G.P.S. vi+221pp. ISBN 0 642 02125 2 * Reports the
work and findings of the Aboriginal Infant Morbidity Project
carried out between 1969 and 1971 at Yuendumu
- Meyer-Rochow, V. Benno. 1976. The use of insects as human
food. Food and nutrition notes and reviews 33.4,151-152
* mentions the nutritional value of witchety grubs
- Holm, Neil & Keith R. McConnochie. 1976 . Time
perspective in Aboriginal children, pp.275-287 in Aboriginal
cognition; retrospect and prospect ed. by George E.
Kearney & D.W. McElwain. Canberra; [Atlantic Highlands], New
Jersey; Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies; Humanities
- Holm, Neil & Lionel Japanangka. 1976. The mathematics of
card playing in an Aboriginal community. The Aboriginal
Child at School 4,19-22. https://aiatsis.gov.au/sites/default/files/docs/digitised_collections/ethnomathmatics/m0061542_v_a.pdf
linked from https://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/ethnomathematics-australia/contents
- Wild, Stephen A. 1975. Walbiri music and dance in their social
and cultural nexus. Indiana University dissertation.
- Meyer-Rochow, V. Benno. 1975. Local taxonomy and terminology
for some terrestrial arthropods in five different ethnic groups
of Papua New Guinea and Central Australia. Journal of the
Royal Society of Western Australia 58.1,15-30 https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Victor_Meyer-Rochow/publication/262727231_Local_taxonomy_and_terminology_for_some_terrestrial_arthropods_in_five_different_ethnic_groups_of_Papua_New_Guinea_and_Central_Australia/links/5862350908ae6eb871aaf72d/Local-taxonomy-and-terminology-for-some-terrestrial-arthropods-in-five-different-ethnic-groups-of-Papua-New-Guinea-and-Central-Australia.pdf
* Warlpiri and Pintupi ethnoentomology, from July 1973 visit
- Fine, Michael. 1975. An analysis of adopted cults in central
Australia: social groups and ritual amonst the Walbiri and
Aranda. U. Sydney B.A. (Hons). 60,pp. diag., map. * Coppell
- Cawte, John.
1974. Medicine is the law :
studies in psychiatric anthropology of Australian tribal
societies. Adelaide: Rigby. * annotation:
"Transcultural psychiatry, child development among the Walbiri
at Yuendumu; Aboriginal doctor, medicine and law among Walbiri,
- Sheehan, Peter W. 1973. The variability of eidetic imagery
among Australian Aboriginal children [at Bamyili and Hooker
Creek Reserves]. J. Social Psychol. 91,29-36. * AIATSIS
Library p SHE
- Munn, Nancy D. 1973. The spatial representation of cosmic
order in Walbiri iconography, Chapter 11, pp.193-220 in Primitive
art and society, edited by Anthony Forge. London: OUP.
ISBN 0-19-212953-8 * Papers delivered at a symposium sponsored
by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, held
in Burg Wartenstein from 27 June to 5 July 1967
- see Munn 1986 .
- Corden, Margaret W. 1973. The dietary situation at Yuendumu
and Papunya, pp.10-48 in Some observations on the diets and
nutrition of Aboriginal people in central Australia. ts.
Commonwealth Department of Health.
- Williamson, JJ & MJ Barrett. 1972. Oral health of
Australian Aborigines : endemic dental fluorosis. Australian
Dental Journal 17.4,266-268. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1972.tb04929.x
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Study of 202 Wailbri and Pintubi
children and young adults at Yuendumu, methods used, results,
discussion - incidence of fluorosis, comparison with U.S.
children, high water consumption
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1972. Understanding Australian Aboriginal
society: kinship systems or cultural categories?, pp.64-87 in Kinship
in the Morgan centennial Year, ed. P. Reining. Washington,
D.C.: Anthropological Society of Washington. 190pp.
- "(Tape 6) Eibl-Eibesfeldt Yuendumu 1972 [Womens ceremony]"
audiotape reels deposted at AIATSIS by Nicolas Peterson.
'Nic Peterson Collection [Additions]' PETERSON_N04, AIATSIS.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1972. Derby talks to Nicolas Peterson :
(Yuendumu, August 1972). 12 pages typescript. * AIATSIS Library
- Anon. 1972. New museum will house sacred Aboriginal objects. Journal
the Royal Historical Society of Queensland 9.3,216-8. http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:210077/s00855804_1971_1972_9_3_216.pdf
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1971. The structure of two Australian
Aboriginal ecosystems. PhD thesis, Dept of Anthropology,
University of Sydney. , xvi, 422 pp. * http:/
- Holm, Neil. 1971. Future time perspective in children from
three Northern Territory Aboriginal communities. B.A.(Hons.)
thesis, University of New England, Armidale, NSW * AIATSIS
Library MS 1256 * includes Lajamanu
- Barrett, Murray J. & Tasman Brown. 1971. Growth study of
Australian Aborigines. Terminal Progress Report. In Collected
and Reports, 1953-1973. University of Adelaide, Department
of Restorative Dentistry, 1976.
- Peterson, Nicolas. . Buluwandi: a Central Australian
ceremony for the resolution of conflict. In Australian
Aboriginal anthropology: modern studies in the social
anthropology of the Australian Aborigines, ed. by Ronald
Murray Berndt. [xiv]+341pp. [Nedlands]: Published for the AIAS
by the University of Western Australia Press. * Papers presented
at Social Anthropology symposium during AIAS General Meeting,
Canberra, May 1968.
- Munn, Nancy. 1970. The transformation of subjects into objects
in Walbiri and Pitjantjatjara mythology, in R. Berndt (ed.)
1970. Australian Aboriginal
Anthropology. Perth: University of Western Australia
- [Anon.] . Yuendumu : Tjaru. Yuendumu Social Club
Incorporated. [i], 38 p., b&w photographs * AIATSIS call
number p YUE * http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/50561026
- [Anon.] 1970. [Stories of the shields]. 12p. typescript.
AIATSIS Library MS 594 * deposited by Adrian Fleming * AIATSIS
Library Abstract: "Twenty shields from Yuendumu collected for
A.I.A.S., for each gives name of artist (Wailbri & Pintubi
tribes), brief version of story, associated topographical
features near settlement, features of designs symbolising parts
- Peterson, N. 1969. Secular and ritual links: two basic and
opposed principles of Australian social organisation as
illustrated by Walbiri ethnography. Mankind 7,27–35.
- Morrison, Albert. 1969. How the frogmouth obtained his flat
beak [manuscript]. 1p. * NLA Manuscript Reading Room MS 2745
- NLA annotation: Account of an Aboriginal legend from the
dreamtime. Albert Morrison is a 15 year old Northern Territory
Aboriginal of the Wailbri tribe. This story won for him the
first Harney Award, an annual award inaugurated by the Welfare
Branch of the Northern Territory Administration in 1969.
- Gutwirth, Linda. 1969. The role of male initiation rites among
the Walbiri of central Australia. iii+25pp. M.A. Thesis - City
University of New York. * AIATSIS Library PMS 3238
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Suggests that male initiation
rites among the Walbiri of central Australia are an important
device for regulating population in relation to natural
- Mountford, Charles P. 1968. Winbaraku and the myth of
Jarapiri. Rigby. xix+116pp.
- Blows, Johanna Mieke. 1968. A comparative study of the
Gunabibi-Gadjari complex in four Aboriginal tribes of the
Northern Territory. 84+[iv]pp. B.A. (Hons.) Thesis - University
of Sydney. * AIATSIS Library MS 100; MF121
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Meaning of the Murngin myth of the
Wawilak Sisters and its association with the Gunabibi ritual;
interpretations of the myth by Levi-Strauss and Roheim;
occurrence of the myth with the Murngin, Mara, Murinbata and
- Strehlow, T.G.H. 1967. Review of Gadjari among the Walbiri
Aborigines of Central Australia by M.J. Meggitt (Oceania
Monograph 14) Australian Book Review 6. 9,140.
- Soneira, Abelardo. 1967. Estudio comparativo sobre dimensiones
buco-linguales en dientes temporarios y permanentes, y sobre
medidas de las arcades dentales de los aboriginenes australianos
(Yuendumu) y de los indios Motilones de Tokuko (Venezuela)
[Comparative study of the buccal-lingual dimensions of temporary
and permanent teeth,and on measurements of the dental arcedes of
Australian Aborigines (Yuendumu) and of the Motilones Indians of
Tokuko (Venezuela). Instituto de Investigaciones Odontologicas
de la Facultad de Odontologia. Universidad del Zulia Annales
- Kidson, M.A. 1967. Psychiatric disorders in the Walbiri,
central Australia. Aust NZ J Psychiatry
- Greenway, John. 1967. [Review of 1965 film] Ngoora: a camping
place / produced by the University of Adelaide for the
Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies. American
- Odling-Smee, David. 1967. Observations of the value of
boarding schools for Aboriginal boys, based on the experience of
Yuendumu boys at Geelong Church of England Grammar School,
December 2nd - 15th, 1966. Special
Schools Bulletin 4.3,6 9.
AIATSIS Library annotation: Discusses adaptability, choice of
- Anon. . 'General details of Papunya and Yuendumu' 3pp.
roneo. [NT Administration.] Copy in Series 15, item 46, Records
the Aboriginal Publications Foundation, MS3781, AIATSIS
- Meggitt, Mervyn John. 1966. Gadjari among the Walbiri
Aborigines of Central Australia. Oceania 36.3,-213;
no.4,-315; 37.1,-48; no.2,-147. Oceania
Monographs 14, 1967 * out of print * reviewed by Strehlow
- Campbell, Thomas Draper. 1966. Aboriginal food on a walkabout
in central Australia, pp.151-155 in 'The Ecology of the
Aboriginal in South and Central Australia' by J.B. Cleland,
pp.111-158 in Aboriginal Man in South and Central Australia,
ed. by B.C. Cotton. Handbook of the Flora and Fauna of South
Australia, issued by the South Australian Branch of the
British Science Guild Handbooks Committee. Part I. Adelaide:
S.A. Government Printer.
- Prasada Rao, P.D. 1965. Finger and palm prints of the
Aboriginal children at Yuendumu settlement in central Australia.
Oceania 35.4, 305-316.
- Northern Territory Administration. Welfare Branch. 1965. Warrabri
Reserve. May, 1965. 26pp. (other editions in 1960, 1961) *
copy at AIATSIS Library
- Jones, Trevor Alan. 1965. * see wlp-song-ref.html
- Hartwig, M.C. 1965. The progress of white settlement in the
Alice Springs District and its effects upon the Aboriginal
inhabitants 1860-1894. University of Adelaide. Ph.D. thesis.
- Gresham, H, Tasman Brown, MJ Barrett. 1965. Skeletal and
denture patterns in children from Yuendumu, Central Australia,
and Melbourne. Australian Dental Journal
10.6(Dec),462-8. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1965.tb01674.x
* uses 1961 and 1962 roentgenograms
- Cawte, J.E. and M.A. Kidson. 1965. Ethnopsychiatry in central
Australia II. The evolution of illness in a Walbiri lineage. The
Journal of Psychiatry 111,1079-1085 http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.111.480.1079
- Brown, T. 1965. Craniofacial variations in a Central
Australian tribe: a radiographic investigation of young adult
males and females. Adelaide: Libraries Board of S.A. (University
of Adelaide M.D.S. thesis, 1963.) xii+182pp.
- Barrett, MJ, T. Brown, and Elizabeth A. Fanning. 1965. A
long-term study of the dental and craniofacial characteristics
of a tribe of Central Australian aborigines. Australian
Dental Journal 10.1(February),63–68. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1965.tb01603.x
- Munn, Nancy. 1964. Totemic designs and group continuity in
Walbiri cosmology. In M. Reay (ed.) Aborigines now: new perspectives in the study of
Aboriginal communities, pp. 83-100. Sydney: Angus &
- Brown, T. and M.J. Barrett. 1964. A roentgenographic study of
facial morphology in a tribe of Central Australian aborigines. American
of Physical Anthropology 22.1(March),33–42. DOI: 10.1002/ajpa.1330220114
- Barrett, MJ, T. Brown, and K.M. Cellier. 1964. Tooth eruption
sequence in a tribe of Central Australian aborigines. American
of Physical Anthropology 22.1(March),79–89. DOI:
10.1002/ajpa.1330220119 * Yuendumu
- Strehlow, T.G.H. 1963. Review of Desert People by M.J.
Meggitt (Angus and Robertson, 1962). Nation 110(12
- Munn, Nancy. 1963. The Walbiri sand story. Australian
Territories 3.6,37–44. * reprinted in Cohen (ed.) 2016
- Lockwood, Douglas. 1963. We, the Aborigines. Cassell
Australia Ltd. * Walkabout Pocketbook edition 1970 Ure Smith,
Sydney * portraits of several Warlpiri individuals at Yuendumu,
- Glenn, E. 1963. Warlpiri and State Department graphics. American
- Barrett, M.J., T. Brown, and M.R. Macdonald. 1963. Dental
observations on Australian aborigines: a roentgenographic study
of prognathism. Australian Dental Journal 8.5(October),
418–427. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1963.tb02648.x *
- Attenborough, David. 1963. Quest
Capricorn. London: Lutterworth Press. ISBN-13:
paperback, 1967 * Chap. 10 'Men of the
desert'', pp.144-162 * monochrome photographs, and colour
frontispiece 'The old men smeared the ochre on their bodies and
on the sacred stones: Yuendumu'
* The early years: Quest
under Capricorn (audio cassette) BBC Consumer
Publishing, 2001, ISBN-13: 978-0563535652
- Adler, Selma. 1963. Contemporary change in a central
Australian society. Urbana, Illinois. iv+85ll. M.A. Thesis -
University of Illinois
- * Study of the Walbiri community on Mt Doreen station;
emphasis on changing family structure and increasing
matrifocality. * AIATSIS Library MS 1321
- Munn, Nancy D. 1962. Walbiri graphic signs: an analysis. American
Anthropologist 64,972-984. http://www.jstor.org/stable/666947
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1962. Desert People. A study of the
Walbiri Aborigines of Central Australia. Sydney: Angus
& Roberston. Reprinted 1965, Chicago, London: University of
Chicago Press; Toronto: University of Toronto Press. * reviewed
by Strehlow 1963
- Anonymous. 1960. Warrabri Aboriginal reserve. Dawn
- Northern Territory Administration. Welfare Branch. 1960. Warrabri
reserve, Central Australia. 49pp., map http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/26940351
* other editions in 1961, 1965
- Hartwig, M.C. 1960. The Coniston killings. Unpublished B.A.
thesis, University of Adelaide, 1960.
- Cran, James Alexander. 1960. The histological structure of the
teeth of Central Australian Aborigines and the relationship to
dental caries incidence. Australian Dental Journal 5.2
(April), 100-104. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1960.tb03159.x
AIATSIS Library annotation: Investigation of histological
structure of teeth of 30 adult Central Australian Aborigines
from Yuendumu settlement; characteristics of enamel ; low
incidence of dental caries due to low content of refined
carbohydrate in diet
- Cran, James Alexander. 1959. The relationship of diet to
dental caries. Australian Dental Journal
4.3(June),182-190. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1959.tb01400.x
* compares Yuendumu and Koonibba * page 183 Adelaide Expeditions
- Mountford, CP. 1959 - Yuendumu PRG 1218/18 State Library of
South Australia 'archival collection (PRG 1218) contains
photographs, field notes, diaries, artworks and
- Bjerre, Jens. 1958. Blandt menneskeaedere pa Ny Guinea.
Translated as Die letzten kannibalen. Hamburg : Bei Hand
* "One section on area west of Yuendumu; (Waljbiri); Author
spent 7 weeks in desert"
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1958. Two Australian Aboriginal games and a
problem of diffusion. Mankind 5.5,191–194. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1835-9310.1958.tb00306.x
- Northern Territory. Welfare Ordinance 1953-1955, Schedule :
register of wards. Northern Territory Government Gazette
13 May 1957, 19B. 272pp. Sydney: "Truth" and "Sportsman" Ltd.,
Printers. * AIATSIS Library B N874.04/W1
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Lists area of residence, name,
tribal name, tribe, sex and year of birth of wards.
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1957. Notes on the vegetable foods of the
Walbiri of central Australia. Oceania 28.2,143–145. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40329093
- Gartrell, Marjorie. 1957. Dear primitive : a nurse among
the Aborigines. Sydney: Angus and Robertson. * Yuendumu :
'Getting acquainted', chapter 1, pages 1-13
- Cran, James Alexander. 1957. Notes on the teeth and gingivae
of Central Australian Aborigines. Australian Dental Journal
2.5(Oct), 277-282. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1957.tb00576.x
* from 1956 visit to Yuendumu * map shows 'Desert Ground'
one-third distance from Chillawell [sic] to The Granites
- Barrett, MJ. 1957. Dental observations on Australian
aborigines: tooth eruption sequence. Australian Dental
Journal 2.4(August),217–227. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1957.tb01770.x
- Mountford, CP. 1956 - Central Mt Wedge PRG 1218/22 State
Library of South Australia 'archival collection (PRG 1218)
contains photographs, field notes, diaries, artworks and
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1955. Walbiri society, central Australia.
MA(Hons) thesis, Dept of Anthropology, University of Sydney.
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1955. Djanba among the Walbiri. Australia
- Cran, James Alexander. 1955. Notes on the teeth and gingivae
of Central Australian Aborigines. Australian journal of
dentistry (Dec. 1955),356-361. * from May 1955 visit to
AIATSIS Library annotation: Yuendumu; Clinical and
bacteriological tests on 118 natives who have adopted civilized
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1955. Botanical traverses by motor
car in Central Australia. The
Victorian Naturalist 72.8:122-123. * from Sept 1930;
concludes with Alice Springs to Mt Doreen via Yuendumu in August
1951 * no Warlpiri content
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W.R. Adey. 1955. The
non-metrical characteristics of a Central Australian tribe. Oceania 25.3,198-207.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Observations of a single group in
the Yuendumu settlement of Njalia [sc. Ngalia] people; Attention
drawn to discrepancy in records of the incidence of blondness
before and after 1932.
- Simmons, Roy T, JJ Graydon & NM Semple. 1954. A blood
group genetical survey in Australian Aborigines. American
journal of physical anthropology 12.4(December),599–606. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.1330120409
* includes 1951 at Yuendumu
- Hansen, Ian V. An account of the Ngalia initiation ceremonies
at Yuendumu, Central Australia, January 1953. Transactions of the Royal Society
of South Australia Incorporated 77 (July 1954),
* see Hansen 2002
- Cleland, J.B. and N.B. Tindale. 1954. Ecological surroundings
of the Ngalia natives in Central Australia, and native names and
uses of plants. Transactions
of the Royal Society of South Australia Incorporated
77, July 1954.
- Campbell, T. D. (Thomas Draper) and M.J. Barrett. 1953. Dental
observations on Australian Aborigines : a changing environment
and food pattern. Australian journal of dentistry 57.1,
AIATSIS Library annotation: Adelaide University field work 1951,
1952, Yuendumu; Aboriginal life at settlement, diet & diet
habits under natural conditions, diet pattern on settlement,
special food issues, preparation & consumption, habits
- Barrett, M.J. 1953. Dental observations on Australian
Aborigines, Yuendumu, Central Australia, 1951-52. Australian
Journal of Dentistry 57.3, 127-138.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Age & sex grouping, method of
examinations, results & discussion on dental caries,
occlusal attrition, condition of gingivae, diet & its
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W. R.(Ross) Adey. 1953.
Pigmentation in a central Australian tribe with special
reference to fair-headedness. American
Journal of Physical Anthropology n.s. 11, 339-359.
- AIATSIS Library Annotation: "Tests on colour of skin, eyes,
hair on 100 individuals of Ngalia tribe at Yuendumu; Blondness
suggested to be from simple gene mutation" * materials, methods
and results of tests taken at Yuendumu in 1951; Ngalia group of
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W.R. (Ross) Adey. 1953.
Ossification in a Central Australian tribe. Human Biology 25.4, 265-278
* AIATSIS Library Annotation: Materials, methods and results of
tests taken at Yuendumu; Ngalia group of the Walbiri
- Harney, William Edward. 1951. Snakes and Aboriginal lore. Walkabout17.11,29-31.
AIATSIS Library p 6893 * AIATSIS Library annotation: 'waterhole
belief of Wailbri at Barrow Creek' is misleading: p.30 mentions
'djila' a permanent water in the desert west of Barrow Creek
- Mountford, CP. 1951 - Yuendumu PRG 1218/18 State Library of
South Australia 'archival collection (PRG 1218) contains
photographs, field notes, diaries, artworks and
- Harney, William Edward. 1947. Brimming billabongs : the
life story of an Australian Aboriginal. Sydney: Angus
& Robertson. * fictionalised autobiography of an Iwaidja
man; pp.158-72 is set near Central Mount Wedge and "Bigale";
includes a few Warlpiri words
- Francis McGarry papers, pictorial material and relics, ca.
1907–1972. State Library of NSW. https://search.sl.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1cvjue2/ADLIB110320030
* see O'Grady 1977
- Black, E. Couper & Sir John Burton Cleland. 1938.
Pathological lesions in Australian Aborigines, Central Australia
(Granites) and Flinders Range. Journal of Tropical Medicine
& Hygiene 41(5),69-83. * AIATSIS p 7873 Photocopy *
see Jones 1987
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Describes cases of neoplasms and
cysts, muscle, bone and joint diseases; genital and skin
diseases, scars, infections, boomerang leg and yaws & eye
& ear conditions among the Walpiri and Anjamatana
- Stanner, WEH. Aborigines
and Tennant’s Creek. [Letter to editor.] Sydney Morning Herald, 5
August 1936. * about 3/8/1936 item
- Tennant Creek/ Production
of gold. Pioneers to celebrate. Sydney Morning Herald, 3 August 1936. *
about 'Warramulla' coming to Tennant Creek from south-west and
- Mountford, CP. 1936 - The Granites PRG 1218/7 State Library of
South Australia 'archival collection (PRG 1218) contains
photographs, field notes, diaries, artworks and
- Pockley, FJA. 1933. [Journal of 1933 expedition Hermannsburg
to Mt Liebig.] Published 1995 The Flight
of Ducks. * includes several mentions like this Ngalia
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1933. The natives of Central
Australia. Medical Journal of Australia 20 (11 Mar
1933),322-324. * AIATSIS Library p 5964 ; p 13112 * See Jones
AIATSIS Library annotation: Outline of anthropological work
carried out Mount Liebig 1932 among Ngalia, Pintubi & Yumu,
section of Luritja tribe; account of spearing & abduction by
7 men; notes of cooperation given to party; 6-item summary of
tribes & tribal distribution; European contact to be
avoided, physiological observations, metabolism, pulse, blood
pressure, blood grouping, pathological observations; collection
of lizards, grubs & roots for investigation; anthropometric
& general anatomical observations, plaster cast work,
photography, legends, songs & stories, climatology; Team
included T.D. Campbell, T. Harvey Johnston, C.S. Hicks, H.K.
Fry, H.M. Hale, N.B. Tindale, E.O. Stocker, J.H. Gray, E.W.
Holden, H. Moore, E. Eldridge
- Baume, Eric. 1933. Tragedy track : the story of The
Granites. Sydney: Johnson.
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1931. Anthropological expedition to
Central Australia. Medical Journal of Australia 18 (19
Dec 1931),793-796. * AIATSIS Library p 5997; p 13123 *
AIATSIS Library annotation: Brief outline of investigations
carried out Cockatoo Creek 1931; general remarks on environment,
type of food, recent killing case and police retaliation, health
of children, cases of boomerang leg, 'pot bellies', kindly
treatment by elders; good nature, patience, sense of humour;
food shared communally, examples, moral behaviour, marriage,
role of women, clothing, remarks on rubbery nature of soles of
feet, technique of bloodletting, 8 class marriage system common
to Anmatjera, Ilpirra, Luritja, Yumi, Ngalia, Walmala tribes;
increase rites and ceremonies; methods used to get information,
blood grouping, morphology, ophthalmology, cognitive ability
tested, basal metabolism; party comprised T.D. Campbell, T.
Harvey Johnston, C.S. Hicks, H.J. Wilkinson, R.H. Pulleine, H.K.
Fry, R.F. Matters, H.M. Hale, N. Tindale, H. Gray, O. Stocker,
- Eylmann, Erhard. 1908. Die Eingeborenen der Kolonie
Sudaustralien. 494p. Berlin: Dietrich Reimer. http://www.archive.org/details/dieeingeborenen00eylmgoog
* traveller along OTL in 1897 * chapters XIV, XIX and XX
compiled by Robin Hodgson translated by Renate Hubel 1994,
AIATSIS Library MS 3369 * chapters XVI and XVII translated by
Sherlock 1972 * chapters 10, 12, 13, 14 translated by Gerritsen
& Gerritsen 2002 * see Eylmann 1897, Courto 1990, Courto
1996, Schröder 2002 * p.160: "Im Westen der Waramunga hat ein
Stamm seine Wohnsitze, der Wolperi oder Walperi genannt wird." *
included folded map shows 'Wolperi' northwest of Tennant Creek
- Spencer, W.B. & F.J. Gillen. 1904. The northern tribes
of central Australia. London: Macmillan. http://www.archive.org/details/northerntribesc00gillgoog
* pp.100-1, ‘Walpari’ at Tennant Creek may have been speakers of Warlmanpa
- Spencer, W.B. & F.J. Gillen. 1899. The native tribes
of central Australia. London: Macmillan. Republished 1968
New York: Dover Publications. http://www.archive.org/details/nativetribescen01gillgoog
* pp. 90-91, ‘Walpari’ at Tennant Creek may have been speakers of Warlmanpa;
also pp.89, 95
- Eylmann, Erhard. 1897-. [Australian notebooks]. Held at
Deutschen Kolonial- und Ubersee-Museum zu Bremen. * see Eylmann
Back to Warlpiri
© 2021 David Nash